+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IRCC Scarborough Applicants - Online Test/Interview/DM/Oath

Sandy.gal

Champion Member
Sep 15, 2022
Category........
Other
I have a question to ask. So I was going through the oath invite email and checking the instructions to send back the signed oath form. They asked to mention the file number and family name in the subject line.
I just noticed the file number for me and my husband is the same which is his application number.
My question is when sending back the signed form should I just use his file/application number that I see on the form or should I mention my application number as the file number too?

Last edited:
Reactions: jebruyne

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
For some they were responding back stating you are not scheduled yet and asked them to not email on this email address unless you are scheduled.
It will make more sense if she ask first if even she is scheduled or not. Otherwise it's gonna be same old response. lol. Given now I have experienced IRCC stuff so much, feel like opening a business of this. :D
Right?! Have done the whole process from student visa to citizenship, no lawyer.

Had a 30 min session, in 2013, with a consultant at a reputed immigration law firm. That cost me $345 and they wanted $4500 to help me with the study permit. Spoke to the immigration department at my college and they laughed. “We’re here to help you for free”. Didn’t even use them. Of course, visa processing officers went on strike. Got it in 3 weeks.

Had a 30 min session, in 2019, with a consultant for an LMIA (when PGWP was expiring). That cost $180. Wanted a further $1800 to submit the LMIA. Boss and I went to a recommended immmigration lawyer for a free consultation. Don’t know what they wanted to process the LMIA. But for every suggestion they had I said I don’t qualify. When we left boss said “I think you know more than he does. Let’s do this together.” So we did.

Weeks later the immigration lawyer sent a long email with all his suggestions, the ones I said I didn’t qualify for, confirming I didn’t qualify for them. We thanked the lawyer, and that was the end of that.

We spent hours pouring over documents. Had to resubmit the LMIA twice.

We got the LMIA without help. But before it came through I landed in the extremely awkward position of being out of status. LMIA was approved with 3 weeks to spare. Bolted to the border and flagpoled to activate it. That was a 4 hrs negotiation. We had asked for 2 years but got 3. BONUS!

I got my PR without help. And now my citizenship without help.

What I did was RESEARCH! I read the sections of the immigration manual that related to my situation. I searched this board for similar situations. When I hit a brick wall, I asked here. I called the call Center, and I read some more. Anything I could find that remotely resembled my case. I was >this< close to not be approved for PR (thanks GCMS notes) and called the call Center instantly. The advice I received was invaluable and saved me.

I know someone who was here on a PGWP and spent $18000 on a lawyer to get PR. They got it, but dang. Eighteen thousand dollars?!

Every application is different. None is the same. But many are extremely similar and most scenarios are posted on this forum, which is why I keep banging on about learning to use the search function here. It will save you $$$$. And searching will give you a quicker response than waiting for an answer. If you can’t find the answer, by all means ASK!

This forum is an invaluable goldmine of a resource of information.

Sorry for being long winded. I’m gonna step off this applebox and get me coat. Got some budgeting work to do anyway. Apple numbers, here I come. Got to love them spreadsheets.

Sandy.gal

Champion Member
Sep 15, 2022
Category........
Other
Right?! Have done the whole process from student visa to citizenship, with no lawyer.

Had a 30 min session, in 2013, with a consultant at a reputed immigration law firm. That cost me $345 and they wanted $4500 to help me with the study permit. Spoke to the immigration department at my college and they laughed. “We’re here to help you for free”. Didn’t even use them. Of course, visa processing officers went on strike. Got it in 3 weeks.

Had a 30 min session, in 2019, with a consultant for an LMIA (when PGWP was expiring). That cost $180. Wanted a further $1800 to submit the LMIA. Boss and I went to a recommended immigration lawyer for a free consultation. Don’t know what they wanted to process the LMIA. But for every suggestion they had, I said I don’t qualify. When we left boss said “I think you know more than he does. Let’s do this together.” So we did.

Weeks later the immigration lawyer sent a long email with all his suggestions, the ones I said I didn’t qualify for, confirming I didn’t qualify for them. We thanked the lawyer, and that was the end of that.

We got the LMIA without help. But before it came through I landed in the extremely awkward position of being out of status. LMIA was approved with 3 weeks to spare. Bolted to the border and flagpole to activate it. That was a 4 hrs negotiation. We had asked for 2 years but got 3. BONUS!

What I did was RESEARCH! I read the section very of the immigration manual that related to my situation. I searched this board for similar situations. When I hit a brick wall, I asked here. I called the call Center, and I read some more. Anything I could find that remotely resembled my case. I was >this< close to not be approved for PR (thanks GCMS notes) and called the call Center instantly. The advice I received was invaluable and saved me.

I know someone who was here on a PGWP and spent $18000 on a lawyer to get PR. They got it, but dang. Eighteen thousand dollars?!

Every application is different. None is the same. But many are extremely similar and most scenarios are posted on this forum, which is why I keep banging on about learning to use the search function here. It will save you $$$$. And searching will give you a quicker response than waiting for an answer. If you can’t find the answer, by all means ASK!

Sorry for being long winded. I’m gonna step off this applebox and get me coat. Got some budgeting work to do anyway. Apple numbers, here I come. Got to love them spreadsheets.
Omg!! Same. I never ever in this entire journey approached any lawyers or consultants as I don't trust their work lol. The IRCC website has EVERYTHING that you need and of course this forum has been a Wikipedia for me.

e_ash

Jun 24, 2019
I have a question to ask. So I was going through the oath invite email and checking the instructions to send back the signed oath form. They asked to mention the file number and family name in the subject line.
I just noticed the file number for me and my husband is the same which is his application number.
My question is when sending back the signed form should I just use his file/application number that I see on the form or should I mention my application number as the file number too?
if they are the same it should not matter, in any case the officer will tell you what to do when they register you. For me, the officer told me no need to mention application/file number in email subject, but rather put their name in the subject line.

Reactions: Sandy.gal

Sandy.gal

Champion Member
Sep 15, 2022
Category........
Other
N
if they are the same it should not matter, in any case the officer will tell you what to do when they register you. For me, the officer told me no need to mention application/file number in email subject, but rather put their name in the subject line.
noted. Thank you

Reactions: e_ash

jebruyne

Sep 9, 2022
Toronto
Category........
Other
Right?! Have done the whole process from student visa to citizenship, no lawyer.

Had a 30 min session, in 2019, with a consultant for an LMIA (when PGWP was expiring). That cost $180. Wanted a further $1800 to submit the LMIA. Boss and I went to a recommended immmigration lawyer for a free consultation. Don’t know what they wanted to process the LMIA. But for every suggestion they had I said I don’t qualify. When we left boss said “I think you know more than he does. Let’s do this together.” So we did.

We got the LMIA without help. But before it came through I landed in the extremely awkward position of being out of status. LMIA was approved with 3 weeks to spare. Bolted to the border and flagpoled to activate it. That was a 4 hrs negotiation. We had asked for 2 years but got 3. BONUS!

What I did was RESEARCH! I read the sections of the immigration manual that related to my situation. I searched this board for similar situations. When I hit a brick wall, I asked here. I called the call Center, and I read some more. Anything I could find that remotely resembled my case. I was >this< close to not be approved for PR (thanks GCMS notes) and called the call Center instantly. The advice I received was invaluable and saved me.

Not as treacherous a journey as yours (kudos to you, my friend!), but I’ve had the same experience in terms of doing everything independently without hiring legal counsel. I couldn’t agree more with everything you’ve said! It’s all about doing extensive research, finding creative ways to glean relevant information, and learning from others’ experiences. Thanks for the great “opinion piece” haha. I for one appreciate your long-windedness

ukp90

Star Member
Apr 9, 2022
Application delivered 02 Dec 2022
bg completed
test completed march 22 2023
LPP in progress

Office: Scarborough
waiting since test completed.. anyone waiting for LPP and oath

jebruyne

Sep 9, 2022
Toronto
Category........
Other
Hey, folks. Posting my timeline here for the first time.

(My LPP finally got completed on June 30th after a wait of 4+ months. The Trackers shows the update occurred on June 28th.)

Here’s the detailed timeline (also in my signature):-

Citizenship Application (2022)
Application type:
ONLINE; Single.
City: Toronto.
Physical presence: 1,128 days.
Primary Office: Scarborough. (Learned from test invite sender email address)
Secondary Office: CPC Sydney. (Learned from GCMS notes)
  • Jul 21, 2022: Application submitted.
  • Jul 28: AOR received. {Email; Tracker}
  • Dec 09: Background verification Completed. {Tracker}
  • Dec 16: GU (Ghost Update). {Tracker}
  • Feb 09, 2023: Citizenship test In progress. {Tracker; Updated Feb 11}
    (Test window: Feb 17 to Mar 09.)
  • Feb 14: Test invitation letter received. {Email}
  • Feb 17: Test taken & passed; 20/20.
  • Feb 20: Test Completed. {Tracker; Updated Feb 22}
  • Feb 19: 1st ATIP request for GCMS notes.
  • Mar 02: GU. {Tracker}
  • Mar 21: Received GCMS notes for 1st ATIP request. {Email}
  • May 22: 2nd ATIP request for GCMS notes.
  • Jun 20: Received GCMS notes for 2nd ATIP request. {Email}
  • Jun 28: LPP (Language, Prohibitions, Presence) Completed. {Tracker; Updated Jun 30}
Tracker Status:
Language skills:
Completed
Background verification: Completed
Physical presence: Completed
Prohibitions: Completed
Citizenship test: Completed

Citizenship ceremony: Not started

divyamp_88

Apr 10, 2017
Looks like my ceremony on the 28th is in person as well. I'd left an inquiry to check with them about the possibility of an e-certificate and they called me back to let me know it's in person at the Scarborough office.

Reactions: Banana woman

MT1717

Nov 2, 2022
Looks like my ceremony on the 28th is in person as well. I'd left an inquiry to check with them about the possibility of an e-certificate and they called me back to let me know it's in person at the Scarborough office.
So no e-certificates for in-person oath?

divyamp_88

Apr 10, 2017
That said, the wait time is 0 :). With virtual ceremonies, you'd have had to wait 2-3 weeks for the paper certificate. Here you get it immediately after the oath.

Reactions: MT1717

KevinDeB

Jul 5, 2023
This is my first post, but I would like to thank everyone within these Thread for sharing their Citizenship experience.
I would like to wish everyone who is still waiting all the best and I know the radio silence can be frustrating, and also to see others who applied after you receiving updates and progress, but please keep the faith as your time is coming soon. I hope my timeline can be of some help to others.

TIMELINE (SCR OFFICE)
Applied May 2022
AOR May 9 2022
BG check completed Nov 11, 2022
TEST Window DEC 16-JAN 5
TEST taken on Dec 19 and marked completed on DEC 22, 2022.
LLP completed on May 17,2023
Oath in progress June 12, 2023
Oath invite June 20, 2023 (Virtual)
Oath taken June 28, 2023 Marked as complete on June 29,2023
Certificate received July 5, 2023

ALL THE BEST TO EVERYONE!