+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

international student wants to bring his girlfriend and get married from canada

vickyvv1

Jan 5, 2014
hi
i am an international student and i want to bring my girl friend to toronto and we are planning to get married from here.i need to know whether she will she be able to work here in canada?if yes how long will it take to get her permit when she comes in with a visit visa and get married?and what is the best way to bring her here as soon as possible which also enables her to work here.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
After you get married and have your marriage certificate, you can apply for her open work permit based on your study permit. If you apply online, it looks like it may only take 17 days, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp

She can not start working until she gets the work permit.

Rocky_bombastic

Star Member
Jan 15, 2014
Regina-SK
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17th May '13
Doc's Request.
25th Nov '13
Nomination.....
11th Oct '13
AOR Received.
29th Dec '13 ( ECAS update to Application recieved on 12th Nov '13)
File Transfer...
RPRF request 15-May-2014
Med's Request
30th Dec '13
Med's Done....
07th Jan '14
Interview........
IN PROCESS ---> 2nd June '14. --- Decision made---> 23rd June '14
Passport Req..
July 3rd 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 15th 2014
LANDED..........
18th July 2014---> PR card received Sep 8th 2014
vickyvv1 said:
hi
i am an international student and i want to bring my girl friend to toronto and we are planning to get married from here.i need to know whether she will she be able to work here in canada?if yes how long will it take to get her permit when she comes in with a visit visa and get married?and what is the best way to bring her here as soon as possible which also enables her to work here.
You will have to bring her in Canada first. She can apply as a tourist visa and once she is here if you get married and only after then you can apply for here work visa. Or alternatively you can get married at your home country and then apply for Spouse Visa.

sujeeth

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Visa Office......
Delhi chc
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 12th -2013
AOR Received.
june 13 th-2013
Med's Request
may 12th -2013
Med's Done....
may 13th-2013
Interview........
NO
VISA ISSUED...
june 25th
LANDED..........
aug 22
Well i have the same question too im international student and i have 2 years of study ,just here for 6 months i,n summer break im planing to go to india and get married

So how can i get her here ?
i need some clear information :)

Gogia

Feb 19, 2013
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i think what leon said above is the way to bring your lovely bridegroom.to.canada

ozzyess

Star Member
Oct 21, 2019
Hello friends.
Do the reponses already given on the topic still apply today?
My agent has told me that it is best to marry before getting the student visa. But as my girlfriend is from other country, it seems like we will be able to do it in Canada.
Thanks guys!

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hello friends.
Do the reponses already given on the topic still apply today?
My agent has told me that it is best to marry before getting the student visa. But as my girlfriend is from other country, it seems like we will be able to do it in Canada.
Thanks guys!
Your agent is right. Your girlfriend cannot enter Canada with the current travel restrictions.

ozzyess

Star Member
Oct 21, 2019
Your agent is right. Your girlfriend cannot enter Canada with the current travel restrictions.
Thank you a lot for your answer.
But let's assume that she manages to enter Canada with a tourist visa. Can we get married in Ontario while I am on student visa and then can she apply for the open work permit without issues?
Thanks again

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
But let's assume that she manages to enter Canada with a tourist visa. Can we get married in Ontario while I am on student visa and then can she apply for the open work permit without issues?
Thanks again
OWP are never guaranteed for spouses of international students.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks again
You can certainly get married.

However she won't be able to enter Canada right now due to COVID-19 travel restrictions. She will need to wait until the travel restrictions have lifted. The only exception would be if she is able to get to the U.S. and then enter Canada through a land border.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can certainly get married.

However she won't be able to enter Canada right now due to COVID-19 travel restrictions. She will need to wait until the travel restrictions have lifted. The only exception would be if she is able to get to the U.S. and then enter Canada through a land border.
He is an international student so his wife wouldn’t qualify to enter at the US border with the current travel restrictions.

ozzyess

Star Member
Oct 21, 2019
I appreciate your answers folks.
I just want to make sure that she is qualified to get the owp, assuming that she enters canada on a tourist visa while I am on my student visa and we get married in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I appreciate your answers folks.
I just want to make sure that she is qualified to get the owp, assuming that she enters canada on a tourist visa while I am on my student visa and we get married in Canada.
Yes - she is qualified.

Reactions: ozzyess