+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IS A BIRTH CERTIFICATE A TRAVEL DOCUMENT?

andreatav

Feb 21, 2018
I'm completing the dependent information on form IMM 0008 GENERIC APPLICATION FORM FOR CANADA for my husband's dependent. It's asking if she has a passport/travel document. She doesn't have a passport but is her birth certificate considered a travel document?

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
I'm completing the dependent information on form IMM 0008 GENERIC APPLICATION FORM FOR CANADA for my husband's dependent. It's asking if she has a passport/travel document. She doesn't have a passport but is her birth certificate considered a travel document?
If husband's dependent is included in the sponsorship application as an accompanying dependent, i.e., will be issued a PR visa as your husband, she will need to have a travel passport........

No.....birth certificate not considered a travel document.

You are allowed to submit your spousal sponsorship application without including a copy of the passport. However, you must ensure the passport is sent to IRCC later before the PR visa is issued.

Refer.....Note in sponsorship checklist.............
Note:
Although you do not need to have a valid passport or travel document when you submit your application, you must have a valid travel
document or passport to be able to travel to Canada and to be admitted for permanent residence.

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/forms/imm5533e.pdf

Last edited:

andreatav

Feb 21, 2018
Thank you for the prompt and thorough response. Just wanted to make absolutely sure that her birth certificate is not considered a travel document.

We won't be pursuing her PR visa at this time but on the same Generic Application form it asked how many family members are included in this application. Would she still be included even though we're not applying for her visa at this time?

Will she also be required to do a medical?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I think Wakki missed something in their post.

No ... birth certificate IS NOT considered a travel document

Everyone applying for PR needs a passport from their home country.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for the prompt and thorough response. Just wanted to make absolutely sure that her birth certificate is not considered a travel document.

We won't be pursuing her PR visa at this time but on the same Generic Application form it asked how many family members are included in this application. Would she still be included even though we're not applying for her visa at this time?

Will she also be required to do a medical?
Birth certificate is definitely not a travel document.

Yes - she will require a medical.

andreatav

Feb 21, 2018
Thank you so much for the responses.

And are the police checks only for dependents over 18 years of age?

I thought I read somewhere that all family members require one even if they will not be accompanying the principal applicant to Canada.

Last edited: