+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Students (approved before 18) need an 'essential' reason to travel to Canada.

Dafaqisgoingon

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
Ok now waiting is my new hobby :) can only wait till IRCC update their website. Do you think it's possible to meet with CBSA at the airport? Thinking about asking my friend in canada to actually go to the cbsa office to ask. I think I'm getting crzy :eek:
I don't know how that works. Sorry. You should ask your friend to give it a try.

fatimajill

Mar 8, 2019
DO you guys think GIC is an essential reason?
The fact that we deposited that amount for security which will only be released on our arrival in Canada.

Reactions: Zarak ali

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
Yea by first week of August. It’s best to postpone travel until August as leaving now makes such travel non-essential. Imagine paying rent and feeding when there’s no job.
Hi Just want to check how ur going with ur plan. Are you still planning to come to Canada given that classes are moving online?

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
Yea I am. Nigeria’s airspace is yet to open though but I will leave as soon as flights begin operations.
Great to hear that. Is you college going to give you a support letter so that you can show at the POE? It's still in discussion that online study may not be considered as essential

Uti

Aug 9, 2019
I called CBSA twice at two different call centres. One said I can enter but the other one said I can't since the classes are online it is not essential.

Reactions: vhptanh@97

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
I called CBSA twice at two different call centres. One said I can enter but the other one said I can't since the classes are online it is not essential.
Ok I called twice too. Both from US. One said I may enter at later date but one confirmed that unless I have personal asset in Canada, I can't enter.
One guy on Twitter even called 4 times, 2 times can enter and 2 times will be denied.
The final decision lies at the border officers so I don't really want to care about agents at call center anymore since they're so inconsistent. Just prepare to answer the border officer's questions regards your travel.

Blema

Star Member
Nov 9, 2018
Great to hear that. Is you college going to give you a support letter so that you can show at the POE? It's still in discussion that online study may not be considered as essential
I’m to have a Skype meeting with them next month to decide that.

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
Joining this thread for more info.

I'm a US citizen in the middle of applying and already booked a flight early august. here's to waiting...
Hi. Where are you departing? I'm a foreign national traveling from the US, so we're kind of on the same boat. I don't know if it's different for us traveling from the states.

I already booked a flight also on August 2 and I'll fly to Winnipeg from Minnesota