+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Students wanting to enter Canada during Covid, Important change!!!

Matt173

Oct 13, 2019
I am set to start my graduate studies in September 2020 but am so far unable to enter Canada because of the travel restrictions. I am in Hong Kong and cannot directly fly to Canada and enter Canada at the moment. The reason is that my study permit was approved after March 18. However, I might be able to obtain a document from my university that states that my presence is non-discretionary. So, I am still stuck with not being able to enter because of my permit that was approved after March 18.

UNTIL, ....

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/covid/non-canadians-canadiens-eng.html#er1

Specifically:

"
Arriving from the United States
If you are a foreign national arriving from the United States, to enter Canada, you must prove to the CBSA that you:

• are travelling for a non-discretionary (essential) purpose or are an immediate family member
  • are not presenting signs or symptoms of COVID-19
  • have a plan to quarantine for 14 days, unless exempted
The Canada-U.S. temporary border restriction continues. All discretionary/optional travel remains prohibited.

"

The addition of "foreign national" was not in this document before. Previously, it only stated that "coming from the US"...

It clearly states that foreign nationals (not just Americans or American permanent residents) can enter Canada from US territory given the above-listed conditions are met. In those conditions there is no specific travel restriction, targeting students, listed.

Hence, I interpret this as follows: I am on American soil and approach the US/Canada land-based border as non-American/non-Canadian. I aim to enter Canada for non-discretionary purposes as stated in the letter by my university (of course subject to final approval by border agent). I don't show COVID symptoms, and I have a clear and precise quarantine plan in place. Coming from the US it does not mention when my study permit must have been approved as long as it is approved by the time I approach the border.

Question: What does any of you think? As long as I can legally enter the US from Hong Kong (which I currently can) will this be interpreted as abusing a loophole or was it intentionally designed by the Canadian government to use the US as sort of a "buffer" where entrants first need to be qualified to enter or be in the US before they will be vetted to enter Canada? To me the wording is very clear and precise and it clearly states that "foreign nationals" coming to Canada from the US refers to foreign nationals who approach the Canadian border from US soil, regardless of how they entered the US or how long they have been in the US.

Thoughts?

Let's go to party

Star Member
Aug 16, 2019
I am set to start my graduate studies in September 2020 but am so far unable to enter Canada because of the travel restrictions. I am in Hong Kong and cannot directly fly to Canada and enter Canada at the moment. The reason is that my study permit was approved after March 18. However, I might be able to obtain a document from my university that states that my presence is non-discretionary. So, I am still stuck with not being able to enter because of my permit that was approved after March 18.

UNTIL, ....

Specifically:

"
If you are a foreign national arriving from the United States, to enter Canada, you must prove to the CBSA that you:

• are travelling for a non-discretionary (essential) purpose or are an immediate family member
The Canada-U.S. temporary border restriction continues. All discretionary/optional travel remains prohibited.

"

The addition of "foreign national" was not in this document before. Previously, it only stated that "coming from the US"...

It clearly states that foreign nationals (not just Americans or American permanent residents) can enter Canada from US territory given the above-listed conditions are met. In those conditions there is no specific travel restriction, targeting students, listed.

Hence, I interpret this as follows: I am on American soil and approach the US/Canada land-based border as non-American/non-Canadian. I aim to enter Canada for non-discretionary purposes as stated in the letter by my university (of course subject to final approval by border agent). I don't show COVID symptoms, and I have a clear and precise quarantine plan in place. Coming from the US it does not mention when my study permit must have been approved as long as it is approved by the time I approach the border.

Question: What does any of you think? As long as I can legally enter the US from Hong Kong (which I currently can) will this be interpreted as abusing a loophole or was it intentionally designed by the Canadian government to use the US as sort of a "buffer" where entrants first need to be qualified to enter or be in the US before they will be vetted to enter Canada? To me the wording is very clear and precise and it clearly states that "foreign nationals" coming to Canada from the US refers to foreign nationals who approach the Canadian border from US soil, regardless of how they entered the US or how long they have been in the US.

Thoughts?
Try calling the CBSA

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020

UNTIL, ....

Specifically:

"

"

Thoughts?
Yes you can

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Everything you posted above. If you can prove your travel is essential (verbally or through written proof) then you should be allowed to enter Canada from the US regardless of citizenship

Matt173

Oct 13, 2019
That is my understanding of the wording. But it makes me still wonder because in this case would not any foreign national who can enter the US not just do exactly that and then cross the border into Canada while flying into Canada would not be allowed for anyone whose study permit has been approved after March 18? I just have a hard time believing that as new international student whose study permit was approved after March 18 it is not allowed to fly to Vancouver directly but if flying to Seattle, for example, and crossing the land based border it would be allowed. Just seems dodgy.

Everything you posted above. If you can prove your travel is essential (verbally or through written proof) then you should be allowed to enter Canada from the US regardless of citizenship

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I don't know how you have the ability to travel to the US so you can cross the border but most people don't have that option and even if they do, it may cost them extra money.

Matt173

Oct 13, 2019
Hong Kong is specially exempt from the travel restriction into the US (though travel from mainland China is currently not permitted) and a flight from Hong Kong via Vancouver transit, meaning not entering Canada at that point but simply transiting, to Seattle is cheaper than the same flight but with final destination Vancouver.

I don't know how you have the ability to travel to the US so you can cross the border but most people don't have that option and even if they do, it may cost them extra money.

Matt173

Oct 13, 2019
Well I want to avoid costly mistakes such as flying half around the world only to be refused at entry to Canada. That's why I raised the question to see whether anyone else has done so or whether my English comprehension is letting me down...

If you're willing to be a little adventurous then good luck

Matt173

Oct 13, 2019
bump - anyone traveled with their study permit approved after March 18 and could enter Canada? I got the "essential travel" part covered but am still too chicken to go through the US just to be refused at the Canadian border to give it a try even though air tickets HK -> Seattle are pretty reasonable at the moment...

SeaPanda

Sep 14, 2020
bump- is this applicable to all foreign nationals to apply for study permit at poe as long the applicant have a non-discretionary letter issued by universities?

i don’t think canada is naive to do that being that universities will choose to issue the letter to profit from tuition fees.