+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

inviting a friend in UK to visit me during Christmas, need some advice plz help

chriswu1992

Oct 14, 2012
Hi, all

Im inviting a friend in uk to visit me during Christmas for about 3 weeks. She holds a study permit in UK and she is full time university student and has full scholarship and she is in her first year so basically she has 3 more years to go. I am a permanent resident and a university student as well and i am in my second year. Me and my mom live together and my mom owns a property. So if i want to invite my friend to Canada, what documents do i need? Do i need to provide my financial documents even if im not covering my friend's expenses? Do i need to get a document from my school to prove my enrollment? or just a copy of my PR card is sufficient. Do i need to get a copy of the land deed or title to prove that we own the property since my friend will live at my place during her visit? Btw, is it really hard to get the visa based on my situation? Thank you all very much and please give some detailed reply :)

irritated

Star Member
Jan 9, 2012
hi if your inviting your freind from the uk a letter of invitation would be enough if she is a uk citizen then she is visa exempt she can stay up to 6mths in canada she needs to show a return ticket bk to the uk a bill with her address on plus she needs to show how much funds she has for her stay and travel insurance this is what i had when i came here from the uk and she might be asked where she is staying and reason for her visit i hope this helps you

SIG

Sep 20, 2012
Hi,

England is visa exempt so there is no "visa" requried to visit Canada.
From experience, if she is visiting for 3 weeks, then her return flight will be dated until then.
When she arrives in Canada they will more than likely ask the purpose of her stay and where she will be staying. Her passport will be stamped. The customs officer will either write in pen a date under the stamp noting when she is required to leave by but if no date is indicated, this means she will be allowed the 6 months. Your friend should be able to book her flight, visit and return with no problems.

larryUK

Star Member
Mar 13, 2012
It would seem she is not a UK citizen as by saying she has a study permit I guess this means she is not from the UK? (as a UK citizen would not need a study permit).

What country is she from?

chriswu1992

Oct 14, 2012
irritated said:
hi if your inviting your freind from the uk a letter of invitation would be enough if she is a uk citizen then she is visa exempt she can stay up to 6mths in canada she needs to show a return ticket bk to the uk a bill with her address on plus she needs to show how much funds she has for her stay and travel insurance this is what i had when i came here from the uk and she might be asked where she is staying and reason for her visit i hope this helps you
She is not a citizen of uk, she attends university in UK, she is a full scholarship international student and she holds a study permit. May i ask how much fund did u had when u applied?

chriswu1992

Oct 14, 2012
SIG said:
Hi,

England is visa exempt so there is no "visa" requried to visit Canada.
From experience, if she is visiting for 3 weeks, then her return flight will be dated until then.
When she arrives in Canada they will more than likely ask the purpose of her stay and where she will be staying. Her passport will be stamped. The customs officer will either write in pen a date under the stamp noting when she is required to leave by but if no date is indicated, this means she will be allowed the 6 months. Your friend should be able to book her flight, visit and return with no problems.
She is not a citizen of the UK, she holds a study permit.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
By sharing your friend's citizenship, you have a better chance of getting the information you need. If your friend is from a non-visa exempt country, she must ensure her TIES to her home country are solid, especially as she is studying in another country.

chriswu1992

Oct 14, 2012
Pippin said:
By sharing your friend's citizenship, you have a better chance of getting the information you need. If your friend is from a non-visa exempt country, she must ensure her TIES to her home country are solid, especially as she is studying in another country.
She holds a Chinese passport. She has ties to england as she still has 3 years of university to finish. She is full scolarship student which means she got 4 years of tuition fees paid, so she has no reason to remain in canada and not go back to England and finish university..
Why does she need to show she has strong ties to her home country? She is already in England..

chriswu1992

Oct 14, 2012
chriswu1992 said:
She holds a Chinese passport. She has ties to england as she still has 3 years of university to finish. She is full scolarship student which means she got 4 years of tuition fees paid, so she has no reason to remain in canada and not go back to England and finish university..
Why does she need to show she has strong ties to her home country? She is already in England..
So providing information about her ties to her homecountry is a must?.. She will get rejected automatically if she doesnt do so?.
Thanks

chriswu1992

Oct 14, 2012
Pippin said:
Sorry.. I dont know how this thing works.
but when i applied visitor visas to other countries. I provided information about me in Canada but i am only a PR in Canada and my home country is not Canada.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Having fully paid tuition is a very good thing to include in your friend's application, and don't forget to include proof of her marks to show she is studying hard. Include in her cover letter how she earned the scholarship. I suspect this would still not be enough to convince a VO that she will leave Canada before the expiry of her visa, especially as she is an international student already. Do a search for proving ties to home country, reasons for refusal, and things like that. You will find lots has been written on this forum about it. Read everything you can and make your friend's application as strong as possible before sending the first application. Examples of ties: spouse and children, family, home or business ownership, employment (permission for leave and expected date of return letter from boss), good financial balance and sufficient funds for this trip, history of travel (shows you have the finances for travel and that you return home), compelling reason for trip, to name a few.
I hope others will give you ideas as well. Good Luck.

chriswu1992

Oct 14, 2012
Pippin said:
Having fully paid tuition is a very good thing to include in your friend's application, and don't forget to include proof of her marks to show she is studying hard. Include in her cover letter how she earned the scholarship. I suspect this would still not be enough to convince a VO that she will leave Canada before the expiry of her visa, especially as she is an international student already. Do a search for proving ties to home country, reasons for refusal, and things like that. You will find lots has been written on this forum about it. Read everything you can and make your friend's application as strong as possible before sending the first application. Examples of ties: spouse and children, family, home or business ownership, employment (permission for leave and expected date of return letter from boss), good financial balance and sufficient funds for this trip, history of travel (shows you have the finances for travel and that you return home), compelling reason for trip, to name a few.
I hope others will give you ideas as well. Good Luck.
Thank you very much its rlly helpful :)