+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Canada a Better Place Than the UAE / Gulf?

TheMapleLeaf

Aug 10, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Aug-2014
Doc's Request.
11-May-2015 (Information Chart & PCC's)
File Transfer...
01-Dec-2014
Med's Request
10-Jul-2015
Med's Done....
12-Jul-2015
Passport Req..
05-Aug-2015
VISA ISSUED...
15-Sep-2015
LANDED..........
25-Dec-2015
nishesh3003 said:
We are comparing APPLES and ORANGES here. They both serve a purpose - nutrition; but in their own way.

Comparing one with the other is fine. But what is important in doing so is understanding what aspect are you comparing and why are you comparing it.

I have been working in the UAE for quiet sometime now. I have also lived in Canada, USA and UK for a relatively short periods of time.

UAE - first up is the best country to live in as far as the Middle East is concerned. But, the life this country offers - comes with a set of rules.

Everybody knows this country offers high living standards IF you measure up to a certain income level. This feature, however, is inherent in any country that you pick on the globe. So if there are people who fall below certain income group - you will fall in a different bracket as far as living standards are concerned which may not be as attractive as others. UAE as such is not to be put on a spot for this because this is plain economics.

The country does have some preset standards when it comes to employment. Example: Local Emiratis/Arabs are always the stakeholders in any sphere and domain (99%). Then you will generally find Caucasians (Europeans/Americans/Australians) at the top of the food chain (Management or Executives) followed by the Middle east immigrants - Egyptians, Jordanians etc (Senior Managers/VPs). The South east Asians such as Indians, Srilankans, Pakistanis etc then follow up and make the working class. At the bottom of the pyramid (general cases) are Filipinos, Pashtos etc who make the labor segment. There is no rule book that specifies this. But this is the pyramid the whole society falls into if you look closely. The downside is that even before you start you know its only so far you could probably go as far as the economic ladder is put. But then - you also need to look into the geographical and socio-economic background that these segment of population come from. For example - an American or a European will most certainly NEVER complain about 'citizenship' because they do not intend to spend the rest of their lives in this part of the world. Money is probably the only stimulus as far as they are concerned. The exact same goes for Filipinos/Pashtos at the bottom of the pyramid because their expectations coming in to the country are only so much.

Its mostly the working class towards the middle of the pyramid, the ones in a constant need to progress and catch up economically with the upper segment of the triangle who fall into the zone of uncertainty. This leads to higher expectations under the circumstance where the rules, which may not always agree with you, have been clearly laid out in the first place to begin with.

Therefore the basic aspects to consider here are LIVING and LIFE.

Its pointless to talk about racism, favoritism, biasness, social insecurity etc because its prevalent in every country in the world. If I face ONE instance of racism living in a given country I could brand it as a racist society. But that only applies to me or in most cases to a given percentage of people who agree with my views. Truth can be different.

UAE is a country where LIVING aspects are more focused upon. And with LIVING - follows bills and due dates. Rents are high. Education is expensive. Books are expensive. Healthcare is expensive. But they all generally match up to the price when it comes to quality and service. Its a different point altogether that you may not have an option to settle for something within your wallet whereby you will be financially shelling out more than you may have been willing to. As far as employment is concerned - as I plotted the pyramid earlier - you have to make peace with it. That is why you choose to continue to live in the country. Period. On weekends - you could take a trip to a mall; then to another one; then another one until you've come full circle. Then you stop. And then you start again. At most, you would be touring abroad on a couple of occasions annually but apart from that there is only so much activities you can do while you live in this country.

You could buy a house in certain freehold areas but the prices are mostly exorbitant and you wont find something to fit your wallet even if you could afford something at a lower price range because that aspect is generally missing. Even if you could buy a house - you are on an 'Employment' Visa. For some reason either you or the employer decides to part ways and you will be the one left in a situation.

That is why people generally come in to the UAE with a certain level of expectation of achieving an economic goal and then sooner or later head home. That is all to it. Whether you would like to make peace with what the country takes in return from you and be happy is your choice.

Living in any western country is where LIFE comes into picture. And it is the most prevalent as far as Canada is concerned. It offers you Social Security. It offers you citizenship. And both come at an above average standard of living. You are not tied to your employer. You can choose to innovate your financial objectives and the means to achieving them (within the confines of the law). You could invest in property and you have varied options in price range. You could visit places within the country. Children have an opportunity for better extra curricular growth which are more than iPads and Xbox consoles. The country has its 'Education System' It does not lean upon other educational institutions and governing bodies to setup domestic curriculum (as in the UAE).

You will generally end up in a lower income slab in Canada (at least during initial period) than in the UAE. UAE wont apply taxes to your income but that in a way is one stimulus for the ever increasing expense to income ratio in the country. Canada will tax you. But it will also provide you with an 'opportunity' for social stability.

You have to understand these aspects which account for more than 'savings' and 'exchange rates' in the long run.

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Gulf is better. No jobs in canada now.

S7

Jun 10, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Application sent on 02 MAY 2014 Received at CIO on 08 May 2014 CC Charged on 9 July 2014 PER 19 AUG 2014 RPRF 8 April 2015
Med's Request
09 April 2015
Med's Done....
11 April 2015
Interview........
24 Mrch2015 Abu Dhabi
Passport Req..
1st May 2015
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2015 - Passport sent - 5th May 2015 - Passport returned 21 May 2015
LANDED..........
Landed 10 Aug 2015
Guys,

I'm now in Canada Its almost 6 months since I arrived from Dubai. With no doubt Canada is a better place for you and your family.

I feel home :)

Kids schools
Dubai = I used to pay 20,000 CAD per year for my 2 kids
Canada = Free

so simple calculation = 12 Years of schools * 20K = 240K

In other words Canada is paying for your kids education 240K for their studies either you work or not , you pay taxes or not.

Even if you pay taxed, you get paid other free services like health, at least $200 per month for each child from the government.

Life is much cheaper and quality is much better in everything, from schools to groceries to services.

Canada doesn't look posh in buildings and the looks, but it is posh in here the life quality.

so Think about it how much you need to work to make that 240K CAD which around 700K AED?

overall you think you get paid more in the gulf and that you save more but honestly you will have insecurity, lose your job and you are kicked out within a month.

Regards,
S7

Reactions: chinju and Nobatia

escapehere

Mar 17, 2015
I'm glad you like it here, but you seem to be comparing everything to money.

The main difference really is that you actually have real human rights and freedoms here, protected by law.

As to why all the buildings don't look as posh... well, that's because they weren't all built in the last 5-10 years. The gulf states are in a construction boom, and everything looks new and shiny. They won't always look new and shiny, and whether any of these states are really sustainable in the long term, once their oil and construction industries fade, is questionable.

S7

Jun 10, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Application sent on 02 MAY 2014 Received at CIO on 08 May 2014 CC Charged on 9 July 2014 PER 19 AUG 2014 RPRF 8 April 2015
Med's Request
09 April 2015
Med's Done....
11 April 2015
Interview........
24 Mrch2015 Abu Dhabi
Passport Req..
1st May 2015
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2015 - Passport sent - 5th May 2015 - Passport returned 21 May 2015
LANDED..........
Landed 10 Aug 2015
escapehere said:
I'm glad you like it here, but you seem to be comparing everything to money.

The main difference really is that you actually have real human rights and freedoms here, protected by law.

As to why all the buildings don't look as posh... well, that's because they weren't all built in the last 5-10 years. The gulf states are in a construction boom, and everything looks new and shiny. They won't always look new and shiny, and whether any of these states are really sustainable in the long term, once their oil and construction industries fade, is questionable.
I was just touching the areas where most of discussion is focused on .. and there is no need even to compare the freedom and the human rights because everyone knows that this fact.

JAJ84

Star Member
Nov 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2014
Doc's Request.
SLU on 01-06-2015 & PCC requested on 02-06-2015
Nomination.....
PER date 02-12-2014
AOR Received.
NA
Med's Request
27-10-2015
Med's Done....
05-11-2015 & ecas 4th line update on 12-11-2015
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
12 Jan 2016
VISA ISSUED...
submitted on 17 Jan & Received on 20th Jan
LANDED..........
Soon IA
Good to hear from you......but how's the job market these days! how long it takes to get a professional job in ur field (even paying lower than gulf)

cheers

S7 said:
I was just touching the areas where most of discussion is focused on .. and there is no need even to compare the freedom and the human rights because everyone knows that this fact.

May2010applicant

May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
April 2013
Passport Req..
January 2014
LANDED..........
January / February 2014
Somehow just got back to read all the posts again. One of the most interesting threads on this forum.
Appreciate, if anyone who got settled can now share his/her comments and experience.

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
No jobs in Alberta due to oil crisis now. How is it in UAE now?

May2010applicant

May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
April 2013
Passport Req..
January 2014
LANDED..........
January / February 2014
Every single oil exporting country’s economy is suffering these days. But still I guess UAE is better placed than Canada when it comes to oil & Gas sector.

What about GTA? Is Ontario’s economy better off due to cheap Loonie?

I have heard that masses (of immigrants) are moving to GTA from Alberta, even those who were settled for many years in Edmonton / Calgary. Is it true?

ttrajan said:
No jobs in Alberta due to oil crisis now. How is it in UAE now?

aayushri

Dec 29, 2015
Dubai
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-03-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2017
Passport Req..
20-11-2017
Loved the discussion and reading through them.

As an Indian living in Dubai (with a salary I am not sure I will ever get in Canada - imagine, equivalent to 15,000 CAD per month for a lowly marketing manager without taxes with the spouse bringing in another 6000 CAD pm as a bank analyst), I have had my doubts before I finally decided to open my profile in March. Things became difficult soon after but that's a different story.

I would chose Canada over Dubai anyday, despite similarly extreme weathers and significant drops in salary, just because of the 'free air'.

Reactions: chinju and Nobatia

May2010applicant

May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
April 2013
Passport Req..
January 2014
LANDED..........
January / February 2014
Well said aayushri. Glad to know that you have made up your mind. Keep trying and soon you will be there.

aayushri said:
Loved the discussion and reading through them.

As an Indian living in Dubai (with a salary I am not sure I will ever get in Canada - imagine, equivalent to 15,000 CAD per month for a lowly marketing manager without taxes with the spouse bringing in another 6000 CAD pm as a bank analyst), I have had my doubts before I finally decided to open my profile in March. Things became difficult soon after but that's a different story.

I would chose Canada over Dubai anyday, despite similarly extreme weathers and significant drops in salary, just because of the 'free air'.

canada11

Feb 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
15-Sep-2015
Canada is better if your family income is AED 15,000 pm or less having two school going kids .

Canada is better if your family income is between AED 15,000 to 20,000 pm having two school going kids .

Canada is better in long term of 20 years or so if your family income is between AED 20,000 to 30,000 pm having two school going kids .

UAE is better is better if your family income is between AED 30,000 to 50,000 pm by working in govt sector having two school going kids. Only downside is you will never get passport