anigdikar

Apr 3, 2017
Application filed - July 6 2022
BG verification complete - Dec 5 2022
Citizenship test in progress - Jan 26 2023
Scheduled for citizenship test - Feb 3 2023
Citizenship test complete - Feb 3 2023

What happens next?
If you are lucky, a short wait...................
if you are unlucky, then a long wait..............................................................................................

akhileshtekchand

Star Member
Aug 17, 2016
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CPC-O
AOR Received.
20-02-2020
Med's Done....
03-02-2020
If you are lucky, a short wait...................
if you are unlucky, then a long wait..............................................................................................
Website says I should expect 4-6 months after test to get the oath invitation, is that accurate?

anigdikar

Apr 3, 2017
Website says I should expect 4-6 months after test to get the oath invitation, is that accurate?
Recently IRCC is not following the timelines given by them for most of the cases. But as I see you submitted your application in July 2022 and some prompt officer has already picked up your file, there are high chances that you will be able to reach the destination in next 4-6 months as they mentioned.
But you never know. Be ready to wait patiently if that officer suddenly puts your file under the pile.

becca545

Star Member
Jan 29, 2017
Fair point, the different offices might operate differently for different reasons. Scarborough does seem to be one of the slower ones, and some people may have an urgency we know nothing about when it comes to processing. We don't know, and we can't judge, what the frustration comes from. It would be wrong to assume entitlement, just like it would be wrong to assume laziness in the Scarborough office. I assume those workers, like anyone else, get sacked if they slack off.

The processing time (currently 23 months) is calculated based on the time it took them in the past to process 80% of applications. This means that, unless processing time is rising significantly, over 3/4 of us should be done within 23 months. As far as I know there is no further breakdown of the 80% available, and an application may very well take 23 months or more and still be a normal process with no unforeseen delays or problems. But we don't know.

My unease purely comes from not knowing. I'll readily admit that I'm also a terrible patient for most doctors, because this patient lacks patience! I distract myself and keep telling myself that there is no emergency or urgency for me, and that they'll know how to find me if they need info or have questions.
Most people have some kind of emergency going on, and unfortunately IRCC can’t factor in everyone’s situation. Ontario has the biggest population so it makes sense the Scarborough office is slow.

There is a backlog of applications, some folks from 2020 are still waiting for a decision. So it’s absurd people coming on here to rant because they paid $630 for an application. Lol

The system isn’t perfect, but it’s still good to see most people have their citizenship within a year. As I mentioned before, citizenship is not a right. Regardless of the uneasiness of not knowing, everyone is subject to the same evaluation. If it doesn’t work for anyone, they’re always free to withdraw their application.

Reactions: LES1910

Dutchgirl

Star Member
Oct 13, 2022
Most people have some kind of emergency going on, and unfortunately IRCC can’t factor in everyone’s situation. Ontario has the biggest population so it makes sense the Scarborough office is slow.

There is a backlog of applications, some folks from 2020 are still waiting for a decision. So it’s absurd people coming on here to rant because they paid $630 for an application. Lol

The system isn’t perfect, but it’s still good to see most people have their citizenship within a year. As I mentioned before, citizenship is not a right. Regardless of the uneasiness of not knowing, everyone is subject to the same evaluation. If it doesn’t work for anyone, they’re always free to withdraw their application.
Most people already live in Canada and there is no urgent reason why they need their citizenship this year rather than next. But some people definitely have circumstances that are different from that.
I described my unease not to complain, but to indicate it's there. I never implied that I felt entitled to become a citizen, that I felt the situation didn't work for me, or that I wanted to withdraw my application. It's just the "I hope nothing is going wrong" feeling, and I realize I'll have to live with it until I get more information, because I believe contacting them adds to their backlog, so I'm avoiding that unless I have a better reason than "unease". But it IS there, and I feel it's okay to express that.

becca545

Star Member
Jan 29, 2017
Most people already live in Canada and there is no urgent reason why they need their citizenship this year rather than next. But some people definitely have circumstances that are different from that.
I described my unease not to complain, but to indicate it's there. I never implied that I felt entitled to become a citizen, that I felt the situation didn't work for me, or that I wanted to withdraw my application. It's just the "I hope nothing is going wrong" feeling, and I realize I'll have to live with it until I get more information, because I believe contacting them adds to their backlog, so I'm avoiding that unless I have a better reason than "unease". But it IS there, and I feel it's okay to express that.
There’s a ton of people who don’t want to renew their PR cards and then blame IRCC for not being able to travel. You’re fine to express whatever you feel. Nothing is usually wrong with anyone’s application, it just takes time.

Dutchgirl

Star Member
Oct 13, 2022
Edited: Arash contacted me and indicated they didn't mean to address their reply at me, it just accidentally happened in a quote. The below reply was written before I had that info, and I'm leaving most of it here for transparency reasons. I just removed some sentences which show that I was triggered, but didn't have any other purpose. Let's try to treat each other with dignity.

My timeline is in my sig. I applied in December 2021, I haven't been waiting nearly as long as some people in this thread who were no doubt affected by the consequenses of pandemic policy and seem, for some reason, to still not get processing priority. I have said 3 things about the backlog:
-There is a backlog
-23 months stands for the time it took to process 80% of cases in the recent past. I will add that anyinfo of how long the other 20% take seems to be entirely missing. After the 80%, the waiting time could be huge, and we wouldn't know due to this lack of transparency. If anyone has those numbers, please step forward, it would be interesting to know this info.
-I believe that calling them for updates will create more work for them, which would add to their backlog. So I'm personally not calling, because I don't have an urgent question

It is indeed anyone's personal decision to withdraw their application. It isn't anyone's business.

Last edited:

Dutchgirl

Star Member
Oct 13, 2022
There’s a ton of people who don’t want to renew their PR cards and then blame IRCC for not being able to travel. You’re fine to express whatever you feel. Nothing is usually wrong with anyone’s application, it just takes time.
I can imagine it's annoying to have to renew your PR card when you're about to become a citizen (do I understand correctly that becoming a citizen means cutting your PR card up with scissors?). But those who unexpectedly have to leave the country during the gap between your expired PR card and receiving passport, are gonna be awfully glad that they did renew.

Thanks for the support Becca. The internet can be a tough place.

summerxx

Jun 12, 2016
Hi folks, just noticed my oath ceremony has been scheduled to Mar.13th through the portal. I understand that the email of instructions/details is usually sent out a week prior to the big day. But does that mean we won't know what time our oath is scheduled at until the email?

I have another long awaited appointment scheduled in the early morning of Mar.13th. Hoping there won't be any conflicts.......

Oh well, I just emailed the office asking about the time slot...fingers crossed

Last edited:

saifjack021

Nov 4, 2015
Hi folks, just noticed my oath ceremony has been scheduled to Mar.13th through the portal. I understand that the email of instructions/details is usually sent out a week prior to the big day. But does that mean we won't know what time our oath is scheduled at until the email?

I have another long awaited appointment scheduled in the early morning of Mar.13th. Hoping there won't be any conflicts.......

Oh well, I just emailed the office asking about the time slot...fingers crossed
Timeline please

summerxx

Jun 12, 2016
Timeline please
Application Type: Paper
No of Applicants: One adult with one minor
Application sent: January 10, 2022
Application delivered: January 12, 2022
Received AOR on Mar.3rd.
In Progress: Mar.4th
Background Verification Completed: Apr.1st
Test Completed: Sep.27th
LPP Completed: Dec.17th
Oath Ceremony in Progress: Feb.9th (LP&Background Verification reverted to in progress, huh???)
Oath scheduled on Mar.13th

Neha.karnad

Star Member
May 29, 2019
Application Type: online
No of Applicants: single
AOR: May 20
Background Verification Completed: Nov 15
Test Completed: Jan 04
LPP Completed: Feb 10
Oath Ceremony in Progress: Not started

What has been the pattern after LPP - when should I expect the oath letter?

nikkicause

Nov 29, 2022
Hi everyone, would anyone be kind enough to share the email id from which they got the oath letter from the Scr office? I want to request that my husband and I get the same date for the oath. Looks like I am a few weeks behind him.

karem abd

Star Member
Apr 6, 2018
Hi everyone, would anyone be kind enough to share the email id from which they got the oath letter from the Scr office? I want to request that my husband and I get the same date for the oath. Looks like I am a few weeks behind him.
When did you apply 2022 or 2021?