+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Students Based In The USA(Non-Citizens & Non Permanent Residents) Wanting To Travel To Canada This COVID-19 Period, Enter Here.....

Sam123Smr

Star Member
Jan 28, 2021
Vaccinations don't work immediately. We also don't know whether people can still be carriers when vaccinated and what vaccinations work against which mutations. There are likely more mutations that we don't know about and more mutations that will be created. It isn't as simple as just more people getting vaccinations. April is also very close so not sure if changes in such a short time frame are realistic. I personally think we may see changes by the Fall.
I agree with you.

ABmercy&Gr8s

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
Would suggest people include whether they are US citizens or not. Whether they are visa exempt or not.
Nice suggestion! I am a temporary resident with F1-Visa. I am on OPT till 2022. Securing an H1-B proved to be difficult, hence the need to port quickly to Canada through studies, where I am assured of getting my PR after studies. Stability is the number one thing in my mind, and Canada offers that to me, spouse and kids. The joy that my spouse can work while I study, with the fact that our stability after the completion of study is not in doubt, makes Canada a place to be for me. Canny all the way..lol ..!
Guys, let's roll with updates!!!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Nice suggestion! I am a temporary resident with F1-Visa. I am on OPT till 2022. Securing an H1-B proved to be difficult, hence the need to port quickly to Canada through studies, where I am assured of getting my PR after studies. Stability is the number one thing in my mind, and Canada offers that to me, spouse and kids. The joy that my spouse can work while I study, with the fact that our stability after the completion of study is not in doubt, makes Canada a place to be for me. Canny all the way..lol ..!
Guys, let's roll with updates!!!
Canadians are referred to as Canucks. Whether you are a US citizen or require a visa/permits often change answers when it comes to entering Canada which is why I suggested mentioning your status PR isn't guaranteed. You need to remain a full-time student to qualify for PGWP and get a skilled job for a year. If you do both yes you will almost 100% qualify for PR.

ABmercy&Gr8s

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
Canadians are referred to as Canucks. Whether you are a US citizen or require a visa/permits often change answers when it comes to entering Canada which is why I suggested mentioning your status PR isn't guaranteed. You need to remain a full-time student to qualify for PGWP and get a skilled job for a year. If you do both yes you will almost 100% qualify for PR.
I understand these conditions, friend. They are similar to the US's here. You 've gotta maintain your full-time status as an international student. The difference is that fulfilling those conditions in Canada would guarantee a PR, while in the USA, it does not. For instance, if I had studied in Canada the last three of four years as I did in the USA, with those conditions your mentioned, I would have become a PR by now. I maintained my full-time status for the two years of my Master's program, worked in a field related to my program, which is not below NOC class B of Canadian equivalence! With all these conditions met, I should have been a PR in Canny by now. Better late than never, anyways. It is what it is.

ABmercy&Gr8s

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
Whether you are a US citizen or require a visa/permits often change answers when it comes to entering Canada

@ Canuck, could you, please, clarify the above statement. Are you referring to questions being asked at the Port of Entry?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I understand these conditions, friend. They are similar to the US's here. You 've gotta maintain your full-time status as an international student. The difference is that fulfilling those conditions in Canada would guarantee a PR, while in the USA, it does not. For instance, if I had studied in Canada the last three of four years as I did in the USA, with those conditions your mentioned, I would have become a PR by now. I maintained my full-time status for the two years of my Master's program, worked in a field related to my program, which is not below NOC class B of Canadian equivalence! With all these conditions met, I should have been a PR in Canny by now. Better late than never, anyways. It is what it is.
Nobody refers to Canada as Canny. Unfortunately some people are under the false impression that studying in Canada as an international student will guarantee them permanent residency. It is important to clarify that although it makes it much easier to secure PR it is not guaranteed. You also must attend a school that qualifies for PGWP. One of the issues we see on this forum are students who go to a DLI approved school but the school doesn't qualify for PGWP.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Whether you are a US citizen or require a visa/permits often change answers when it comes to entering Canada

@ Canuck, could you, please, clarify the above statement. Are you referring to questions being asked at the Port of Entry?
Could be at port of entry but I was originally referring to the different requirements to enter Canada based on whether you and your family are US citizens or citizens of other countries. The title of the thread is international students based in the USA. That groups a large cross-section of people in one group so it would be very helpful to state what your status in the US is to get the correct answer..

ABmercy&Gr8s

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
Nobody refers to Canada as Canny. Unfortunately some people are under the false impression that studying in Canada as an international student will guarantee them permanent residency. It is important to clarify that although it makes it much easier to secure PR it is not guaranteed. You also must attend a school that qualifies for PGWP. One of the issues we see on this forum are students who go to a DLI approved school but the school doesn't qualify for PGWP.
Thanks for pointing to the direction of the 'Canny' word. It was just an informal way, I 'invented' , of relating with folks offline to refer to Canada.
That said, the place of one's school being a DLI in getting a PGWP is well understood. These are some of the minor researches students whose aim is to stay back would be interested in knowing. It's just like understanding that one's course of study in the USA needs be approved by the appropriate regulating body, and the school is also well accredited by the USCIC to issue an I-20, without which one cannot get OPT or H1-B . The fact is a student who maintained the conditions of being an international student in the USA up till the OPT end, if in Canada, would get his/her PR easily having fulfilled same conditions.

Let's bring it on guys, as new developments unfold, specifically for USA guys moving to 'Canny' .

Last edited:

ABmercy&Gr8s

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
Could be at port of entry but I was originally referring to the different requirements to enter Canada based on whether you and your family are US citizens or citizens of other countries. The title of the thread is international students based in the USA. That groups a large cross-section of people in one group so it would be very helpful to state what your status in the US is to get the correct answer..
Got ya! The thread is meant for International students ( non-Canadian or Non-Permanent Resident of Canada who is a student in a Canadian School), based in the USA. Of course, these individuals being targeted here are the non-citizens, and non-permanent residents.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for pointing to the direction of the 'Canny' word. It was just an informal way, I 'invented' , of relating with folks offline to refer to Canada.
That said, the place of one's school being a DLI in getting a PGWP is well understood. These are some of the minor researches students whose aim is to stay back would be interested in knowing. It's just like understanding that one's course of study in the USA needs be approved by the appropriate regulating body, and the school is also well accredited by the USCIC to issue an I-20, without which one cannot get OPT or H1-B . The fact is a student who maintained the conditions of being an international student in the USA up till the OPT end, if in Canada, would get his/her PR easily having fulfilled same conditions.

Let's bring it on guys, as new developments unfold, specifically for USA guys moving to 'Canny' .
Not all DLI approved schools qualify for PGWP. These are the type of issues that lead to problems. Some international students study at a DLI approved school and then get denied when they apply for PGWP because they don't realize that they need to be at a school approved for DLI and which qualifies for PGWP.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare/designated-learning-institutions-list.html

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Got ya! The thread is meant for International students ( non-Canadian or Non-Permanent Resident of Canada who is a student in a Canadian School), based in the USA. Of course, these individuals being targeted here are the non-citizens, and non-permanent residents.
You need to add whether you are a US citizen.

ABmercy&Gr8s

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
Not all DLI approved schools qualify for PGWP. These are the type of issues that lead to problems. Some international students study at a DLI approved school and then get denied when they apply for PGWP because they don't realize that they need to be at a school approved for DLI and which qualifies for PGWP.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare/designated-learning-institutions-list.html
You are right, and I do hope every international student with the hope of staying back after studies will do the simple research of understanding a DLI school that also qualifies for PGWP. This is very important to note even before applying to any school. The two criteria must be passed.

Last edited: