+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inviting Parents on Visitor Visa for Convocation Ceremony

monish88

Star Member
Jul 16, 2014
Hello everyone! Hope all you amazing people are doing great! Thank you in advance for the all the good work that is going around to help each other! Could you please give your suggestions on this one?

I am about to complete my M.Eng. in Clean Energy from UBC, Vancouver and my convocation ceremony is scheduled for 31st May, 2016. My family is in Mumbai and I have the following queries before I invite them:

1) Which of the following is true: a) Visitor visas are directly issued for 10 years.
b) No medical required for a 6 months Visa.
c) Medical required.

2) Insurance: Which travel insurance is the cheapest?

3) Does zero travel history really have an effect on the duration of Visa?

Apart from these questions, if there is anything I should look into w.r.t. Visitor Visa, please let me know. Thanks again.

MARCHIE

Jan 8, 2011
Vancouver ....Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC LONDON UK-----Transferred to PVO 7Feb 2013
NOC Code......
3152 ( Registered Nurse )
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26 May 2010
Doc's Request.
18 October 2010
Nomination.....
CHC London 15 Jan 2011...
AOR Received.
1st AOR 18 Oct 2010 / 2nd AOR 16 June 2011..
IELTS Request
All Done..
File Transfer...
PARIS OFFICE
Med's Request
13 March 2013
Med's Done....
10 April 2013
Interview........
Medicals Results Received 15 Aug 2013...
Passport Req..
29 Sep 2013 Submitted @ Abu Dhabi U.A.E
VISA ISSUED...
01 Oct 2013
LANDED..........
Celebrated White Christmas in Vancouver..2013.
1) Which of the following is true: a) Visitor visas are directly issued for 10 years. YES
b) No medical required for a 6 months Visa.: YES
c) Medical required. YES

2) Insurance: Which travel insurance is the cheapest? Buy cheap Buy twice : www.manulife.ca, shop online for a reputed insurance company so that when you file your claim it will be PAID not rejected due to something you were not aware hidden under *

3) Does zero travel history really have an effect on the duration of Visa?
No, you have to prove strong homeland connection for your parents, like job, or living with brother sister, property etc

Apart from these questions, if there is anything I should look into w.r.t. Visitor Visa, please let me know. Thanks again.
you have to write an invitation letter addressed to visa officer, attest a good standing letter from UBC student affairs dept, letter of convocation.
and a cover letter of application for your parents addressed to visa officer.
bullet points specific reasons and to the point summary as to why you need your parents there in Canada.

Hope this helps.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
MARCHIE said:
1) Which of the following is true: a) Visitor visas are directly issued for 10 years. YES
c) Medical required. YES

a) Visitor visas are directly issued for 10 years. YES
No, this is not true. TRVs are not directly issued for 10 years.

It depends on the assessment made by the visa officer.... and in some cases, it could be for the full validity period of the passport which may/may not be 10 years.

Again, this is not true. Generally, medicals are not required for TRVs. However, the visa office may request for medicals in some cases

monish88

Star Member
Jul 16, 2014
Thanks both for your replies!
Can somebody comment on this: What if my parents get a visa & do not end up coming for convocation? Would there be any issue at the Port of Entry if they come to Canada later on the same visa? There was something mentioned on MyCiC that it can be an issue if there were variations in travelling conditions or if the visa issuing officer was not aware of this. Is it true?

aj0x14

Apr 1, 2023
Can somebody comment on this: What if my parents get a visa & do not end up coming for convocation? Would there be any issue at the Port of Entry if they come to Canada later on the same visa? There was something mentioned on MyCiC that it can be an issue if there were variations in travelling conditions or if the visa issuing officer was not aware of this. Is it true?
Hey there Did u get a reply regarding this ?

aj0x14

Apr 1, 2023
Hey I really need answer to this. Do you have any information about it? Did you get any update ?

aj0x14

Apr 1, 2023
Can someone provide me an answer to this please?