+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"IRCC only accepts an Education Credential Assessment issued for immigration purposes"

M.alsh

Nov 16, 2019
Hello all,

So as I am sure some of you are aware, I believe all candidates in the express entry pool received the message with the subject below, and of which what concerns me is the part on Educational Credential Assessment:

================================
Subject: Update to Express Entry Proof of Funds and Education Credential Assessment requirements

Education Credential Assessment

IRCC only accepts an Education Credential Assessment issued for immigration purposes.

• If you have received an ITA and are submitting an Education Credential Assessment with your application, it must be one for immigration purposes.
  • If you submit the incorrect type of Education Credential Assessment, it will not be accepted and your application will be rejected.
Please review the changes and update your Express Entry profile if these changes affect you.
================================

My ECA was done by WES and they did not specify that it is for immigration purposes. It only states "Educational Credential Assessment for Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada".

Although I have not received an ITA yet, do I have to redo the ECA, whether with WES or some other entity, to make sure it states somewhere that it is for immigration purposes? Or is my current assessment good enough? Please advise.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Homie. :)

Of course an ECA for IRCC is for immigration purposes.

IRCC aren't determining anything other than for immigration purposes.

M.alsh

Nov 16, 2019
Homie. :)

Of course an ECA for IRCC is for immigration purposes.

IRCC aren't determining anything other than for immigration purposes.
It is logical I agree, but why would they send such a message in the first place? Aren't all WESs for immigration anyway? I thought to myself maybe it should state that it is for "immigration" specifically (not including refuge or anything else). Perhaps I am being too careful but I thought I should ask to avoid being sorry later..

rajapanesar

Champion Member
Jan 31, 2019
Punjab, India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19/09/2019
It is logical I agree, but why would they send such a message in the first place? Aren't all WESs for immigration anyway? I thought to myself maybe it should state that it is for "immigration" specifically (not including refuge or anything else). Perhaps I am being too careful but I thought I should ask to avoid being sorry later..
Assessment can be for further education. Not everything is for immigration.
But yes, WES for IRCC is for immigration purpose.

Reactions: Islander216

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Yes, as rajapanesar said, you can get an ECA for further education, for example if you have done a bachelor's degree and you would like to study for a Master's in Canada, you may need an ECA especially if your degree is from a non-English or non-French speaking country, to show it is equivalent to a bachelor's degree in Canada.

Also, crucially why IRCC require an ECA for immigration purposes is because when the ECA agency like WES performs your assessment, they also send a link to IRCC where they can download the electronic copy of your ECA report. IRCC will cross-verify what you have put on your application with the ECA report they obtain from WES and other education agencies. This ensures they are getting the ECA report directly from them and not from the candidate, who can potentially tamper with it.

If you don't select an ECA for immigration purposes, they don't receive that link from the ECA agency.

I understand, it's better to be safe than sorry. But you don't have anything to worry about if you selected ECA for IRCC. :)

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
This IRCC directive is rather stupid btw. how would a master's evaluation for immigration differ from a master's evaluation for study or work.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
It wouldn't differ, but the difference is that they wouldn't be sent the link to the electronic copy of your ECA report if you selected for education rather than immigration.