+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

is a job offer possible for a social worker?

socialworker35

May 1, 2020
IMO it will be hard to get a job offer unless you are fully certified, including having the supervision hours completed. However that doesn't mean it's going to be impossible.

My advice is: (1) Research the job markets in each province and target the provinces where there is a shortage of workers; (2) Make sure you know the registration requirements for each of the provinces where you are applying, plus whether supervisory hours are required; (3) When you apply for jobs in various provinces, make sure you are clear in your cover letter / resume on whether you have the provincial certification already that is required by that province (or not) and also the fact that you will need to complete the supervisory hours (if applicable for that province).

I would also say that you should definitely not count on securing a job offer to support a path to PR. Make sure you're also pursuing options that do not require you to have a job offer.

Good luck.
in order to apply for FSW program, you know, 67 is needed, but i have 63 points (meanwhile my level of eng. is CLB 7). so PNP's became an obligation for me. i searched all provinces'/territories' PNP requirements. almost all provinces/territories stipulate an offer of employment. since i do not have a family tie, i need a job offer. if i had a relative, i probably wouldn't need an offer. actually there're options that do not require an offer, but in my situation/scenario, i have to get one. i submitted an EOI to Manitoba, but interestingly, having a job offer does not earn you points. i just submitted, and waiting. so i haven't been chasing for an offer for Manitoba. I assume that I will be relatively less likely to be hired in the Atlantic provinces since they are much more preferred by qualified immigrants who are younger and have higher language scores (except, NL may be an option for me). i'm constantly applying for jobs in SK, especially northern parts. apart from this, the northern areas of ON and QC may be other options to get a job offer.

when it comes to provincial-professional certification, i would say that provinces i've been applying to generally require it. but i''ve been applying outside Canada. in fact this question has always confused me, thanks for reminding. do you think should I be registered as a Social Worker even if i haven't had an ITA? for example, if i get registered for SK (SASW) and i highlight this detail in my resume/cover letter, do you think will I be more likely to get a job offer? If I'm going to be registered in a social work body, I have to decide clearly which province it should be. I cannot register in several provinces at the same time.

Thanks for reading and taking the time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
in order to apply for FSW program, you know, 67 is needed, but i have 63 points (meanwhile my level of eng. is CLB 7). so PNP's became an obligation for me. i searched all provinces'/territories' PNP requirements. almost all provinces/territories stipulate an offer of employment. since i do not have a family tie, i need a job offer. if i had a relative, i probably wouldn't need an offer. actually there're options that do not require an offer, but in my situation/scenario, i have to get one. i submitted an EOI to Manitoba, but interestingly, having a job offer does not earn you points. i just submitted, and waiting. so i haven't been chasing for an offer for Manitoba. I assume that I will be relatively less likely to be hired in the Atlantic provinces since they are much more preferred by qualified immigrants who are younger and have higher language scores (except, NL may be an option for me). i'm constantly applying for jobs in SK, especially northern parts. apart from this, the northern areas of ON and QC may be other options to get a job offer.

when it comes to provincial-professional certification, i would say that provinces i've been applying to generally require it. but i''ve been applying outside Canada. in fact this question has always confused me, thanks for reminding. do you think should I be registered as a Social Worker even if i haven't had an ITA? for example, if i get registered for SK (SASW) and i highlight this detail in my resume/cover letter, do you think will I be more likely to get a job offer? If I'm going to be registered in a social work body, I have to decide clearly which province it should be. I cannot register in several provinces at the same time.

Getting a job offer is hard.

You should focus on improving your language test scores. This is easy to do vs. getting a job offer and you're leaving a lot of points on the table right now.

By all means continue applying for jobs, but I think you also need to explore other ways of increasing your points and qualifying given how hard it generally is to secure a job offer.

Good luck.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

You can be registered but still may not get any responses. Also if applying for jobs in Northern Communities, most likely they are looking for those who are Indigenous or those who have a deep understanding (or language) of Indigenous culture. Many social work positions may be through the provincial government or First Nations community so being a PR or citizen may be a requirement. Don't know but you need to be aware of that.