+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Canada undergoing recession?

sm9

Jul 24, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Fellow members,

I am trying for Canadian PR for quite some time now. My friends moved to Canada few months back and they are struggling for good jobs, though they have picked up survival jobs and got their kid admitted in a public school. I was told Canada is undergoing the biggest recession ever and consultants are the once who are minting huge money from hourly pay of candidates.

I am a HR Professional and thought of applying for HR Licence and working there but was told even after I get a licence the wait period for HR jobs in somewhere between 8-10 yrs.

Please suggest would it be the right time to move? I am desperately waiting for FSW to open in March’13.

Also, suggest is there a way we can try for PNP route?

In anticipation of help from experienced and senior community members.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think Canada is undergoing recession, its true new immigrants are doing survival jobs but that has nothing to do with recession.

Here are some of the reasons I think Canada is doing fine:

1. Canada is the least affected among the G8 countries and was able to recover the earliest.
2. Some economists may say otherwise but housing market is rock solid, although sales have decreased but prices are still rising, so real estate investment is pretty good. Most Canadians will skip meals but they will not skip their mortgage payments. Either ways economists say opposite to what is stated as fact, they get to keep their jobs this way. Unlike USA you won't see $500,000 houses in Toronto going for $200,000 in our lifetime.
3. Foreign investment is pouring into this country especially from China
4. Contrary to USA, Canada has a pretty relaxed immigration system there is always a constant flow of new immigrants, these people are also sponsoring their family members, therefore more people are pouring money into the country. Its a whole different story they may be doing survival jobs but they are spending money to buy clothes, food and rent.
5. We are not only paying a lot of taxes, and in almost every stage of transaction but also a high percentage of tax (depending on province) anywhere from 10% to 13% (income tax, property tax, land transfer tax, sales, tax, harmonized sales tax, tax on phone bill, food tax, service tax, alcohol tax) So the government has billions and billions of dollars that are generated every single day by Canadians and Immigrants. So to even think Canada will ever need bail out like Greece is ludicrous.
6. If you are living in Toronto, just walk outside and experience it for yourself, restaurants are bustling, exhibitions are packed, different international film festivals are being held every year, sales of new cars have increased this year, people are going on transatlantic vacations, so life is pretty good for most Canadians.
7. More American retail companies are flooding into Canada, most resent is Target retail store.

I am oblivious about the recession until I switch on the TV and watch the world news or if someone mentions it in a forum like this. Anyway that's my 2 cents, hope this helps.

sm9

Jul 24, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank You newtone...Your descriptive revert is much appreciated... Immigration is one of the biggest decision of our life and as we are in good jobs in India we were little cautious while deciding something which can affect our lifes.. But when I look at it in the long run, I know I will be able to provide a better enviornment, facilities and lifestyle to my daughter in Canada as compared to India..
We are trying for jobs in Canada so that my husband can move first and apply for PR. Me and my daughter can move little later once things are settled there..Fingers crossed...
How much time it takes for PR once a person gets employment in Canada?
We are also not sure of the changes FSW will have once it reopens in 2013..
Is there any other route which we can consider??

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Check out the following link for more information

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/coverting-work-permit-to-permanent-residence-within-canada-t14134.0.html