+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is COHB (rent subsidy) considered social assistance or only OW?

ElusiveTiger

Star Member
Dec 21, 2019
Is COHB considered social assistance or is social assistance only Ontario Works? I sponsored my wife and son to Canada and got referred to Canada Ontario Housing Benefit to help with rent. I want to ensure I wont be owing money back. If nobody knows, who should I phone about this, COHB, CRA, IRCC?

Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Is COHB considered social assistance or is social assistance only Ontario Works? I sponsored my wife and son to Canada and got referred to Canada Ontario Housing Benefit to help with rent. I want to ensure I wont be owing money back. If nobody knows, who should I phone about this, COHB, CRA, IRCC?

Thank you
Not considered social assistance but it does mean that you are struggling to support yourself without government help. If you are not able to cover the cost of housing and expenses as a single person how you will be able to support 2 additional family members in Canada could be questioned. There is no specific income requirement to sponsor your spouse and unmarried children under 22 but you do need to show that you’ll be able to support your family without government help.

ElusiveTiger

Star Member
Dec 21, 2019
My family is already in Canada...wife and son.

We are on the COHB benefit which we will be receiving monthly. Are you confident it is not social assistance that will have to be repaid? The government is vague with what is considered welfare/social assistance. I'm very concerned.

Last edited: