+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Interview for Spouse open work permit application

Vank1628

Jan 13, 2020
Sorry i was out of the forum for many days...we were married for 3 years and then we applied for the visa...of-course they willl check if the couples stayed together after marriage or not....i believe there were many cases in Canada where they faked the marriage and got the visa but then caught later on.... because of which the rules are stricter now...the officer may ask for chats if they have any doubt the authenticity of the marriage... in my case i took the printouts of the chats but he never asked for that.... all the best for the visa
Congratulations for your visa approval.
My wife's visa has been refused due to same reasons 179b, that visa officer does not believe that she will return back to her native country after her visa expires.
Now after some discussions here and with my colleagues, it seems like TRV visitor is not the right category for Spouse visa. Can you suggest your experience. Was there any refusal in your case also.?
Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Srilankan,

First of all congratulations for your wife's visa approval. God bless you both.

I am also in same situation. I am currently working in Canada on my work-permit, which is valid till March 2021.
I recently applied for my wife visitor visa (through my company) which has been rejected due to IRCC 179b.

I am planning to apply for a Spouse Open Work Permit, which seems more suitable category for her visit to Canada.
Our purpose is she can accompany me here till my work-permit validity.

Was there any previous refusal in your case also, and how did you approached further.
One more question, Is there any specific category which we need to select for SOWP. How it will be highlighted that this is a SOWP not OWP.

Any advice would be really helpful. Thanks.
You also must prove that you are in a genuine relationship because you went home got married and return and then applied for a visa. Hopefully you have proof of spending time together in person before coming to Canada. Would include other evidence that your relationship is genuine versus a marriage for immigration purposes. It must be more than just wedding pictures.

srilankan

Star Member
Jul 31, 2015
First off if you apply for visitor visa after getting married it has a very high chance to get rejected.

You do not need to select special category, just go through the same process as a open work permit,

Rapinder kaur

Star Member
Jan 30, 2020
Can I apply for my spouse dependent open work permit for Canada?
I think because of covid 19, they all are closed?

it's a good idea to apply now or after a few days when the problem is sort then apply?

Manpreet_kaur1100

Dec 10, 2019
Hello Everyone in this Forum,

As I mentioned above in this thread, My wife is a full time student in Canada and I applied for SOWP. Below is the timeline
Online Application: 2 Feb 2019
Biometrics : 11 Feb 2019
Letter from CIC for the interview : 15 March 2019
Interview : 11 April 2019
PPR request: 11 April 2019
After a long wait finally its approved. I would like to thank god for his mercy.
As interview for SOWP application is very rare I would like to share my experience and hope this may help for the future applicants. I tried to search for my answers before interview but didn;t get any concrete answers. My interview letter said:

" Bring all required documentation with you to your interview including marriage photos depicting all ceremonies, post marriage photographs, proof of ongoing communication, status of inviter in canada, proof of ongoing education of inviter in Canada."

Documents collected: Wedding Album (Both engagement and Wedding), 12 post marriage photographs, Wats app chat history (Initial and latest chats for about 8 months), Call history (Only on wats app- took the screenshots, made collage picture and took a print out), Receipts for the payment done to my wife's account for tution fee, all canadian college documents, etc.

At Canadian embassy, New Delhi:
1. All the electronic medias like mobiles, mobile chargers, Pen drive, hard drive etc. Needs to be submitted at the main gate.
2. The visa officer asked me very general questions like name of the spouse, wedding and engagement dates, exact location my spouse stays in Canada, Name of the college , duration of the study,
3. Documents that was required for the interview- College documents, Wedding Album, post marriage photos, on going communication proof (My wats app chats were approx 100 pages when I was removing that from my folder, the officer didn't really analysed it), all the documents related to my spouse' study and work permit.
4. How may guests were present for the marriage and wanted to see the photograph for the same- I had few pictures in the wedding Album.
5. Why my previous application got rejected.

The interview was very simple if the applicant dont have to hide anything and if the facts mentioned in the applications is correct.

And the best part is that we will get to know about the decision soon after the interview.

Thanks
hi

i just wanted to know,

were you recently got married when you applied for your SOWP ?

coz i heard cic asks for interview for those people only who recently got married

Raj1508

Aug 15, 2019
Hi,

Need help...I am on a open work permit as my spouse is of Noc code B.. Both are visa is getting expired shortly. My wife's work visa extension will be filed by her company.. But we will not know any details of her application.. How can I apply for the open permit extension seperately , what re the supporting documents that I should furnish..