Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
03-11-2011
You know, in reading a number of threads on the forum I notice how many people talk about the proof they take with them to their interviews. As we are going through Singapore which seems to be on the list of worst offices and my wife is from Thailand which of course is a huge black mark for most brain dead people which seems to encompass a lot of gov't workers we are assuming an interview will be required.

With that in mind, we have been living together in Thailand for over three years now, with kids, etc..etc.. what in the world could I take as PROOF? I mean we don't have phone or chat records, we sent hundreds of photos would another hundred mean anything? I really am at a loss as to what would make sense to take should an interview be called.

I realize I might be jumping the gun a bit but I would rather prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
- joint bank accounts
- joint credit cards
- joint property ownership
- joint leases
- insurance policies showing your spouse as the beneficiary
- wills naming each other as the beneficiary
- letters from family and friends

Bangkokcanuck

May 2, 2010
Bangkapi, Thailand
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-03-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
03-11-2011
scylla said:
- joint bank accounts
- joint credit cards
- joint property ownership
- joint leases
- insurance policies showing your spouse as the beneficiary
- wills naming each other as the beneficiary
None of the above is allowed in Thailand for NON Thai's

- letters from family and friends
None of her family can read or write English... of course my family from Canada can but as we live in Thailand and they have only met her a few times when we visited or the couple of times they have come here, is there in value in such letters?

Seems pretty wacky that someone in Immigration would think I sold my house, business and all assets in Canada three years ago to move here to have a fake relationship so my "wife" can get a PR card three years later... to say this system is broken is perhaps a massive understatement..

Thanks for the attempt but none of that stuff is valid for someone living as an expat in Thailand.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I don't know if the letters will have value. We didn't include any in our application. However I see from postings here than many others did. Perhaps one of them will jump in and offer their two cents.

Keep in mind that if an interview is requested, it's not necessarily both of your intentions (i.e. yours and your wife's) they may be worried about. They may just be calling into question one partner's motives (i.e. the non-Canadian).

Hopefully it doesn't come to an interview and you're worrying for no reason...

Bangkokcanuck

May 2, 2010
Bangkapi, Thailand
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-03-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
03-11-2011
scylla said:
I don't know if the letters will have value. We didn't include any in our application. However I see from postings here than many others did. Perhaps one of them will jump in and offer their two cents.

Keep in mind that if an interview is requested, it's not necessarily both of your intentions (i.e. yours and your wife's) they may be worried about. They may just be calling into question one partner's motives (i.e. the non-Canadian).

Hopefully it doesn't come to an interview and you're worrying for no reason...
I mean within our application we included a letter from my parents that had been to Thailand to visit us after our youngest was born and of course we stayed with them on our last vacation to Canada.. just a lot of blah blah blah happy to have you coming home will do whatever you need to help the move work out, etc..

I agree there might be no interview and I don't really feel worried as much as I like to plan ahead... as I simply have no clue what they would consider proof that we are real above and beyond the fact I moved half way across the world to live work and raise a family together..

*shrug* time will tell I guess.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
It will, there is no need for you to overthink this. I highly doubt it will come an interview for your wife. The development and progress of your relationship is well within the bounds of "normal" for an international couple, you have a life together that I'm pretty sure you documented thoroughly. Relax. Or as my husband would say, don't sweat the petty stuff! :)

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
I (we) submitted a small sheaf of new photos, most with my wife's family members (visiting us at the time) to show an ongoing relationship, acknowledged by family. We also brought the original documents, of which copies were submitted with our application.

In my opinion the most critical piece was the letter we got our current landlord to write, saying that we are living together in his apartment, and that he sees us together as a couple outside the apartment. We got that letter certified (a big rigmarole). Then I directed the VO's attention to that letter at the start of the interview.

I asked the VO after the interview what additional documentation in our application would have obviated an interview, and he was at a loss to say. Then he asked how long we had been living together at the time of applying for the visa; I said 6 months and he implied that that was the reason-- that there would have been no interview if we had been living together longer. So ... you (with your three years) are probably in the clear.

The VO seemed to be going through the motions in the interview (he called me into the room after interviewing my wife). He barely looked at the new documents we brought in response to the form interview letter. I suspect the interview was called just to be on the safe side, and because the VO who reviewed the application was happy to delegate the decision to another VO (the one who does the interview). They are different VOs.

You should be fine, but I agree it is wise to prepare for the worst (while hoping for the best).

mr.peace

Apr 15, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Phils.
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2, 2013
Doc's Request.
October 24, 2013
AOR Received.
April 17, 2013
File Transfer...
April 23, 2013
Med's Done....
March 20, 2013
Passport Req..
Sep 27, 2013 F.Beronia Recv'd PP: Oct 15, 2013 V.O. returned PP: Nov 1, 2013 Resent PP....: Dec 27, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
March 26, 2014 received but dated March 20.
LANDED..........
April xx, 2014
Bangkokcanuck said:
None of the above is allowed in Thailand for NON Thai's

None of her family can read or write English... of course my family from Canada can but as we live in Thailand and they have only met her a few times when we visited or the couple of times they have come here, is there in value in such letters?

Seems pretty wacky that someone in Immigration would think I sold my house, business and all assets in Canada three years ago to move here to have a fake relationship so my "wife" can get a PR card three years later... to say this system is broken is perhaps a massive understatement..

Thanks for the attempt but none of that stuff is valid for someone living as an expat in Thailand.
I am staying in Thailand also, and trust me, they allow joint bank accounts because my wife and I have one at Siam Commercial Bank, and none of us either a Thai citizen.

For the insurance, your wife can insure herself and naming you as the beneficiary. Or you yourself can get an insurance if you have the work permit.

Another proof is the bill for the rental where you can include both your names. We are doing it.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Bring proof you are living together - if it is not a joint lease, then a letter from the landlord, like Toby did.
Also proof of your relationship with your children, if enough wasn't submitted with the application.
Photos from the time the application was sent up till the interview.

The visa officers don't always pay much attention to new proof brought in to the interview. Prepare some things, but try not to worry too much about it. Living together for 3 years and raising children together is very good evidence the relationship is real.

Bangkokcanuck

May 2, 2010
Bangkapi, Thailand
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-03-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
03-11-2011
mr.peace said:
I am staying in Thailand also, and trust me, they allow joint bank accounts because my wife and I have one at Siam Commercial Bank, and none of us either a Thai citizen.
I can assure you a NON Thai can NOT have a joint bank account with a Thai. If we were both NOT citizens no problem... just as you might not be aware once my wife married a NON Thai she lost a whole bunch of rights under Thai law she is actually not even allowed to purchase property without a letter from me stating that I have no claim to the land now or in the future and that all money used to purchase the land is my wife's alone and did not come from overseas... we have been to every bank in Thailand NONE of them will open a joint account for us.

For the insurance, your wife can insure herself and naming you as the beneficiary. Or you yourself can get an insurance if you have the work permit.
Don't have a work permit never needed one, I own the company but do not "work" there. We do have insurance, well my wife does but the kids are listed as the beneficiary.. I wonder if it's worth the effort to change it for now.. maybe not as it will likely look like we are doing it for the purposes of RP stuff.

Another proof is the bill for the rental where you can include both your names. We are doing it.
We don't rent but I am sure we could include something from the Village's management company that has all our stuff on record to use the fitness facilities etc...

Thanks for the feedback

Bangkokcanuck

May 2, 2010
Bangkapi, Thailand
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-03-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
03-11-2011
CharlieD10 said:
It will, there is no need for you to overthink this. I highly doubt it will come an interview for your wife. The development and progress of your relationship is well within the bounds of "normal" for an international couple, you have a life together that I'm pretty sure you documented thoroughly. Relax. Or as my husband would say, don't sweat the petty stuff! :)
Thanks, sorry if I came across as sweating this I wasn't really just want to make sure we are prepared for anything that might be thrown our way.. we have already made alternate plans to move somewhere else should Canada fall through.. but it's our first choice naturally.

Bangkokcanuck

May 2, 2010
Bangkapi, Thailand
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-03-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
03-11-2011
canadianwoman said:
Bring proof you are living together - if it is not a joint lease, then a letter from the landlord, like Toby did.
Also proof of your relationship with your children, if enough wasn't submitted with the application.
Photos from the time the application was sent up till the interview.

The visa officers don't always pay much attention to new proof brought in to the interview. Prepare some things, but try not to worry too much about it. Living together for 3 years and raising children together is very good evidence the relationship is real.
Thanks for the feedback, my wife often comments that if we just let the VO stay in the room with our two boys for 15 minutes they would give us the RP right away assuming NOBODY would deal with those two for the sake of a fake marriage... haha.. our boys are what my grandfather used to call me a hell raiser, I like to think of them as having a healthy curiosity about the world around them... or hell raiser really they both fit hahahaha...

Bangkokcanuck

May 2, 2010
Bangkapi, Thailand
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-03-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
03-11-2011
toby said:
You should be fine, but I agree it is wise to prepare for the worst (while hoping for the best).
Thanks for all the feedback.. and I really am not trying to over think this I just don't want to be caught off guard, so I figure its best to think about anything that might come before it's a last minute rush to deal with it, but clearly this subject is covered quite well.

Thanks to one and all for their suggestions and I will consider this issue dealt with...

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Bangkokcanuck said:
Thanks for the feedback, my wife often comments that if we just let the VO stay in the room with our two boys for 15 minutes they would give us the RP right away assuming NOBODY would deal with those two for the sake of a fake marriage... haha.. our boys are what my grandfather used to call me a hell raiser, I like to think of them as having a healthy curiosity about the world around them... or hell raiser really they both fit hahahaha...
That's funny!! My mother -- in her more exasperated moods during my rebellious years -- used to say to me, I hope some day you have a child just like you!!!

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Just curious, Mike. Would you have to travel to Singapore for the interview, and would your wife require a consular visa? Big hassle!!!