+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Students (approved before 18) need an 'essential' reason to travel to Canada.

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
Hi. Where are you departing? I'm a foreign national traveling from the US, so we're kind of on the same boat. I don't know if it's different for us traveling from the states.

I already booked a flight also on August 2 and I'll fly to Winnipeg from Minnesota
from california - but at the rate people are getting sick over here, I’m not sure if August is late enough in the year to get in :(

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
Even sans study permit? I’m guessing mine will still be processing by then.
I'm not really sure about this. Since I'm not a US citizen, I have to apply for a study permit, but I think it might be different in your case. But generally, if you want study, you need to have a study permit. It is stated on IRCC website that those who arrive from the US only need to prove that they travel for essential purposes. So I think as long as you can prove this to the CBSA, I think it should be fine.

When will you fly?

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
I'm not really sure about this. Since I'm not a US citizen, I have to apply for a study permit, but I think it might be different in your case. But generally, if you want study, you need to have a study permit. It is stated on IRCC website that those who arrive from the US only need to prove that they travel for essential purposes. So I think as long as you can prove this to the CBSA, I think it should be fine.

When will you fly?
Where ya from? Or are you Canadian?

Flight is booked for aug 9. I’ve been hearing all sorts of things about entering though. Most often “it’s inconsistent and typically up to the officer helping you” which sounds really risky and i’d hope by the time I fly things have been ironed out a bit more.

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
Where ya from? Or are you Canadian?

Flight is booked for aug 9. I’ve been hearing all sorts of things about entering though. Most often “it’s inconsistent and typically up to the officer helping you” which sounds really risky and i’d hope by the time I fly things have been ironed out a bit more.
I'm from Vietnam. Have been in US under F1 student visa. I can't really stay in the US without studying/doing nothing. My studies has ended and I applied and transferred all credits to Canada. I'll just prepare all documents as many as possible. I have a sister who is studying in Canada, so I may ask her to add me to the current lease.

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
I'm from Vietnam. Have been in US under F1 student visa. I can't really stay in the US without studying/doing nothing. My studies has ended and I applied and transferred all credits to Canada. I'll just prepare all documents as many as possible. I have a sister who is studying in Canada, so I may ask her to add me to the current lease.
do you think being on a Canadian lease is helpful?

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
do you think being on a Canadian lease is helpful?
I think so. The final decision lies on CBSA though, but that has always been the case. Even before the pandemic, with a study visa, you still face the chances of being denied, it's just now that chance is higher.

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
I think so. The final decision lies on CBSA though, but that has always been the case. Even before the pandemic, with a study visa, you still face the chances of being denied, it's just now that chance is higher.
Yeah, that makes sense. I’m hoping that being a US citizen still favors me more than hinders me...

Biahkh

Jul 5, 2020
Hello, I am planning to arrive in August and my study permit was approved before 18th March. My PhD program is funded and I wont get my funding unless I arrive in Canada for the fall semester. Do you guys think this would count as essential travel? One more thing, I won't be able to pay the fees without getting the funding. Any kind of help is appreciated. Thanks

Dafaqisgoingon

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
Hi everyone
I have already been approved for study permit before 18 March. I was wondering what if my IELTS expires before i land in Canada? Do I have to take another IELTS exam if it expires before i can reach canada. This is due to deferral and covid 19 restrictions.

Thanks in advance.

Matt173

Oct 13, 2019
That is not what is officially stated:

"You’re exempt from the travel restrictions and are able to enter Canada if you’re travelling for a non-discretionary or non-optional purpose AND..."

Regardless of when the study permit was approved the issue is also hinging on whether the travel is essential or non essential. And the added exception seems to apply to US citizens or PR holders coming from the US only, not to all international students who happen to land in the US and proceed to the Canadian border.

Not sure what you are referring to in this letter,if your permit was approved before March 18 you can travel and will be allowed into Canada, the little disclaimer there is the usual disclaimer about it being up to the officer to make the decision to let you in, this has always been the case even before Covid, so don't take that too literally.

Clearly explained here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors-foreign-workers-students.html#restrictions-students

Now some airlines don't understand the rules and that is an issue so its important to confirm with them if they will let you board.

Matt173

Oct 13, 2019
Great to hear. From your earlier post, I assume you are a current/previous US F-1 student visa holder?

The additional exemption of students from US is very opaque and not well defined as a number of other issues such as essential vs non-essential. "From US" means US citizens and permanent residents? Includes international students such as yours? Means anyone entering Canada from the US land-based border? What is so un-assuring is that officials are not in agreement by themselves.

I just landed. I flew from Minneapolis to Winnipeg. Cbsa only asked why I come and what my program is. They were nice.

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
Great to hear. From your earlier post, I assume you are a current/previous US F-1 student visa holder?

The additional exemption of students from US is very opaque and not well defined as a number of other issues such as essential vs non-essential. "From US" means US citizens and permanent residents? Includes international students such as yours? Means anyone entering Canada from the US land-based border? What is so un-assuring is that officials are not in agreement by themselves.
Hi. I was on the US F-1 student visa. I'm not sure about the lastest update for US students since I have my visa approved before March 18. The CBSA did asked me about my status in the US though. They were easy on me maybe bcause Winnipeg airport is small and not many visitors I guess.