+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Algonquin College certificate diploma valid for applying for postgraduate work permit

doctorA

Jul 8, 2017
Hello, I am an international student in Ontario and I finished diploma in May 2018 my diploma was one-year from the University of Ottawa. Now on the basis of one-year diploma, I can apply for the post-grad work permit which will be of one year and in that one year, I have to find the full-time job for a year to be eligible for CEC and PR in long run. I have started my job search but it is very challenging to find the job :(
Some are suggesting to get admission in another one year program and then Can I get 3 years post grad work permit? I am not sure that after another one year program will I get 3 years? I am very confused :(
Any suggestions and comments are welcomed?
Moreover, If I get one-year certificate program from Algonquin will I be eligible then? I am not clear on this does one-year certificate program will be counted for the visa?

Thank you in advance

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hello, I am an international student in Ontario and I finished diploma in May 2018 my diploma was one-year from the University of Ottawa. Now on the basis of one-year diploma, I can apply for the post-grad work permit which will be of one year and in that one year, I have to find the full-time job for a year to be eligible for CEC and PR in long run. I have started my job search but it is very challenging to find the job :(
Some are suggesting to get admission in another one year program and then Can I get 3 years post grad work permit? I am not sure that after another one year program will I get 3 years? I am very confused :(
Any suggestions and comments are welcomed?
Moreover, If I get one-year certificate program from Algonquin will I be eligible then? I am not clear on this does one-year certificate program will be counted for the visa?
"It depends."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/eligibility.html
"more than one program
  • a PGWP may be valid for up to three years, for example, if you finished a diploma or degree from an eligible school in Canada, and within the next two years you get a one-year graduate degree or diploma from an eligible school in Canada."
So, to have the 2nd one-year program "count" it would have to lead to a degree or a diploma, and be designated at the post-graduate / master's level ....

Reactions: doctorA