Star Member
Jun 1, 2008
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
Hi,
I have been living in canada for more than two years now on a student visa.
I want to invite my Mother to visit me during the summer as I will be convocating. I have not finished my degree yet but I will soon finish it. I have a letter from my department that I will finish by this sept.

I also want to invite my Brother & Sister along with my mother. Both of them are above 20 years of age and are not dependents of my mother. Both of them are students though.

I have a few questions if anyone could answer.

1- Do I need to send a seperate letter for every person I want to invite or can I mention it in the same letter.

2- Including my Brother and siter for visiting along with my mother can jeaoprodize the chance of my mother getting a refusal?

3- Should I get the visa for my mother first and then apply for my brother and sister?

I thank you in advance for your answers.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Since I went through the same procedure; I can answer some of your questions. As far I know, the invitation letter is nornally issued from the Registrar's Office. An invitation letter from your dept. may not be be enough to prove that you are graduating. Because, the Office of the Registrar will only issue such invitation letter only when you are into your final semester and applied formally for graduation. Again, if you are graduating in Sept, 2011 and your family is applying for a VISA long before Sept - it's not serving the purpose of attending the convocation. You have to go through the general invitation procedure of inviting your family here.

I did not see you mention your father in the invitation. It's always good if your parents leave their children behind; that's a strong tie to your home country. Probably, the strongest.

You can apply for them separately. I don't think that's gonna differ anything regarding decision making. If all of your family members apply at the same time, one invitation letter with all their names would be fine.

I also want to add that you will/may have to provide other supporting docs as well.

PS: Answering your question # 2, NO, it can jeopardize her chance of getting a VISA (not the refusal :D)

lahorimunda

Star Member
Jun 1, 2008
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
Thank you Rossei for your answers.

I haven't mentioned my father because he passed away. I think I would only apply for the visa of my mother just to visit me for the summer since I haven't gone home for 1.5 years.
Actually I am not graduating in Sept 2011. I will be graduating in April 2011. I am in a thesis based degree so I have not yet applied for graduation through the registarar's office. Thats why I cannot get the letter from there. And if I graduate in April, I will be convocating in early July. By the time my mother will get the visa my convocation date would pass.

So I think I should just invite her to visit me for the summer.

I would appreciate if you or anyone else can share you opinion on this.

Once again thankyou to anyone who replies.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Sorry to hear that. I gussed so as my father is no more as well. Moreover, I don't have any siblings. My mother is a plain housewife. Hence, she was called upon for an interview and got rejected. She wasn't probably smart enough to talk through convincing the visa officer. Even though she visited more than 15 countries (never stayed) before, she was denied because she doesn't have strong ties and might overstay with me.

I'm just letting you know the broader picture. Generally, most parents get visa when they are coming for convocation.

I guess that you are into a Masters program and will probably give your defence in April, 2011. By that time, you should have your letter of invitation from the registrar. That gives you 2 months before convocation ceremony. Generally, visitor visas are issued within 4-7 days via VFS (check the timeline with your country-VFS website). Also keep in mind that your study permit may expire soon as you are almost graduating. This may play a role if you are just going to invite your mom over here in summer.

Best of luck.

rukaran

May 10, 2020
I am a international student in Canada and I want to call my brother and my mother on my convocation . My father is no more so that why I want to call my brother. he is 23 years old . Is there any chance he can get the visa . He is independent as he is doing farming along with studies and he has property and bank balance too.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am a international student in Canada and I want to call my brother and my mother on my convocation . My father is no more so that why I want to call my brother. he is 23 years old . Is there any chance he can get the visa . He is independent as he is doing farming along with studies and he has property and bank balance too.
Don't believe they are even having convocations this year. It will be very difficult for your brother to get a visa but he can certainly try.