17-12-2014
AOR Received.
05-03-2015
Med's Request
17-03-2015
Med's Done....
15-12-2014
Hey folks,
I've recently made the decision that I want to go to Canada on a working visa. I'm kinda stuck on deciding where abouts to go in Canada, i've had a lot of suggestions from people who have gone to Canada, and people from Canada. Being from Ireland, i'm pretty fed up of the awful weather we have here (nearly year round rain, with very little sun)....so i would love somewhere with good weather (even if it's just in the summer). I recently graduated with a Masters in Biotechnology and Business, so would anyone know any areas that Biotech is particularity big??
Also one more thing, I had been swaying towards Vancouver because i know someone from there, but was recently told that there are quite a lot of irish there and they probably wouldn't be quick to give out jobs there.
I'm hoping to go at the start of summer so i've plenty of time to decide, but would appreciate any help as Canada is quite a bit bigger than Ireland....meaning there's more to know :D
Thanks!

emceemouli

Aug 7, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dublin14 said:
Hey folks,
I've recently made the decision that I want to go to Canada on a working visa. I'm kinda stuck on deciding where abouts to go in Canada, i've had a lot of suggestions from people who have gone to Canada, and people from Canada. Being from Ireland, i'm pretty fed up of the awful weather we have here (nearly year round rain, with very little sun)....so i would love somewhere with good weather (even if it's just in the summer). I recently graduated with a Masters in Biotechnology and Business, so would anyone know any areas that Biotech is particularity big??
Also one more thing, I had been swaying towards Vancouver because i know someone from there, but was recently told that there are quite a lot of irish there and they probably wouldn't be quick to give out jobs there.
I'm hoping to go at the start of summer so i've plenty of time to decide, but would appreciate any help as Canada is quite a bit bigger than Ireland....meaning there's more to know :D
Thanks!
Calgary has the highest number of sunny days in Canada :) Not sure about Biotech though...Although one of my friend's friend who just recently graduated from Masters in Biotechnology found a job in an hospital position very easily.....You can visit my site if you need more info....

Thanks
Chandra

Desjardins

Mar 1, 2013
hi mate,
I recently moved from Ireland to Toronto, I used to live just outside Limerick. I came over two years ago and I now work for an insurance agency in downtown Toronto. I'd love to tell you a bit about Canada, and I'd strongly encourage you to check out Toronto, but anywhere you go in this country you will be happy.

anyway a few things first,
we Irish are very accepted here. I notice that some ethnic groups, Chinese, Indian, Russian, etc. tend to be segregated a bit and sometimes keep to themselves but the Irish are fully integrated and accepted by Canadian society, probably because a bunch of Canadians have Irish heritage. The British Isles, Ireland, and France essentially make up the heritage of Canada so even the most established Canadians are likely to be from Ireland or another of the aforementioned countries.

Anyway in Toronto, there is a large Irish community, in addition to the vast Irish background population, and many more of us Irish have been arriving to work on the construction industry. there is also an amazing Irish pub not far from my office called the Ceili cottage.
in regards to food, the cuisine here is very similar to Ireland or the British Isles with some french influence and native influence as well but all kinds of international food is to be found as well.
hockey is obviously the big sport here and it is cool, but I've really taken to lacrosse, which is similar to hockey. football/osccer is fairly large here, and the local team, Toronto FC have a fairly European experience at the games, and I have many friends who go to games with me. there is a supporters group that meets at an Irish pub before games which I am a member of.
I've also joined a football league. the Maple Leafs hockey team are kings here though, hockey is totally a religion in the way that I could never have cniceived before I came here. it is a way to make the winters warm and inviting.

climate, very lovely in the summer, warm and sunny with the occasional thunderstorm. fall is incredible with the leaves changing colour and it is crisp and nice weather for tea or apple cider. winter is quite cold, usually around 0 in Toronto, warmer in Vancouver and way colder in the rest of Canada. winter is way nicer than in Ireland though, not so much rain, everything is beautiful and white and the Canadians play hockey on the frozen ponds, very much as a part of national identity. I'm still learning to skate! Spring comes quickly and it gets hot fast during May.
many people from Toronto head north into "cottage country' starting Victoria day weekend in may.

As for jobs, there are lots in Canada. many Irish are moving to Saskatchewan or Alberta to work for the oil industry and I know a couple who moved to Yellowknife, in the Arctic and say the mining industry is about to explode.

people here are very friendly, I have my favourite Irish Canadian musician, Ashley MacIsaac from Nova Scotia. french culture is very cool and I headed to Quebec City last month and it is astonishingly beautiful, in not only the mountain and forest Canadian was but with old arcihtcture too .

I seriously think you will love Canada wherever you go. I've been sooo happy and I can't wait to settle down and make a life here.

cheers,

Dan

Laura7786

Mar 8, 2013
Great to read all that info, Dan! I'm considering a move to Canada as well from Ireland, would you happen to know of many jobs in the science field? Did you have a job lined up before you moved over?