+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Canadian PR card a travel document?

snowflake2012

Star Member
Jul 24, 2012
Question 14a) Have you held travel documents and or passports during your eligibility period?

I list my passport information.
But should I list the information about my Canadian Permanent Resident card too? Is Canadian PR card a travel document?

Thanks!

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Question 14a) Have you held travel documents and or passports during your eligibility period?

But should I list the information about my Canadian Permanent Resident card too? Is Canadian PR card a travel document?

Thanks!
There is no consensus on this one.

But just use your common sense:
Option 1: List PR card for question 14a
Option 2: Don't list PR card for question 14a

There is not a single disadvantage to Option 1, but a possible disadvantage to Option 2.

Reactions: nofrills

uncomfortable

May 11, 2017
But can you actually travel internationally using ONLY the PR Card? The answer is no, therefore I don't think it should be listed.

It is a bit of a moot point, since the Canadian Government knows very well whether you have a PR Card or not and, in case, which number it has. So I don't think there is any disadvantage in not listing it.

Nader.

Apr 16, 2017

Thanks!
Answer is No for both questions, PR card is not a travel document, it's kind of residence status.

Reactions: Stef.

jeuniii

Star Member
Oct 4, 2017
But can you actually travel internationally using ONLY the PR Card? The answer is no, therefore I don't think it should be listed.

It is a bit of a moot point, since the Canadian Government knows very well whether you have a PR Card or not and, in case, which number it has. So I don't think there is any disadvantage in not listing it.
One can enter Canada using a PR card only but cannot enter any other country using a PR card. Passport needed indeed.

GBH

Jul 25, 2014
One can enter Canada using a PR card only but cannot enter any other country using a PR card. Passport needed indeed.
I donot disagree with you, but does the question mention specifically about international travel, it just mentions travel document

CICOtawa

Star Member
Apr 17, 2015
I don't think you need to list PR card. The purpose of this question is to find the entry/exist records to Canada. They use Passport/Travel document number to check with CBSA data base.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I don't think you need to list PR card. The purpose of this question is to find the entry/exist records to Canada. They use Passport/Travel document number to check with CBSA data base.
Once you are a PR, your entries into Canada are filed under your PR card number, not under your Passport number. I can confirm that in two ways:
- I ordered my travel history from the CBSA and exactly since the day I became a PR every entry is logged under my PR card number exclusively
- If you use the automated kiosks at airports, you only need to scan your PR card.

GBH

Jul 25, 2014
I think spyfy is right, PR Card is a travel document, and some people might have got their PR Cards renewed, therefore IRCC wants us to list all of them,
Having said that I myself didn't mention PR Card details, but sent a photocopy of my card. Would Visa's count as travel documents?

kushari

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
22-06-2012
Med's Request
12-12-2013
Med's Done....
18-12-2013
Passport Req..
19-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24/03/2014
LANDED..........
27/03/2014
I think spyfy is right, PR Card is a travel document, and some people might have got their PR Cards renewed, therefore IRCC wants us to list all of them,
Having said that I myself didn't mention PR Card details, but sent a photocopy of my card. Would Visa's count as travel documents?
It definitely is not. You can't use your PR card to travel to other countries. Only a passport or travel document. Not everyone has a passport, some Syrian, Palestinian etc. refugees have travel documents (look like passports) from other countries like Egypt, Lebanon, etc. PR card doesn't allow you to go to another country.

Krutika

Star Member
May 5, 2016
This is very ambiguous : this part lists PR Card and Visas as travel documents..
https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/documents?_ga=2.190264939.1116200653.1508732785-1800975862.1497909879
I don't know .. I guess the question is poorly worded .. most people will look for documents that are required internationally, to travel during the eligibility period ..

PR card to enter Canada is a 'localized convenience' for Canadian PR's.. it will probably allow you to board a flight to Canada .. I have never done this personally, but some guys are saying so, so ok, we'll bite ..
Just like using a Nexus card or enhanced driver's license to get between US and Canada .. this are based on 'localized treaties/conveniences' .. they are not internationally recognized/binding ..
Just like NAFTA allows you to work easily between US/Canada/Mexico .. the work permits is easy to get for citizens of the 3 countries ..

To transcend those 'conveniences' internationally .. and think of your PR Card as an international travel document, would be wrong I think ..
You can not use your PR card to get into any other country in the world .. and if you find yourself in some remote banana republic, they may want to see your passport as well, or not allow you on a plane to Canada with just PR card ..