+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International student with family application

rbnmarquez

Dec 2, 2020
Hi guys! I've been reading this forum for the past 2 months and I really appreciate all the knowledge that I have acquired here.
Let me tell you my story; I'm from Nicaragua, married, we have a 3 yo kid and my wife is applying for a study permit, she is currently finishing university here and will be done next year 2 months before her program starts (Diploma in Business Sales & Marketing in Niagara College and EAP for at least 1 year). I'm gonna pay all the expenses for my family, everything and I applied for my wife SP, Open work permit for me and visitor for my kid., will explain a little bit of my background below.

I'm 34 and my wife 23, we have been married for 3.5 years now. She is finishing university, I'm Computer Engineer. I'm cofounder of a web design agency in my country since 2015 and work full time remotely for an American company earning 42k USD at year since July 2019 (I sent employment letter) and do freelance work in upwork.com for at least 2k monthly. We own a house here and my agency pays me a monthly salary for $500 in order for me to pay taxes and healthcare that covers me and my family. I sent all the support for everything that I said before and an explanation letter why I'm sponsoring my wife; specially cause we plan to open a digital marketing department at my company and we plan to make my wife the lead team with the experience that she is gonna get on her Canada studies and work experience to bring all that knowledge to the company and increase our client portfolio internationally, that's the main purpose of travel, also I explained how important is for my kid to learn English on a Canadian school and for me is going to be a great opportunity to improve my English skills that is really important for my career. Basically a win win situation for us as a family and business plan. She also send a letter explaining how important is for her professional profile to study on a Canadian institution and learn English on that level immediately after finishing university here.

My questions are these; I sent a bank statement with 24k CAD, but the money was not there the whole 3 or 4 months, I move most of the money to other accounts during the months and it was gradually increasing to 24k CAD on last 2 months, part of the money was sent from my other accounts and payments that I received stayed there for past 2 months. But in the bank statement there was reflected at least 40k USD on movements in that amount of time (that's the reason why I used that account) I receive all the payments in that account but the money doesn't stay there cause I use that only for international income, but then I transfer the money or get cash. I thought it was a better idea to show this account since it has a lot of income and is the account that my company and freelance projects pay me. But I'm not entirely sure if there will be an issue with the minimum amount not been there for the entirely time frame.
Another important information is that I applied for a visitor visa for my wife and kid (they 2 alone) to travel with me back in 2018 and it was rejected. I traveled alone in that occasion :(

I helped my wife to gather all the documents and together we send the application on Oct 26, receive Biometrics letter on Oct 28 and send Biometrics on Dec 1. Her EAP program starts on May (we are a bit tight on time). Can you be kind enough to answer my question and tell me if we have any chances of been approved? Does the record of visa denial back in 2018 is gonna impact negatively in our application?

Note: I have a visitor visa to enter Canada, I've been in Toronto several times before for conferences and client meetings.

Thank you in advance. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Last edited:

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
It needs to be clear from your application that she is coming temporarily to study (not work or stay permanently), and that you and your kids are also not seeking to permanently settle in Canada and will only be there temporarily with her. If they think you're trying to relocate your business full-time to Canada and not leave, that's when you will run into problems.

rbnmarquez

Dec 2, 2020
It needs to be clear from your application that she is coming temporarily to study (not work or stay permanently), and that you and your kids are also not seeking to permanently settle in Canada and will only be there temporarily with her. If they think you're trying to relocate your business full-time to Canada and not leave, that's when you will run into problems.
Thanks for the reply, yeah I tried to be totally clear on the LOE that we wanted to bring all her knowledge and experience back and apply it to my company to make the business grow, increase our portfolio of clients and generate job opportunities on my country , also I explained that my only intention with my kid is for him to learn English in the possible 3 years of my wife's programs. We have enough materials ties in our country to come back (house, cars and a company) but we want to make this travel as a family project :) I hope I was that clear when I submitted the application.