+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

international students covered by Manitoba Health Insurance in case of pregnancy

monchi

Mar 18, 2014
Hello, Are international students coverred by MBHI ? I am wondering because my girlfriend who is also international student both of us studying at Red River College might become parents :'( and we both are covered by the insurance . but Will the pregnancy also be ? or the baby?

Angil_Teri

Mar 14, 2014
If it works like in Quebec and your girlfriend is covered, she should be covered while you guys are insured by the government. I had that happen to friends here in quebec, the baby was covered while the parents were covered, but once the insure expired for the parents the baby wasn't covered anymore even though she was born in canada and has a canadian passport, the baby gets the same status as the parents.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Angil_Teri said:
I had that happen to friends here in quebec, the baby was covered while the parents were covered, but once the insure expired for the parents the baby wasn't covered anymore even though she was born in canada and has a canadian passport, the baby gets the same status as the parents.
This is bad information and your friends must have done something very wrong or not followed the proper processes / paperwork. Unless the baby is born to diplomats, it will automatically be a Canadian citizen and will automatically qualify for health benefits. The status of the parents doesn't matter.

monchi

Mar 18, 2014
Thank you guys for your answers I just know my ESL teacher told me once the citizenship of the baby will be either the mom´s or dad´s citizenship but not canadian but I wasn´t interested back then if a baby would be covered or not. Thanks to both of u

Angil_Teri

Mar 14, 2014
scylla said:
This is bad information and your friends must have done something very wrong or not followed the proper processes / paperwork. Unless the baby is born to diplomats, it will automatically be a Canadian citizen and will automatically qualify for health benefits. The status of the parents doesn't matter.
I was sure of that too. I tried to tell my friends, but they have met and talked to several people trying to get health care at least for their baby, who was born in Canada and has the Canadian passport, but they told them several times and sent them a refusal letter saying that the baby is not eligible for heath care, it didn't matter hat she was born in Canada and had a Canadian passport and documents. because she has the same status as the parents automatically. And they said only when the parents can get medicare again the baby will be able to get it, so my friend is runing like crazy to get an LMO to be able to give his daughter medicare while he waits for his immigration process.

It sounds ridiculous, I know, it truly happened to my friends who are both from Venezuela, he was my classmate in school in Montreal. I found it outrageous: a baby born in Canada should have same rights as a Canadian. I even told him to try and argue, I don't know what kind of people in the government end up processing the request for this friends of mine (who is one of the nicest people I ever met and a super dad), but they always give him horrible information! But this was bad, and they insist in refusing the baby.