+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Student needs help with Immigration information.pls help

loshba

May 30, 2010
Hi everyone,

I just came across this website, and immediately registered hoping that someone here would be able to give me a few answers.

I am an south-east Asian, 23yrs of age, planning to go to Canada to do an Animation/Visual Effects program. But also with the intention of getting/applying for my PR if possible, cos I really wouldn't want to return back to my homeland, as there are better scopes for an animator in Canada than in south-east Asia.

I am considering the following...

1. Enrolling on a one year (or maybe a 2-year) Animation / Visual Effects diploma at a College.
2. Upon completion, apply for a "Post-Graduation work permit", which could probably land me between 1-2yrs of
employment depending on the duration of the diploma course i initially enrolled myself in.
3. Then later apply for Permanent Residence

I would like to know if my current plan above is possible?

I also have the following doubts,

4. a few websites say that in order to apply for "post-graduation work permit" i should have completed a minimum of 2
years full-time studies, while other websites say that a minimum of 8-months is what's required.
Any of you guys happen to know which of the above is true, cos if a 8month diploma is what's required, then id rather
enroll myself in 1 year diploma instead of a 2 year diploma.

5. "Successful completion of a college/uni graduation is required to apply for a Post-graduate work permit". Does this
mean the study programe has to be a Degree? or is a completion of a certificate/diploma itself enough.

And my last and biggest worry is..

6. If I am to apply for "Skilled Worker / Professional Immigration / Canadian Experience Class", does an
Animation/Multi-media/visual effects Diploma or Degree fall into any of the above 3 categories?

Because Canadian Experience Class / Skilled worker don't seem to have Animation/Multi-media/visual effects
professionals in their list for immigration.

I know that alota questions have been asked, but id be really very grateful if someone can gimme ur suggestions/advise on the above.

Thanks in million in advance,

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

loshba said:
Hi everyone,

I just came across this website, and immediately registered hoping that someone here would be able to give me a few answers.

I am an south-east Asian, 23yrs of age, planning to go to Canada to do an Animation/Visual Effects program. But also with the intention of getting/applying for my PR if possible, cos I really wouldn't want to return back to my homeland, as there are better scopes for an animator in Canada than in south-east Asia.

I am considering the following...

1. Enrolling on a one year (or maybe a 2-year) Animation / Visual Effects diploma at a College.
2. Upon completion, apply for a "Post-Graduation work permit", which could probably land me between 1-2yrs of
employment depending on the duration of the diploma course i initially enrolled myself in.
3. Then later apply for Permanent Residence

I would like to know if my current plan above is possible?

I also have the following doubts,

4. a few websites say that in order to apply for "post-graduation work permit" i should have completed a minimum of 2
years full-time studies, while other websites say that a minimum of 8-months is what's required.
Any of you guys happen to know which of the above is true, cos if a 8month diploma is what's required, then id rather
enroll myself in 1 year diploma instead of a 2 year diploma.

5. "Successful completion of a college/uni graduation is required to apply for a Post-graduate work permit". Does this
mean the study programe has to be a Degree? or is a completion of a certificate/diploma itself enough.

And my last and biggest worry is..

6. If I am to apply for "Skilled Worker / Professional Immigration / Canadian Experience Class", does an
Animation/Multi-media/visual effects Diploma or Degree fall into any of the above 3 categories?

Because Canadian Experience Class / Skilled worker don't seem to have Animation/Multi-media/visual effects
professionals in their list for immigration.

I know that alota questions have been asked, but id be really very grateful if someone can gimme ur suggestions/advise on the above.

Thanks in million in advance,
1. For a PGWP the school must meet the following criteria for the WP to be issued.

In addition, you must have graduated from:

* a public post-secondary institution, such as a college, trade/technical school, university or CEGEP (in Quebec), or
* a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions, and receives at least 50 percent of its financing for its overall operations from government grants (currently only private college-level educational institutions in Quebec qualify), or
* Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees but only if you are enrolled in one of the programs of study leading to a degree as authorized by the province and not in all programs of study offered by the private institution.

2. The PGWP is issued for the following length of time

Less than eight months you are not eligible for this program
Less than two years but more than eight months ,you may get a work permit for a period no longer than the length of time you studied (for example, if you studied for nine months, a work permit may be issued for a period of nine months)
two years or more a work permit may be issued for three years

3. To apply under CEC, you would have to have worked in a job that is level A,B or O of the NOC. An Animator is NOC 5241 which is skill level B.