17-11-2011
Med's Done....
22-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2011
LANDED..........
working
ths s a basic question which i felt should write

i got my pr and plan to land soon , today one guy came to congratulate me and was desperate to go to canada on a study visa spending 18 lakh rupees by selling everything.

when i went for my medical in fortis chandigarh , i was the only pr medical but 100 med for students to ca every day 5 day a week from last two years..i took the data and crossed checked with one more medical place in my state i.e amritsar , thr the average was 50 per day.

now these guys go and generally dont study and look for employment to fetch out money to pay back home and thr survival , this thoug depends case to case.

if so do these guys get SIN to work , if so do they reach PR for ca or move back after few years.

the data provider of chandigarh fortis hospital also told me that same scene was of australia few months back , but due to there strict laws students have shifted to CA.

NOW ARENT THEY THREAT TO PROSPECTIVE NEW IMMIGRANT WHO ARE LOOKING FOR ODD JOBS TILL CA EDU OR EXP. IS GATHERED

as any employer will try to keep students due to acceptability of low wages..

i infact randomly asked about 20 students where they want to go ..answer was ontario..

is CANADA going to become AUSTRALIA..
r they not checking private institutes of what they r doing with students influx which will lead to crime and hatred for sub-continent people

is this a risk in On in coming future (like australia)

let us discuss for all these students

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
WAIVED !!!!!/ Casual interview with visa officer on 5/3/2012
Passport Req..
21/2/2012, submitted on 27/2/2012
VISA ISSUED...
1/3/2012, valid till 20/12/2012, collected on 5/3/2012
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
Why are you thinking that there is a risk in ON if it becomes like Australia. There has never been a risk in Australia. Well education is an industry for these countries and they make billions out of it. Genuine students who study in Canada perform better then Skilled migrants, most of migrants end up in odd jobs because they loose hope. No one is stoping direct immigrants to compete and students are more time tested for Canada then direct immigrants.

Harry ( student to Australia, now Australian PR and soon to be Canada PR )

saki

VIP Member
Apr 7, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree with what harry_aussie said as i myself live in Australia.

Some people do come to Australia with a priority of making money rather than studies but it does not mean that they will not get PR or they wont be able to finish their studies and go back, it depends how you plan to live, if you just want to earn money without caring about your future then obviously you will breach your visa conditions by working more than the allowed hours (student visa) and the day you get caught you will be deported.

Immigration give student visa to those only who looks genuine student and fullfil the visa requirements. Its hard for students to work and study or just to do casual jobs whereas immigrants can apply for a professional jobs related to their fields can start their own business etc etc, so i wont say having these students in canada would make it hard for the immigrants.

In short its just how much effort you put in to get into your professional field in Canada and how much luck is with you.

Australia / Canada are the land of opportunities it depends on you how you achieve your dreams.

Cheers
Saki

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Working in Canada : [size=18pt]International Students[/size]

Citizenship and Immigration Canada states that:
As an international student "you must come to Canada with enough money to live and pay your bills while you are studying, without needing to work. You may be able to work while you are studying, which will help you earn extra money and gain Canadian work experience, but it won't sustain you."

Who can work & How to?
As a general rule, anyone who is not a Canadian Citizen or a PR must have a Work Permit for all & any work in Canada. Normally, under the Foreign Worker Regulations, an employer has to prove that there are no qualified Canadian Citizens or PRs suitable for the position [This is done thru the HRSDC's LMO route]. However, there are exemptions which apply to international students, by which they may not take the LMO processing.

Students Working 'On-Campus'
International students who hold a valid Study Permit may look for and accept employment 'on-campus' provided they are in attendance and registered as full-time students at the post-secondary institution where the employment will take place. In this case, a Work Permit is NOT required.

"On-campus" employment is defined as employment in facilities owned, leased, or rented by the educational institution (for example it can be a private business located on-campus that provides service to the institution). ISWOP (International Student Work Opportunities Program) is an on-campus employment program for international undergraduate students which was piloted in 2005. Over 365 International Students have participated since the program started, including 90 participants the 2010-2011 academic year. ISWOP provides students with financial assistance through paid part-time employment on the campus.

Working 'Off-Campus'
On April 27, 2006, CIC launched the long awaited OCWP (Off-Campus Work Permit) Program, a new initiative which allows international post-secondary students, to apply for a work permit to work off-campus [Apps fee: $150]. This program gives eligible international students the opportunity to participate more fully in the wider Canadian communities. As of June 1, 2011, over 1300 eligible international students have been able to apply for an OCWP.

Restrictions on Hours of Work
Once the international students receive their OCWP, they can work up to 20 hrs. per week off campus while classes are in session. They can work full-time during scheduled breaks, including summer or winter holidays and reading weeks.

Note:
1. This 20hrs./week remains same for ISWOP too.
2. While classes are in session, they must be studying full-time and retain academic standing to keep the OCWP valid.

Can the Study Permit & OCWP application/s go together?
No. One cannot apply for a study permit and an off-campus work permit at the same time. To qualify for the program, one must already hold a valid study permit, and s/he must have been a full-time student at a participating institution for at least 6 of the last 12 months before s/he apply. MEANING? -for the 1st 6-months an international student cannot work [off-campus]...it s/he does, it'd be illegal.

Why this 6-month's wait? Canada wants you to study here [the original purpose you came here for] and be gainful to its economy, as well as your own future. The likelihood of students quitting their study program is highest during the first few months of study. Which is why CIC wants to ensure that work permits are issued to legitimate students, with legitimate intentions... there's a benefit to both the parties.

For more information on OCWP, pls visit:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp

Other types of Work Programs for international students
a) Co-op and Internship Programs [if applicable]: Pls visit: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-coop.asp
b) Post-Graduation Work Program [if applicable]: Pls visit: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad.asp

Know Your Rights as a legitimate International Student Worker
All workers in Ontario are protected by the Employment Standards Act, a government document which states the minimum workplace standards that employers are legally required to follow. This includes the minimum amount of money a worker must be paid (minimum wage), the number of breaks a worker is entitled to during a work shift, illness and safety issues, as well as a number of other topics.

For more information about the ESA, pls visit:
http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es/faqs/general.php

SIN (Social Insurance Number)
If anyone wants to work in Canada, they must have a Social Insurance Number - regardless of the type or duration of their work term. An employer cannot pay you until you have this number. The same applies for international students as well [those intend to also work here].

Now comes the OP's (manunidhi21) queries:

Q-1. Many guys desperate to go to canada on a study visa spending IRs.1.8 million?
A. Yes, it's a big business. Besides many of the applicants aren't aware of the complications [quitting studies & working]. It'd mar their chances of getting the PR. Completion of the study program is mandatory alongwith a yr's experience.

Q-2. Is Canada going to become Australia?
A. If the intent of the query is the surge of Canadian study visa apps - YES. Aus being lately complacent on the process - Ca sure gets a huge momentum on international students. And with the Conservative's [hush hush] immigration agenda - this seems to be the more aggressive way of getting newcomers in the future, rather than the FSW route.

Q-3. Aren't they threat to prospective new immigrants who are looking for odd-jobs?
A. You are partially correct. Many employers [e.g. food outlets] hire part-time students, in cash, paying them lesser than the min. wg. Somewhere around $7-9. But, they often do so illegally. Half of the students do not process their OCWP. And that sure kills the initial job mkt of the new immigrants. However, this is a minuscule sector. And those jobs are mostly unsuitable for the more serious settler. We have better opportunities, viz in Walmart, Canadian Tire, FedEx, Tim Horton's, Transport Cos., Security Cos. etc. [if we are looking for survival jobs]; and these employers do not hire illegally... neither they pay less [usually higher than the min. wg.].

Q-4. Is this a risk in ON in coming future (like australia)?
A. No. Not at all. It's neither in Aus. I believe ur intent in that query is reg. 'job-loss' for the newcomers -- as explained in my prev. ans. it doesn't dent the mkt. For us, the important ques. is, "are we ready?" If we are [mentally & egoistically] - then there's no dearth of jobs here, neither will be in the near future, unless there's a repeat of [God forbid] the WW-Great Depression once again, akin to 1929.

Hope that eased something/somewhere!

Qorax

manunidhi21

Dec 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-3-2011
Med's Request
17-11-2011
Med's Done....
22-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2011
LANDED..........
working
thnx all,

qorx, special thnx
i just do not want racism..if a Canadian will be loosing a job bcz of cheap labour available(students) the hurting will grow with time..

and on economics with the greece prblm not solving it looks end of EU which may lead to WW GD1929..
american data as though doesnt suggest that
here is a link for you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NblhUrcdrSc

regards

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
manunidhi21 said:
thnx all,

qorx, special thnx
i just do not want racism..if a Canadian will be loosing a job bcz of cheap labour available(students) the hurting will grow with time..

and on economics with the greece prblm not solving it looks end of EU which may lead to WW GD1929..
american data as though doesnt suggest that
here is a link for you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NblhUrcdrSc

regards
A more detailed info could be taken from the 4-part 'Meltdown" series:

Meltdown - Global Financial Collapse and its Secret History
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWU65Zbka4E

Qorax
*But, the world is not collapsing as yet... the trifle issue of the OP doesn't change anything.

manunidhi21

Dec 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-3-2011
Med's Request
17-11-2011
Med's Done....
22-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2011
LANDED..........
working
Qorax
*But, the world is not collapsing as yet... the trifle issue of the OP doesn't change anything.

;D

the whole issue was to educate those students who are selling everything from india and moving to CA..
the idea s job than study in most cases..speking with evidence

further coming on economics, it is true the world is not collapsing but thr is a catch22 situation,
which was not n 2008, the good part is thr s not much f a bubble in north america

but india atleast in my knowledge sitting on a big black money real estate bubble
i hav one property worth rs 20 lkh valued bfr two years , and i hav a ready buyer for 50lkh (2dy)..
thr has been no advancement in the small town i live , nor the work done on that proerty if constructed can yeild better than bank interest

still rising ;D

good for me but very bad for future..i plan to shift to canada for my kid..
i think mess has started in india ..though we hav a very good basic economic model..

qorax sir , its all about point of view ..i want to live where i do not need to kill my self conscious everyday(case 2 case)..
i love canada

regards

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
Dear Manunidhi, first i would say that you are being too much possesive and protectionist about Canada. Everyone has a way of fulfilling their dream to live in Canada, either by direct Permanent Residency or transition from student visa. You are going as a Permanent resident in Canada and your competition in getting the jobs is with other Permanent Residents. It seems like in case you are unable to find a job soon, you will start blaming students for that. The main motive why students spend so much money to come to Canada is that they want to stay there Permanently by whatever means.

Parents send their kids to these countries because they want to give a good future to their kids and this is what you are doing.

manunidhi21

Dec 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-3-2011
Med's Request
17-11-2011
Med's Done....
22-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2011
LANDED..........
working
true harry..

but guys who are going , whom i met were 10th class pass , all fake degrees and all busted by immigration agents..
i can only pray for that brain drain..

i agree for those who are serious..
and parents do not want to send, its the lust for a life of thr nri relatives who bring good amount when they visit back..
anyways this does not matter as if they will never realize the reality till they visit..

i met many during my medical so was feeling bad..cant even speak englis/french and still going as students
i must not comment till i am myself not thr..i think canada is a land of oppurtunty and god will bless all

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
Dear Manunidhi

Yes you are right that Canada should not let substandard students to exploit the student visa programme. English or french knowledge should be must. For these countries students are a business and a source to fund their universities, which benifit their citizens or permanent residents by providing cheap studies.

So as a citizen or permanent resident you get benifits from students.

Naavy100

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi,India
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-11-09
Doc's Request.
6-02-10
IELTS Request
6-02-10 - 7 Bands
File Transfer...
10-02-2010
Med's Request
19/11/2010
Med's Done....
7/12/2010
Passport Req..
19/11/2010
VISA ISSUED...
15/2/2011
LANDED..........
22 April 2011
Adding to this :

As you are aware, the OCWP Program permits eligible students to work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions, and full time during scheduled breaks (for example, winter and summer holidays, and spring break). While classes are in session, applicants must be studying full time and retain satisfactory academic standing to keep their off-campus work permit.

Students who have taken breaks from their scheduled studies (i.e. a semester off) are not eligible for an OCWP, and they must surrender their OCWP if they have already obtained one.

These restrictions are clearly stated on our Web site as well as the guide accompanying the application kit, which can be viewed at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp.