+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Internship - During MBA program - Work Permit Required?

Mar 1, 2010
Hi,

I am a Grad Student at the Schulich School of Business in Toronto, however, currently I'm at their India Campus, and will be flying to Toronto in August only.
I have secured a student visa, but dont have a work permit in hand. Can I pursue an Internship at a Canadian company in July. Point to note is that though I'm a registered student with the Canadian bschool, and have a Visa since Jan 2010, I am still in India and havent traveled to Canada.

Do I need a work permit? If yes, can I apply for one on the basis my Canadian Visa and Internship Offer letter? Pls guide.

Nishant Jain

imigrate

Star Member
Nov 16, 2009
Is the internship part of your study program? If so, yes you need work permit for that. You need to provide acceptance letter from the company hiring you for internship, as well as letter from your school/college/university explaining the internship program, that it is part of your study.
See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-coop.asp

Mar 1, 2010
@ imigrate - Thanks a lot for sharing this information. However, one query of mine remains unasnwered - Do I need to 'stay' in Canada for a min. period to apply for a work permit (assuming that I fulfill all other requirements like letter from employer, letter from university, etc) ?

I am current studying at the Canadian Univerity (at their India Campus) but I'm not on the Canadian soil.

looking fwd to your views.