+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Students Based In The USA(Non-Citizens & Non Permanent Residents) Wanting To Travel To Canada This COVID-19 Period, Enter Here.....

ABmercy&Gr8s

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
This thread is for International Students, based in the USA, who already have their Letter of Study application approval(Letter of Approval) or the Study Permit. We all know that COVID-19 has changed the way things used to be in terms of ease of traveling. The requirements for individuals wanting to travel to Canada from the USA is often different, hence the need to create this thread.

So, it would be a great thing to share our experiences boarding our flights, landing in Canada, the quarantine process, the three-day mandatory hotel bookings, and all. It would be nice to put a word of advise or two in case of any potential 'pitfalls', or things we later learnt we could have done differently. The number of travelers; were the only person that travelled or you moved with your immediate family member(s) (1,2,3,etc)? Hotel recommendation based on personal experience. Were you refunded if you spent less that 3 days, how cheap in relative to other hotels? Did you move through the land border in case your final destination is the border city( e.g traveling to Windsor from Detroit using the tunnel or Ambassador bridge).

All these would be of great help to intending travelers. In my case, I would be moving in first week of May with my spouse and kids. I understand a written authorization may be required by IRCC for immediate family members who want to travel from outside the USA to Canada. The only point of confusion is the information that ONLY ONE member of family is allowed to travel. Everything would definitely become clearer as the days go by.
Feel free to share your experience guys; USA to Canada travelers only!

For the sake of clarity, this thread applies to non-citizens, and non-permanent residents of USA only.

Last edited:

ABmercy&Gr8s

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
You can also post your concerns. I intend to use the AirCanada, and land in Toronto if I go by air. I'm also considering going in through the Windsor-Detroit tunnel if I'm convinced that there won't be any problem for a first timer. Windsor is my final destination.

ABmercy&Gr8s

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
I am planning to drive to toronto via rainbow bridge. Self + family sometime in April.
Cool. I'm glad to know about this. I am also trying to consider the land route via the Windsor-Detroit tunnel. I wanna finish my first semester later in April before moving in early May. I also have family( spouse and kids). please guy let relate, share info on the experiences of others.

Sam123Smr

Star Member
Jan 28, 2021
Are you an international student? Would you be entering Canada for the first time?
My spouse is student. I am on OWP. We will start once my spouse's 1st term is over in April end. Hopefully travel restrictions will change by the time we travel. We will be entering Canada for the first time.

ABmercy&Gr8s

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
My spouse is student. I am on OWP. We will start once my spouse's 1st term is over in April end. Hopefully travel restrictions will change by the time we travel. We will be entering Canada for the first time.
Good to know. In my case, I'm the student, while spouse is on OWP. I do hope that the travel restriction would have eased down a little by then. Are you aware of any challenge people who tried to enter through the land border faced?

Sam123Smr

Star Member
Jan 28, 2021
Good to know. In my case, I'm the student, while spouse is on OWP. I do hope that the travel restriction would have eased down a little by then. Are you aware of any challenge people who tried to enter through the land border faced?
I dont have any idea. Even i am trying to find out. Hopefully people will update their experience. If you come across do share updates.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unlikely to have changed by then. Changes will likely only come when Canada has reached herd immunity or herd immunity for adults.

Sam123Smr

Star Member
Jan 28, 2021
Unlikely to have changed by then. Changes will likely only come when Canada has reached herd immunity or herd immunity for adults.
I agree. Only hoping with increase in vaccination in both US & Canada they will be a lenient with Covid testing in case you carry negative covid report or vaccination certificate.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I agree. Only hoping with increase in vaccination in both US & Canada they will be a lenient with Covid testing in case you carry negative covid report or vaccination certificate.
Vaccinations don't work immediately. We also don't know whether people can still be carriers when vaccinated and what vaccinations work against which mutations. There are likely more mutations that we don't know about and more mutations that will be created. It isn't as simple as just more people getting vaccinations. April is also very close so not sure if changes in such a short time frame are realistic. I personally think we may see changes by the Fall.