+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Irish guy living in Ireland with Canadian Common Law Partner

Djdj9037

Jan 25, 2017
Hi there,
I have been in a serious relationship with my Canadian girlfriend for over a year and six months and in that time we have lived together with no breaks. Originally I was over in Vancouver, Canada, working on a 2 year IEC working holiday visa and met her. WE immediately moved in together into apartment room i was renting at the time. However we moved shortly after that back to her moms place outside of Vancouver for over six months. Then we moved back to Vancouver for 3-4 months after we saved up enough money but again returning to her moms residence for another six months before my visa ended. I returned to Ireland along with her, as she had gotten an 2 year working holiday visa for Ireland and we currently live in my parents house. We have been here over four months. We are beginning the process of applying for her to sponsor me through family class common law and for me to apply for p.r.
I am just wondering in the proof of current cohabitation section on (IMM 5589 E: Document Checklist), how will we prove it with virtually no proof of residence for a lot of the places we stayed,(Lived in over three different residences over a span of 4 or 5 months in Vancouver), with our landlords or roommates dealing with bills as places were found on Craigslist.We lived the longest amount of time together at her moms, which was over a 12 months, however she dealt with bills and leases. We may have bank drafts with our name and address for there and pay stubs from jobs but that is about it. Is there any other evidence I could give? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,

::Also does application for P.R form have to be submitted along with full common law sponsorship application as it doesn't say it required in checklist?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You are applying for PR based on being sponsored by your common-law partner, so the two things are not separate. Her application to sponsor you and your application for PR are sent together to the visa office in Mississauga; this application includes proof you are common-law.

You have to prove that you lived together for at least 12 continuous months. People have done so even when they lived in several different places during that 12 months, so it is possible.

Get an affidavit from her mother and your parents stating that you two were living with them from --- to --- as a couple, and that they believe your relationship to be genuine. If you had a rental agreement with either, great, you can include that. Also show either a rental agreement with your landlords, or get an affidavit from them. An affidavit from any roommates or neighbours would help too.

You can also show you were living at the same place by showing bills with both names on them, or by bills for each person separately which have the same address. If you got any mail at any of these places, you can show this as well: if it is an official letter, for example from a bank, you can use the letter; if it was a personal letter or card, it is better to also have the envelope to show it was actually mailed. If you bank online, you can print out anything that shows your address.

Other things can also show you were living at the same place: driver's licenses with the same address; membership at a gym with the same address; adoption papers for a pet; anything that shows you were at the same address. Your job stubs showing the same address would be great - or get a letter from your bosses.

Ideally you would have a joint bank account and joint credit cards, and would have each other listed as beneficiaries for life insurance or health insurance. If you don't, I would at least try to get a joint bank account now. You can also show shared expenses: explain how you paid for rent, utilities, and other things for the house. The landlords and your parents can also explain this in their letters or affidavits. If, for example, you show that you bought household items together, that can be used as proof.

You can also include a copy of the Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union.