+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Students (approved before 18) need an 'essential' reason to travel to Canada.

Dafaqisgoingon

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
That is correct as of right now, study is considered essential.
I guess there are some rumors going around that online study will be considered non essential & you wont be able to travel even if you got the permit before 18th March but there is no such official confirmation now.
Yes, studies are considered essential. Even CBSA was tweeting about that 'Work and Study' as one of the first essential reasons to enter Canada. I am just afraid they changed their criteria and added essential reason to travel. Hoping for the best.

Reactions: GradStudent18

Blema

Star Member
Nov 9, 2018
I just spoke to an agent at CBS and she confirmed that international students who have gotten their visas before 18 March wouldn’t be refused entry provided you have a place to quarantine for two weeks and have registered for your courses. So you can travel.

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
I just spoke to an agent at CBS and she confirmed that international students who have gotten their visas before 18 March wouldn’t be refused entry provided you have a place to quarantine for two weeks and have registered for your courses. So you can travel.
Hi. Thanks so much for this information. So as long as we're registered for classes and have visa before March 18 we'll be fine. Did she mention anything about online courses or it's still a case-by-case assessment?

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
A friend was told about not traveling to Canada by CBSA if classes are online. I recommend the ones who have Booked their tickets to confirm it themselves by calling CBSA. This applies to first time fliers. Verify it again if anyone needs to and reply back if some other info is received.
It seems like even CBSA is also inconsistent within their own department. Really confusing. I have come across some posts on Twitter saying that the students are denied entry and boarding, but there are also replies saying that the students got in. Not really related to this but I remember reading an article about this student who was denied entry by CBSA but then she tried and got admitted a day after, of course, by a different officer.

Reactions: GradStudent18

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
It seems like even CBSA is also inconsistent within their own department. Really confusing. I have come across some posts on Twitter saying that the students are denied entry and boarding, but there are also replies saying that the students got in. Not really related to this but I remember reading an article about this student who was denied entry by CBSA but then she tried and got admitted a day after, of course, by a different officer.
Again dont confuse border entry with flight
entry, different rules, no one is being denied entry flying in under exemption.
Flights are an airline issue.

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
Thanks again. Do you know first time fliers who got in recently?
@vhptanh@97 hey, in case CBSA is okay with us entering and it's the airlines generally that cause a problem, which airlines are you considering in that case?

I currently am looking at Air India, but seems they're not understanding the exemption rules...

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
@vhptanh@97 hey, in case CBSA is okay with us entering and it's the airlines generally that cause a problem, which airlines are you considering in that case?

I currently am looking at Air India, but seems they're not understanding the exemption rules...
I already booked with Delta since I'll fly from USA (I'm not a US citizen, just foreign national). I actually booked Airbnb for quarantine and arranged everything.

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
Hi. I just called CBSA and the agent told me that she can't confirm that I would be allowed to enter. That would always be the decision made by the border officer and I have to convince them that I traveled to Canada for an "essential" purpose. When I asked whether studies at the moment would be considered as "essential," she told me that it depends since colleges and universities are closing now and those who want to travel now (in June) may not be able to explain why they are traveling 2 months prior to studies.

fatimajill

Mar 8, 2019
Hi. I just called CBSA and the agent told me that she can't confirm that I would be allowed to enter. That would always be the decision made by the border officer and I have to convince them that I traveled to Canada for an "essential" purpose. When I asked whether studies at the moment would be considered as "essential," she told me that it depends since colleges and universities are closing now and those who want to travel now (in June) may not be able to explain why they are traveling 2 months prior to studies.
Fair enough. I agree, even if students have online classes there isn't possibly any reason to travel two months prior to one's course in the middle of a pandemic.
However, what we need to know is whether online classes is an 'essential' reason to travel when the time is right.
I suppose the reason we haven't received a clear answer yet is because no one knows how the situation might turn out for fall term. I think the IRCC is trying to stabilize the corona virus situation by then but cant promise anything.
I guess we have to wait and see how everything turns out in time

Dafaqisgoingon

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
Seems like nobody knows because IRCC hasn't published proper guidelines for International Students and what would be considered essential. We just need to be optimistic that this virus is mitigated to the point that Uni/Colleges can start in person classes. But, seeing the plans of Unis/colleges for fall 2020, its still in the air about in person classes.....

Reactions: Zarak ali

Bbngeorge

Star Member
May 20, 2020
Hi
Hi bro, one simple doubt. What about those students who got study permit after march 18 for fall intake. I couldn't get answer from anyone. Can u please share your thoughts.