+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IRCC: Studying More Than 50% Online Due to COVID Won't Fetch points for Express Entry

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Okay but my DLI made it clear the next semester will be online. So if I'm there and it's online. I won't receive points?
Yes, if more than 50% of your program was completed by distance learning, you will not receive the 15 or 30 bonus points for Canadian education unless they issue new Ministerial Instructions, or otherwise make a determination that distance learning from within Canada is acceptable under the current Instructions.

Kingaos

Oct 29, 2019
Yes, if more than 50% of your program was completed by distance learning, you will not receive the 15 or 30 bonus points for Canadian education unless they issue new Ministerial Instructions, or otherwise make a determination that distance learning from within Canada is acceptable under the current Instructions.
Okay to confirm you are telling me if I arrive in Canada to complete the second half of my program and it is online due to covid I will not be able to gain crs points for that?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Okay to confirm you are telling me if I arrive in Canada to complete the second half of my program and it is online due to covid I will not be able to gain crs points for that?
Yes, unless IRCC announces they will allow distance learning programs to qualify for CRS points for Canadian education.

protonblast

Nov 8, 2020
I would hope you would be able to, but if you read further you will also find the current Ministerial Instructions exclude "credentials obtained in a study or training program in which distance learning amounted to more than half of the program" from eligibility for points for Canadian education.
Can you share the previous link? And also, what about the BC PNP.
BTW, my university claims that my program is NOT distance education even courses are offered online.
I hope that the governments will not have different interpretations.

UAEng123

Jun 9, 2020
Can you share the previous link? And also, what about the BC PNP.
BTW, my university claims that my program is NOT distance education even courses are offered online.
I hope that the governments will not have different interpretations.
I have tried to contact BC PNP about this. They always got back to me with the robotic response of that that program should not consist of more than 50% distance learning education. Distance education is defined as a program of study in which the majority of the credits earned by the student for that program were earned by completing online courses. And that they are not making changes to this policy as of yet. However, I was clear in my question on that my institution did not change their program to distance learning mode, it’s just online for covid. Therefore, they are not clear, their response seems that it will not be eligible, though if my institution never mentions that in transcripts and certificate, how will they know that once we apply?

protonblast

Nov 8, 2020
I have tried to contact BC PNP about this. They always got back to me with the robotic response of that that program should not consist of more than 50% distance learning education. Distance education is defined as a program of study in which the majority of the credits earned by the student for that program were earned by completing online courses. And that they are not making changes to this policy as of yet. However, I was clear in my question on that my institution did not change their program to distance learning mode, it’s just online for covid. Therefore, they are not clear, their response seems that it will not be eligible, though if my institution never mentions that in transcripts and certificate, how will they know that once we apply?
They have no way of knowing it legally. I checked their application form, and they can only rely on our transcript. Plus, the IRCC has made very clear that if you physically present in Canada, your CRS score will be credited.

Both CRS score and BC PNP IPG are based on the definitions of distance education during COVID. And I do not believe the IRCC's definition and BC PNP's definition are different.

Reactions: UAEng123

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I don't the CRS points is a question of in-person vs. online. It's whether you are IN CANADA or OUT of CANADA

UAEng123

Jun 9, 2020
They have no way of knowing it legally. I checked their application form, and they can only rely on our transcript. Plus, the IRCC has made very clear that if you physically present in Canada, your CRS score will be credited.

Both CRS score and BC PNP IPG are based on the definitions of distance education during COVID. And I do not believe the IRCC's definition and BC PNP's definition are different.
With regards to CRS score and the attachment you put, I saw somewhere on twitter a reply that may suggest otherwise. For someone who had a 1 year course and the possibility of completing it 100% online. The person did not specify if it will be in Canada or out. The reply was as follows:

“CRS points for a Canadian educational credential cannot be awarded if your credentials were obtained in a study or training program in which distance learning amounted to more than half of the program”
And some others posted about this I believe extracting some things from the cic website. That the online component may affect it even if in Canada for the CRS additional points. For example, my program is 1 year, first semester of was online abroad, and potentially second semester and summer semester will be online in Canada but just under 8 months total. What’s your view?

protonblast

Nov 8, 2020
If they contact the school, the school will tell them our program is not distant learning (the school official already made announcement told us that our program is not distance learning). If they ask us, we will tell them exactly the same thing. The only way for them to know is to call the police to find evidence (which they ) and revoke the
With regards to CRS score and the attachment you put, I saw somewhere on twitter a reply that may suggest otherwise. For someone who had a 1 year course and the possibility of completing it 100% online. The person did not specify if it will be in Canada or out. The reply was as follows:

“CRS points for a Canadian educational credential cannot be awarded if your credentials were obtained in a study or training program in which distance learning amounted to more than half of the program”
And some others posted about this I believe extracting some things from the cic website. That the online component may affect it even if in Canada for the CRS additional points. For example, my program is 1 year, first semester of was online abroad, and potentially second semester and summer semester will be online in Canada but just under 8 months total. What’s your view?
IRCC will not issue study permit to students who is taking online courses. But If you obtained a study permit and study your program in Canada
even if your in-class courses are being moved to an online-only format because of COVID-19, this won’t affect your Express Entry eligibility and the CRS points you may claim for your education.

A

protonblast

Nov 8, 2020

Yes, I also have checked that. I agree that the result is still unknown!