+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

is ETA a residency permit?

eunseok676

May 2, 2019
i'm sponsoring my wife. who is a visiting canada.

she only has her ETA.

and application package is asking a 'copy of her visa or residency permit forthe county in which you currently reside.'

is copy of ETA okay for this?

thanks for reading!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
An ETA is simply an authority for a visa exempt passport holder to board a plane for Canada, it is not a visa or authority to enter or reside in Canada. Do you really mean a TRV ?

Others can correct me but your wife is not residing/living in Canada currently she just regarded as a visitor Canada with a limited stay so her country of residence is where she has permanent residence which is not Canada. If she were in Canada as a student or on a work permit the answer could be different given techincally she would be residing in Canada, but just as a visitor not.

A TRV by the way as sure you know on its own is only a travel document authorising the holder to travel to Canada and does not guarantee the holder entry to the country or permission to stay for any specific period that would be determined by CBSA at the border. So whilst a TRV has a validity date it is not any indication how long anyone can visit or reside in Canada.

Having said above guess no harm in including a copy of a TRV, a copy of an actual ETA would serve no value.

Last edited:

Mar1219

Star Member
Oct 31, 2018

she only has her ETA.

and application package is asking a 'copy of her visa or residency permit forthe county in which you currently reside.'

thanks for reading!
If you are applying inland then yes, she is residing in Canada. Just include a copy of the email confirmation she received upon getting her eta approved. She doesn’t need to show a visa because she is from a visa exempt country.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

she only has her ETA.

thanks for reading!
The eTA has nothing to do with it. The document to submit is a photocopy of her entry stamp. If she didn't receive an entry stamp, then include a simple letter stating that.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
To reiterate as per Canuck an ETA is irrelevant given is not a visa or authority to be in the country and is no indication of status in Canada.

Any answer here would have been influenced by whether you stated in your original post whether this is an inland or outland application which you need to clarify for any answer to be valid.about where your wife is residing as a visitor

So inland or outland to get a correct answer ?

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
To reiterate as per Canuck an ETA is irrelevant given is not a visa or authority to be in the country and is no indication of status in Canada.

Any answer here would have been influenced by whether you stated in your original post whether this is an inland or outland application which you need to clarify for any answer to be valid.about where your wife is residing as a visitor

So inland or outland to get a correct answer ?
Answer is the same whether it is inland or outland. Residence is Canada and OP's spouse should list the Canadian address in the app.