+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International teacher in China moving back to Canada with non-Canadian family

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yoonglai said:
I guess I just am concerned about being able to get them all to Canada by next summer...that is the goal...so you suggest for the younger boy (who now has a Thai and Australian passport), that I also apply for a citizenship certificate too? How can I try to expedite this? It is difficult to get people at the embassy in Beijing to contact me...although they do eventually get back. I really would like to make an appointment with them...but I don't know if that is possible.
I'm not sure about Beijing. But the Canadian embassy in Shanghai contact me by email. I have no issues about that. You can just walk in to the Citizenship section and ask. No appointment needed.

Yoonglai

Star Member
Sep 25, 2011
Saint John, New Brunswick
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 27, 2013
Med's Done....
May 21, 2013
Passport Req..
Nov 19, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
CPR Dec 9, 2013
Aaaaargh!! I am in the process of filling out IMM5490 (Sponsored spouse questionnaire) for my wife, and now it has these weird questions regarding details of our relationship, and how we have communicated with each other. Heck, we have lived together for almost 10 years as man and wife in a legal marriage. How do I address these questions? Of course there was a period of time after our marriage where we did not live together, since my wife had to get a spousal visa for Australia..It took 18 months. I was resident there at that time. Could this suffice?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Yes, include that proof. However, the typical applicant couple has been separated for a while and has not lived together, or only for a short time, so the questions are geared to that situation. In cases where the couple have lived together for years and have children and a home together, proof of this shared life is much more important than proof you communicated while apart. So focus your proof on showing you have been together for 10 years.

Yoonglai

Star Member
Sep 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 27, 2013
Med's Done....
May 21, 2013
Passport Req..
Nov 19, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
CPR Dec 9, 2013
Thank you for that...another couple of questions:

1. On sponsor questionnaire, there are questions of my previous residences outside of Canada...I can remember back to 2000 as far as addresses are concerned, but phone numbers? They are long out of date. A problem?

2. On the same questionnaire IMM5540, question 11 asks for proof of intention to re-establish in Canada and details of plans to do so. Well, I am a teacher, but have no job yet, or rental agreement. How can I answer these in an acceptable manner? We would consider a down payment on a house once we got there...want to get there in July 2012...any advice here?

Thanks in advance,

John

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Yoonglai said:
1. On sponsor questionnaire, there are questions of my previous residences outside of Canada...I can remember back to 2000 as far as addresses are concerned, but phone numbers? They are long out of date. A problem?
Put as much of the info they ask for as you can. If there are details you have forgotten and can't find out, just attach an explanation of this. As for old phone numbers that are no longer yours - just include them anyway. I did note in my form when the numbers were a cell phone.
2. On the same questionnaire IMM5540, question 11 asks for proof of intention to re-establish in Canada and details of plans to do so. Well, I am a teacher, but have no job yet, or rental agreement. How can I answer these in an acceptable manner? We would consider a down payment on a house once we got there...want to get there in July 2012...any advice here?
Explain your plans and offer whatever proof you can. You can get letters or affidavits from family members or friends if they will be helping you in any way when you first return - people who will be staying with their parents while they get reestablished get an affidavit from the parents about this, for example. You can show correspondence with potential employers, landlords, and real estate agents. You can show how you are planning to end your stay in China: for example, correspondance with moving companies or storage companies. Proof you and your wife have given notice at your current jobs. Proof you have told the children's schools they will be leaving and have made arrangements for their schooling in Canada.

Yoonglai

Star Member
Sep 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 27, 2013
Med's Done....
May 21, 2013
Passport Req..
Nov 19, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
CPR Dec 9, 2013
canadianwoman said:
Put as much of the info they ask for as you can. If there are details you have forgotten and can't find out, just attach an explanation of this. As for old phone numbers that are no longer yours - just include them anyway. I did note in my form when the numbers were a cell phone.Explain your plans and offer whatever proof you can. You can get letters or affidavits from family members or friends if they will be helping you in any way when you first return - people who will be staying with their parents while they get reestablished get an affidavit from the parents about this, for example. You can show correspondence with potential employers, landlords, and real estate agents. You can show how you are planning to end your stay in China: for example, correspondance with moving companies or storage companies. Proof you and your wife have given notice at your current jobs. Proof you have told the children's schools they will be leaving and have made arrangements for their schooling in Canada.
Hmmm...I am talking about ten year old numbers...I have absolutely no record of those any more...they no longer exist. Regarding how we plan to re-establish back in Canada, what about showing a valuation statement of current savings (in managed funds), which are more than enough to put a large down payment on a house, or support the family totally for a couple of years even if I wasn't working?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yoonglai said:
Hmmm...I am talking about ten year old numbers...I have absolutely no record of those any more...they no longer exist. Regarding how we plan to re-establish back in Canada, what about showing a valuation statement of current savings (in managed funds), which are more than enough to put a large down payment on a house, or support the family totally for a couple of years even if I wasn't working?
Liquid assets alone doesn't show your intention to re-establish back in Canada. However, you could write about your plans in using such assets to pay downpayment on a house or support the family for a couple of years in Canada after your wife is issue the PR visa.

Yoonglai

Star Member
Sep 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 27, 2013
Med's Done....
May 21, 2013
Passport Req..
Nov 19, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
CPR Dec 9, 2013
Thanks everyone,

You are all being very helpful, so now I want to get back to a previous question.

1. My eldest son has an application pending for citizenship for a child adopted overseas...it is two months old...I see no problems with it at the moment. If he gets approved, then I don't have to sponsor him, correct? He can just come as my son?

2. My younger biological son is Canadian by descent...but with no citizenship certificate...I am in that process at the moment too. If he gets it before next summer, (our goal to get to Canada), I don't have to sponsor him either, true?

This would save $300 on sponsorship application...any ideas here?

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
You are correct, you would not sponsor your children, just your wife.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Yoonglai said:
Just write a note explaining you don't remember the old numbers.
Show proof of your investments in your application. It does not prove you intend to return to Canada, but it does show you can support your family. Detailing your family's plans for the future is also part of proving your relationship is genuine.