+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International student who received an employment contract in a restaurant

kiarap

Mar 6, 2018
hi! i am an international student taking up continuing care assistant in a community college in halifax. i work as a part time in a restaurant in our area. they have known that i am soon be resigning as i am near graduation. they offered me an employment contract instead. i dont want to work as a cca, that's why i am thinking of getting the employment opportunity. will it affect my work permit application? please reply plsss.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi! Nope, a work permit itself. Can I apply right now? It's not a PGWP. Thank you!!
Does your employer have an approved LMIA?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
They will apply soon. If i accept their job offer. Will it affect my application for work permit?
Your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA before you can apply for a closed work permit. The LMIA process can easily take 4-6 months to complete. To be approved, the employer will need to demonstrate that they have advertised the job according to the LMIA advertising rules and were unable to find a Canadian for the role.

kiarap

Mar 6, 2018
Your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA before you can apply for a closed work permit. The LMIA process can easily take 4-6 months to complete. To be approved, the employer will need to demonstrate that they have advertised the job according to the LMIA advertising rules and were unable to find a Canadian for the role.
Thanks for the reply. But I am worried because I am a CCA student and that might affect the application. U think?

kiarap

Mar 6, 2018
I am already graduating but still undecided. I don't want to study anymore. I finished 4 year course in college back home. And I am almost finish with CC. I just want to work, but not as a CCA. Do u think being a cca student can affect my application? U see, the work is not related.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
After graduation apply for a PGWP. Then you will get an open work permit, that does not need an LMIA. To be honest, an employer will not get an LMIA for a restaurant worker. So this is the best way forward for you in my opinion.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
After graduation apply for a PGWP. Then you will get an open work permit, that does not need an LMIA. To be honest, an employer will not get an LMIA for a restaurant worker. So this is the best way forward for you in my opinion.
Agreed. If you have finished your studies in Canada - then apply for a PGWP. Make sure you apply within 90 days of completing your program.

kiarap

Mar 6, 2018
Thanks a lot sir for your reply. I have known the PGWP. But I just want to have a working visa as pgwp would cost me more time and effort. And as you can see, my study took 10 months. Pgwp will give me the same number of months to work. Am I right? That's based from my reading. I was just thinking if I can accept the supervisory position for a work permit. But I'm just worried that my program will affect my application for the work permit. :)

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
You won't get an LMIA for a restaurant worker would be better to get the pgwp. You can work when you have applied, that will give you the open WORK permit. It is far less effort than wasting your Time and money going for lmia

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thanks a lot sir for your reply. I have known the PGWP. But I just want to have a working visa as pgwp would cost me more time and effort. And as you can see, my study took 10 months. Pgwp will give me the same number of months to work. Am I right? That's based from my reading. I was just thinking if I can accept the supervisory position for a work permit. But I'm just worried that my program will affect my application for the work permit. :)
As others have said go for a PGWP given as soon as you apply you are on implied status pending a decision and can start working wherever you want. This will give you the time you need to sort something out either the LMIA which is still unlikely to be approved or one of the PR programs.

Reactions: russ6970