+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Intra company transfer - USA to Canada

sthomas9345

Star Member
Jun 29, 2015
Hi,

First let me thank you all for trying to help everyone by taking your precious time to answer their queries. You're all doing a great job. Hats off..

Coming to my situation, my company has applied for an Intra company transfer to Canada. My work permit got approved last week and am yet to send in my passport for stamping. I am an Indian citizen working In The USA. I will have to work for a year in Canada as an Intra company transfer employee and will be moving back to the US next year. I do have too many questions.

1. Since I am from India and I work in USA, my attorney told me that the consulate will be needing a criminal history check report from India and the US. But my approval letter shows it only needs my passport. IS it normal they haven't requested for any of the police certificates? Also, my approval says "This is in reference to your application for temporary residence. A decision has been made on your application. We require your passport to finalize processing your application." IS this an approval for the work permit or TRP?

2. Also, what is the turnaround time for passport mailed for stamping?

3. I have 2 years of experience in driving within the USA. Unfortunately my license will expire on the 23rd of February and I will be leaving to Canad only by the end of February. IS it possible for me to get an Ontario driving license with an expired US license?

4. I applied for the petition on the 26th of October and I got married on November 22nd. Since I was single when I applied for the petition and I am now married, how do I include my spouse's name on the dependent's list. Also, if I have to apply a (spouse) open work permit for my husband how long would it take for it to get processed in India? First time when he applied for a visitor visa to Canada it got rejected? Does the rejection affect the open work permit approval? What are the chances of him getting his work permit?

Thank you very much in advance for taking your valuable time to give me your suggestions.

jags20_us

Oct 21, 2015
Hi
I had come to Canada similar route like yours in 2014 but i loved it here so much that i changed my mind to return. Esp. you are from India then you won't miss homeland here. Now for your questions:

1. Work permit is temporary residence only. Else it would be PR (Permanent Residence). For work permit only passport is required if u have stayed in USand have a US Visa. No police certificate required unless you are applying for PR.

2. 3 Weeks at the max if u are applying in US

3. A little sticky situation. Try going to DMV and extend it or come a little earlier. Getting a license in Canada is a way longer process and it also depends on the state your license is from. There are few US states who licenses are not coming under reciprocity clause. Also if you are bringing your car get ready for huge insurance cost. Atleast 3-4 times of what u were paying in US.

4. Please talk to your attorney. I think it will be fresh SOWP case and with current timeline it ll be minimum 9-12 months. Rejection might not affect if you do paperwork correctly. It will be on history and again it depends on the reason it was rejected.

Best of luck. Hope this was helpful.