+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Students (approved before 18) need an 'essential' reason to travel to Canada.

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
Fair enough. I agree, even if students have online classes there isn't possibly any reason to travel two months prior to one's course in the middle of a pandemic.
However, what we need to know is whether online classes is an 'essential' reason to travel when the time is right.
I suppose the reason we haven't received a clear answer yet is because no one knows how the situation might turn out for fall term. I think the IRCC is trying to stabilize the corona virus situation by then but cant promise anything.
I guess we have to wait and see how everything turns out in time
Seems like nobody knows because IRCC hasn't published proper guidelines for International Students and what would be considered essential. We just need to be optimistic that this virus is mitigated to the point that Uni/Colleges can start in person classes. But, seeing the plans of Unis/colleges for fall 2020, its still in the air about in person classes.....
According to what the agent told me, it is mostly CBSA's decision upon the arrival to Canada, so it really depends. Maybe some officers are easier than others, and I think it also depends on which province you're going to, i.e. if the situation is good in that province, maybe you're allowed, e.g. PEI, but who knows. I'll try to call CBSA again when I'm registered for classes on June 24th. I need to come to Canada now since I no longer pursue studies in the US, and I don't want to illegally stay here.

I just don't understand why the agent @Blema spoke to confirmed that we can come. It's really confusing

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
Hi

Hi bro, one simple doubt. What about those students who got study permit after march 18 for fall intake. I couldn't get answer from anyone. Can u please share your thoughts.
Can't travel. The exemption only applies to students who were approved for a study permit before the travel restrictions placed on March 18. You should wait for IRCC updates, but even those who got approved before March 18 are in limbo atm

Reactions: Zarak ali

Dafaqisgoingon

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
Hi

Hi bro, one simple doubt. What about those students who got study permit after march 18 for fall intake. I couldn't get answer from anyone. Can u please share your thoughts.
They aren't even allowing majority of students approved before 18 march. Been approved since 2019. After 18 march need to wait just like before 18 March students for further updates.

Dafaqisgoingon

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
According to what the agent told me, it is mostly CBSA's decision upon the arrival to Canada, so it really depends. Maybe some officers are easier than others, and I think it also depends on which province you're going to, i.e. if the situation is good in that province, maybe you're allowed, e.g. PEI, but who knows. I'll try to call CBSA again when I'm registered for classes on June 24th. I need to come to Canada now since I no longer pursue studies in the US, and I don't want to illegally stay here.

I just don't understand why the agent @Blema spoke to confirmed that we can come. It's really confusing
Yep. Its really confusing. Explains why every new student was denied to board by Air India. So you didn't ask anything about online classes? Thanks.

Reactions: GradStudent18

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
Yep. Its really confusing. Explains why every new student was denied to board by Air India. So you didn't ask anything about online classes? Thanks.
Not yet. I'll call them again when I'm registered for classes. If international students are not allowed to enter Canada, there is no point for them to register for classes this semester. It's not worth the tuition, not mentioning that colleges and unis are charging more bcz of what they called "online fee." Provinces like PEI or MB are on Phase 2/3 of recovery, and many services/businesses are opening. There are other things that students can be involved/join atm

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
BTW, i read Ontario was starting in person classes for essential trades for students about to graduate with practical courses from early July. They it will be a base for fall intake. Maybe, there is still hope.

https://news.ontario.ca/opo/en/2020/06/ontario-unveils-a-plan-to-reopen-postsecondary-education.html
Yes, many in-person classes may still be operated, but these are mostly for certain majors. Since I'm majoring in Business, it is expected that all courses are online.

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
Where are you from? Don't bother with Air India. They are the worst.

Hi! I'm from India.

But there's no other airline apart from Air India that flies to Canada right?

So if we have to book a flight, it will have to be with Air India, isn't it?

Though I get what you're saying - I have been reading here that they don't understand the exemption rules and are denying boarding even if the student is eligible and exempt...

Dafaqisgoingon

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
Hi! I'm from India.

But there's no other airline apart from Air India that flies to Canada right?

So if we have to book a flight, it will have to be with Air India, isn't it?

Though I get what you're saying - I have been reading here that they don't understand the exemption rules and are denying boarding even if the student is eligible and exempt...
Since you are from India, you should follow Aviation minister on twitter and see the whole drama been going on. You can probably understand it.

For those who can't understand the language. The official pretty much said "I am not answerable to you" and they are somehow using whatsapp to check who is allowed.

Blema

Star Member
Nov 9, 2018

They are turining back people who are come to Canada for fall session in June/July. You have nothing to do there that early. She specifically asked me what month I’m coming in and I said August. And she said provided your courses have been registered and your visa was granted before March 18, you would be allowed to enter. What I don’t understand is people traveling to Canada in June/July. That makes your travel non essential.

Reactions: vhptanh@97

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
They are turining back people who are come to Canada for fall session in June/July. You have nothing to do there that early. She specifically asked me what month I’m coming in and I said August. And she said provided your courses have been registered and your visa was granted before March 18, you would be allowed to enter. What I don’t understand is people traveling to Canada in June/July. That makes your travel non essential.
Thanks for your clarification. I got it now.

Dafaqisgoingon

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
That's fine actually. I won't be traveling right now.
That's great if they allow Fall students in August. But many of these people have already started May intake and currently on online classes and are approaching their 50% soon because of 1 year courses.

Dafaqisgoingon

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
Also, what's the scenario with your classes? Will they be online? Or hybrid? Thanks.

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
That's fine actually. I won't be traveling right now.

That's great if they allow Fall students in August. But many of these people have already started May intake and currently on online classes and are approaching their 50% soon because of 1 year courses.
Then I should be worrying now since I'll travel in early July. I actually didn't count the time I spent for quarantine, that's why I booked the ticket so early. In the worst-case scenario, I might be quarantined longer if I show signs of the virus. I mean after all there are no specific guidelines regards how early you should travel to Canada for studies. People need time to settle down, and everyone's case is different. My sister used to spend a whole month just to find a good apartment to stay and do all the paperwork. Phone, credit card, etc. now everything takes longer bcz of covid.

Blema

Star Member
Nov 9, 2018
Also, what's the scenario with your classes? Will they be online? Or hybrid? Thanks.
My classes are online but I’m not planning to have them in my home country because of time differences, data consumption and network issues. I was approved in 2019 so it’s by August I should be leaving.

Dafaqisgoingon

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
Gr
My classes are online but I’m not planning to have them in my home country because of time differences, data consumption and network issues. I was approved in 2019 so it’s by August I should be leaving.
Great! If you don't mind me asking which country will you be flying from and which airlines? Thanks.