+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Confirmation of PR changed to PR automatically on entering Canada?

aelit

Jul 1, 2017
I recently received my letter of Confirmation of Permanent Residence.

I am planning to visit Canada for apartment-hunting later in the summer for 1 week, and then move permanently in the winter.

However I'm worried that as soon as I enter the country in the summer, I will "activate" my PR, and I will have to wait there until my PR card arrives...?

Can anyone tell me if this is true? Can I go to Canada on a tourist visa (I'm from Europe), with a pending CoPR, and then "activate" the PR another time?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can correct me but do not see any reason why not assuming you are visa exempt although you may well be asked to explain to CBSA why you are not activating your PR plus not sure what status of your ETA is once COPR has been issued whether that stays valid until you have actually landed.

Absolute nonsense that you need to wait for your PR card although you will need a Canadian address for it to be mailed to which many people do not have so they sort the card out later even though the downside to that once they are PR without a card outside Canada they need to apply for a PRTD to board a plane given as a PR the ETA no longer valid.

If were me given you have no idea about what may or may not happen unforseen between now and the winter given whatever the COPR expiry date is I would get the landing done ASAP along with goods to follow documentation, sort out a PRtD on return to Europe unless you can get the PR card mailed to you by a friend.

You have come this far so why not just finish the process and claim your PR given as said anything may or may not happen in the few months you are away plus once PR there are no obligations on you until you take up residence such as tax other than ensuring of course you meet the 2 out of 5 year residency obligation.

Many people by the way come for a few days or weeks to activate their PR then go home to tie things up given they simply either not quite ready but more importantly they do not want to miss the opportunity due to unforseen circumstances and there are a few unfortunate posts I am sure on the forum re the latter scenario.

Last edited:

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I recently received my letter of Confirmation of Permanent Residence.

I am planning to visit Canada for apartment-hunting later in the summer for 1 week, and then move permanently in the winter.

However I'm worried that as soon as I enter the country in the summer, I will "activate" my PR, and I will have to wait there until my PR card arrives...?

Can anyone tell me if this is true? Can I go to Canada on a tourist visa (I'm from Europe), with a pending CoPR, and then "activate" the PR another time?
What is the expiry date on your COPR?