+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IRCC talking to an agent

Sneed

Star Member
Jul 22, 2020
Seems like IRCC changed the options again and I can't find a way to talk to an agent. Anyone know?

Underhill

Feb 5, 2020
Vancouver, BC
You have to select the option to get an update on your existing application, and when prompted, enter your UCI, then your file number, then listen to the recording that reads out the details on your gckey account. Then, finally, after a long while, you can select the option to speak to a representative.

Select that option and be immediately told that all agents are busy helping other people and please call back later - then they hang up on you.

It took me 10 tries over a few days to finally reach someone recently. When you do finally reach someone, please don't take this ridiculous experience out on the agent - they're overworked and stressed beyond belief. A little sympathy improves the quality of the information they provide considerably.

onlymtl

Star Member
Dec 30, 2013
The best way to guarantee that you will always get a chance to speak to an agent is to call as soon as the call centre opens up i.e. at 8 am.

I have called multiple times between 8 - 9 am and almost always gotten to speak with someone.

Sneed

Star Member
Jul 22, 2020
You have to select the option to get an update on your existing application, and when prompted, enter your UCI, then your file number, then listen to the recording that reads out the details on your gckey account. Then, finally, after a long while, you can select the option to speak to a representative.

Select that option and be immediately told that all agents are busy helping other people and please call back later - then they hang up on you.

It took me 10 tries over a few days to finally reach someone recently. When you do finally reach someone, please don't take this ridiculous experience out on the agent - they're overworked and stressed beyond belief. A little sympathy improves the quality of the information they provide considerably.
Thanks. I was able to get through to them. It's certainly more tedious that it used to be. Also I'm not sure where you're calling from but I'm calling from Canada and I get the option to leave my phone number and have someone call me when my number is up in the queue. It's pretty convenient.

dillym

Star Member
Nov 14, 2019
Seems like IRCC changed the options again and I can't find a way to talk to an agent. Anyone know?
-Call IRCC number
-Put in UCI (if you don't, you get exactly the same menu options)
-Select option 1
-Select option 1/2, whichever applies to you
-Input your application type and number when prompted
-Request to listen to application status and at the end, you will get an option to press zero to speak with an agent
-If you don't get through between 8-9am, call around 10-11am

iron&wine

Apr 30, 2021
I got through yesterday on my fifth call (they called me back). They have changed their menu options; just listen carefully and follow it through until you get an option to press zero to speak with someone, and be prepared to call several times. Good luck!

Reactions: Sneed

Jasmeet27

May 22, 2021
The best way to guarantee that you will always get a chance to speak to an agent is to call as soon as the call centre opens up i.e. at 8 am.

I have called multiple times between 8 - 9 am and almost always gotten to speak with someone.
I have tried everday at 8 automated message will say client support system is closed
Never able to talk to an agent
Please help !!

jckp

Mar 19, 2021
I have tried everday at 8 automated message will say client support system is closed
Never able to talk to an agent
Please help !!
Last time I called IRCC, first, I went to the same situation with you. But I tried again 15 minutes after first call (around 8:30 am) then I was able to reach an agent. And also, some option takes you automatically message and hung up so be careful when choosing option.

jn1234

Nov 14, 2018
-Call IRCC number
-Put in UCI (if you don't, you get exactly the same menu options)
-Select option 1
-Select option 1/2, whichever applies to you
-Input your application type and number when prompted
-Request to listen to application status and at the end, you will get an option to press zero to speak with an agent
-If you don't get through between 8-9am, call around 10-11am
> -Request to listen to application status and at the end, you will get an option to press zero to speak with an agent

I have been stuck too, I just dont get the option on speakign to agent at all, the only option it gives is enter application number, please help if happen to know. I completely stuck for an hour and have tried all options I could understand, please advice!

jn1234

Nov 14, 2018
> -Request to listen to application status and at the end, you will get an option to press zero to speak with an agent

I have been stuck too, I just dont get the option on speakign to agent at all, the only option it gives is enter application number, please help if happen to know. I completely stuck for an hour and have tried all options I could understand, please advice!
Just an update since I was finally able to speak with an agent.

1. Press 1 for french, nothing to continue in english
2. Press 1 for UCI, 2 if you dont have it (does not matter, choose either, I chose 2 the last time I got through)
3. Dont remember exact options but If you do NOT have a file number (waiting for long for AOR, like me) just choose "more information about PR process option, frequently asked questions etc." (press 3) here they will many options the last one is "press 0 for agent"
4. They will give you a wait time and also give a call back option (which is pretty cool, since you dont have to wait and they will call when it is your turn in queue). I used call back and was able to reach them very easily with no hold time etc.

STGC

Jan 28, 2022
I had a time-consuming but ultimately positive experience with this today. The first 5 times I called and worked my way through the automated Q&A system, I couldn’t go further (the system hung up on me) because it was too busy apparently. The 6th time I got luck and was entered into the queue. I didn’t get a call back option but the time estimate (“41 minutes”) given at the start of the hold process was pretty accurate (44 minutes in the end) after which I spoke with a very polite and professional agent who asked me to identify myself and repeat some of the information already provided in the automated system. The agent quickly provided the information I wanted and immediately sent me a formal conformation of the same by email. I was satisfied - don’t give up!

keys8014

Feb 4, 2021
I had a time-consuming but ultimately positive experience with this today. The first 5 times I called and worked my way through the automated Q&A system, I couldn’t go further (the system hung up on me) because it was too busy apparently. The 6th time I got luck and was entered into the queue. I didn’t get a call back option but the time estimate (“41 minutes”) given at the start of the hold process was pretty accurate (44 minutes in the end) after which I spoke with a very polite and professional agent who asked me to identify myself and repeat some of the information already provided in the automated system. The agent quickly provided the information I wanted and immediately sent me a formal conformation of the same by email. I was satisfied - don’t give up!
did you asked about the 'status' or 'update' of your application or was it something else?

bec last time i called them, they straight up told me they cant give any updates. lol

ranmengyu

Oct 20, 2021
I have been trying for a few weeks now and still no luck. Anyone tried to call them recently? Can someone share some tricks? I’m really frustrated now as I have tried to reply to their email (as instructed on the email), created web cases, none of them resulted in any response since last December….I’ve even tried to send DM to their twitter account and they couldn’t help me neither…