+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inventory for Immigration

AlbaNuadh

Star Member
Oct 18, 2016
Morning all,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.

My husband has been granted a spouse visa. We have been given until September to go through immigration in Canada.
We have both been living in the UK (where he is from) for many years and have a home to sell and jobs to leave which will not be complete by September.

We have been advised by people that the best course of action would be to go through immigration before September then officially move over a few months afterwards.

We have been advised that we need to make an inventory of what we plan to bring with us when we eventually move for good otherwise we might be subject to duties and taxes on our stuff.

I have tomorrow off of work to go through our stuff and make an inventory but I don't know how specific I need to be.
Do you list EVERYTHING (eg. 5 plates, 7 glasses, 10 shirts) because this will be time consuming and will most likely change by the time we come over. Or can it be general (eg. kitchenware: plates, glasses. Women's clothing, children's clothing...etc.).
Any tips you could give?

Thanks for your help!

shannon388

Dec 15, 2017
I don't think there is a rule for this. For "cheaper" stuff you might say like "dinnerware set for 4", but for more expensive stuff I recommend to put the numbers (e.g. "4 laptops" instead of just "computer").

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Morning all,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.

My husband has been granted a spouse visa. We have been given until September to go through immigration in Canada.
We have both been living in the UK (where he is from) for many years and have a home to sell and jobs to leave which will not be complete by September.

We have been advised by people that the best course of action would be to go through immigration before September then officially move over a few months afterwards.

We have been advised that we need to make an inventory of what we plan to bring with us when we eventually move for good otherwise we might be subject to duties and taxes on our stuff.

I have tomorrow off of work to go through our stuff and make an inventory but I don't know how specific I need to be.
Do you list EVERYTHING (eg. 5 plates, 7 glasses, 10 shirts) because this will be time consuming and will most likely change by the time we come over. Or can it be general (eg. kitchenware: plates, glasses. Women's clothing, children's clothing...etc.).
Any tips you could give?

Thanks for your help!
1. 5 boxes used clothing. (put a minimal value)
2. x boxes household dishes.
3. Expensive items with serial no. list separately
4. Expensive jewellery jewelers evaluation and pictures.