+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

is a job offer possible for a social worker?

socialworker35

May 1, 2020
hi,
i'm a social worker from outside Canada. after getting my credentials assessed and getting a sufficient IELTS score, i've been applying for a job offer from especially northern and rural areas of Canada. i know it is challenging to get an offer, but i wonder your opinions. do you think is it likely to get one? thank you.

socialworker35

May 1, 2020
hi,
i'm a social worker from outside Canada. after getting my credentials assessed and getting a sufficient IELTS score, i've been applying for a job offer from especially northern and rural areas of Canada. i know it is challenging to get an offer, but i wonder your opinions. do you think is it likely to get one? thank you.
by the way, if i get a job offer, it will be used through PNP applications.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
hi,
When you say that you are getting your credentials assessed, do you mean the CASW process? Or are you talking about ECA?

Wangs12

Feb 23, 2022
hi,
i'm a social worker from outside Canada. after getting my credentials assessed and getting a sufficient IELTS score, i've been applying for a job offer from especially northern and rural areas of Canada. i know it is challenging to get an offer, but i wonder your opinions. do you think is it likely to get one? thank you. html5 games

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
my bachelor's degree has been assessed by CASW and the master's has been assessed by WES.
That's good to hear. In some provinces you also need to work a number of supervised hours (1,000?) before you can work as a social worker. I'm not sure which provinces those are and if it's all of them. I'm assuming you've found that info already.

Good luck.

socialworker35

May 1, 2020
That's good to hear. In some provinces you also need to work a number of supervised hours (1,000?) before you can work as a social worker. I'm not sure which provinces those are and if it's all of them. I'm assuming you've found that info already.

Good luck.
yes, Alberta requires extra hours. another point is, BC and Quebec does not recognize CASW's assessment. thank you. and Scylla, i wonder your opinion regarding the likelihood of getting an offer.. i have stated my approach at the beginning of the thread. thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
yes, Alberta requires extra hours. another point is, BC and Quebec does not recognize CASW's assessment. thank you. and Scylla, i wonder your opinion regarding the likelihood of getting an offer.. i have stated my approach at the beginning of the thread. thanks
Getting a job offer may be a challenge as the employer must show that they could not hire locally or PRs or Canadians. Also assume you are working for a social service agency which may require PR or citizenship, as well as a security clearance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
IMO it will be hard to get a job offer unless you are fully certified, including having the supervision hours completed. However that doesn't mean it's going to be impossible.

My advice is: (1) Research the job markets in each province and target the provinces where there is a shortage of workers; (2) Make sure you know the registration requirements for each of the provinces where you are applying, plus whether supervisory hours are required; (3) When you apply for jobs in various provinces, make sure you are clear in your cover letter / resume on whether you have the provincial certification already that is required by that province (or not) and also the fact that you will need to complete the supervisory hours (if applicable for that province).

I would also say that you should definitely not count on securing a job offer to support a path to PR. Make sure you're also pursuing options that do not require you to have a job offer.

Good luck.

socialworker35

May 1, 2020
Getting a job offer may be a challenge as the employer must show that they could not hire locally or PRs or Canadians. Also assume you are working for a social service agency which may require PR or citizenship, as well as a security clearance.
yes Naturgrl, because of the points you mentioned, i've been applying nothern and rural areas. of course i'm not expecting that i'll immediately be recruited. i'm planning to insist applying. I hope my precious time will not be wasted. thank you