+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Is Alberta's PNP program for me?

pinkbubblegum

Oct 11, 2014
Hi everyone! CanadaVisa's such a great site, I wish I found this place sooner.
I'm currently at a crossroads on what I need to do to achieve PR, and I was curious what the opinions of other people would be.

I'm originally from the Philippines and took a 8-month certificate course for Game Art and Animation in Toronto. I was initially planning on using the Post Graduate Work Permit I'd receive to attain work experience towards CEC but after graduating, I learned a few things that made that option difficult to pursue.

The industry I was originally gunning for (from the numerous accounts I've heard) has a tendency to hire people en masse during periods of "crunch"/ near deadline and subsequently lay off these people once the project is over. This insecurity makes me question going for the game industry; Had I a 3-year working permit, I wouldn't hesitate but given that my work permit is only for 8 months, having a period where I could possibly have no work and no means to gain CEC work experience past my work permit is really scary.

I also have no work experience coming from my country. Right after taking my degree from my home country, I jumped to studying in Canada right away (I'm rolling my eyes at my naivety right now too haha. Hindsight is 20/20 after all) thinking it would be enough to find a job after studying.

So after being punched in the face by reality, I've been reading up on alternative methods to immigrate and it seems like the PNP program is a good method-- Specifically Alberta, from what I've heard. Due to the small population in the province and the propensity of its people to gravitate towards oil/mining-related jobs? (Is this true...?)

To my understanding, as long as you have a full-time employer willing to go through the trouble of filing your PNP for you, it's a valid method. Right now I'm considering going for these methods as from what I see, they're the only ones I kind qualify for.

a) Employer-Driven Stream - International Graduate Category: NOC C is the only one I qualify for, from what I've read. And it seems that despite the numerous occupations they've barred from being accepted through this method, the NOC C 642 (Retail salespersons) occupations aren't part of the list?

b) Employer-Driven Stream, Semi-Skilled Worker Category: This method requires that its candidates have varying years of work experience (The least I've seen is 2 years) which is a pretty large hurdle

I'm sorry. I'm aware that I came to Canada without fully researching the things I needed to do to accomplish PR status. If anyone has any suggestions though, I'd be really grateful to hear them, thanks c:

branded_man

Star Member
Oct 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Cio ns / cpc ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-11-2014
Doc's Request.
23-04-2015
Nomination.....
14-10-2014
AOR Received.
13-04-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted but not needed
File Transfer...
28-05-2015
Med's Request
23-04-2015
Med's Done....
07-05-2015
Interview........
Nope
Passport Req..
02-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
08-06-2015
LANDED..........
Already in canada
Hi there

The one I would suggest for u is nova scotia pnp opening on jan 2015 or manitoba. As for Alberta it takes minimum of 15 months just to receive nomination
Hope you find better option or get a employer who will apply lmia once your open work permit expires
Cheers

pinkbubblegum

Oct 11, 2014
branded_man said:
The one I would suggest for u is nova scotia pnp opening on jan 2015 or manitoba. As for Alberta it takes minimum of 15 months just to receive nomination

Oh gosh you're right. I totally misjudged the processing time. On the AINP site, it mentioned a processing time of ~25 months and I assumed that was already with the CIC's PR processing time. It seems like it's just for the nomination. That compounded with the 17 months it takes to process PR applications is an amazingly long time. Especially when compared to Nova Scotia's ~3 month nomination processing period... Wow, thanks for the suggestion.

I'm looking at CanadaVisa's Eligibility page and it lists here a requirement of prior work experience of varying amounts depending on the stream you apply under-- the Skilled Worker stream requiring 12 months work experience prior to applying for the nomination. It sounds pretty doable though o:

I have a really bad habit of charging ahead with blinders on when I see a promising option so getting opinions from other people with more experience like this is super helpful. Thanks!