+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International student health insurance

Orostacus

Sep 18, 2018
Hi, as the title says I'm on an international student insurance plan. Last month I had an accident (almost concussion) and I had to go to the emergency room. I had to wait 7 hrs to finally see a doctor, and when he finally attended me he said I was fine and that I should take a tetanus shot just in case.. All this happened in no more than 8 minutes. The thing is that I received a bill in my home country of $895cad for the service. Is that right? And if it is, did my insurance covered that? I really don't know how those things work.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, as the title says I'm on an international student insurance plan. Last month I had an accident (almost concussion) and I had to go to the emergency room. I had to wait 7 hrs to finally see a doctor, and when he finally attended me he said I was fine and that I should take a tetanus shot just in case.. All this happened in no more than 8 minutes. The thing is that I received a bill in my home country of $895cad for the service. Is that right? And if it is, did my insurance covered that? I really don't know how those things work.
Have you looked at your policy through your school? Yes that would be right for an ER visit. Why did you give you home country address? You should have given your Canadian address.

Orostacus

Sep 18, 2018
http://international.nscc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Health-Insurance-Internation-workshop-presentation.pdf

Was able to find this easily with a google search. You likely have a card already. I would work to arrange payment as soon as possible and would also never put your international address on documents related to your stay in Canada.
Well in the hospital they asked for my Canadian address and home country address too.... So no idea rly. What i want to know is if my health insurance covers some of the debt.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Well in the hospital they asked for my Canadian address and home country address too.... So no idea rly. What i want to know is if my health insurance covers some of the debt.
Did you look at the attachment? It is up to you to read up on your plan and see if 100% is covered and whether you already have received a healthcard. If you are still having trouble figuring it out contact the coordinator listed. Simple google searches should give you answers.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Which school are you in and which plan are you on? ER visit would be covered if you actually have health insurance, so contact your insurance provider for their procedure.

Reactions: Orostacus

Orostacus

Sep 18, 2018
Which school are you in and which plan are you on? ER visit would be covered if you actually have health insurance, so contact your insurance provider for their procedure.
Nscc, yeah i think that's my best bet for now. Thanks for the help!

Orostacus

Sep 18, 2018
Did you look at the attachment? It is up to you to read up on your plan and see if 100% is covered and whether you already have received a healthcard. If you are still having trouble figuring it out contact the coordinator listed. Simple google searches should give you answers.
I looked at it. It seems that im covered i guess... Im going to call the insurance company and see how the procedure for coverage goes. Thanks brother

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I looked at it. It seems that im covered i guess... Im going to call the insurance company and see how the procedure for coverage goes. Thanks brother
There is actual email address to use and a benefit office on your campus. Those are much better people to contact versus calling up a large insurance company with no contact name. I also assume you must have received information about your program and maybe even a card in your orientation package. I would look through all the information you were given when you started school.

This is Canada so you can’t assume you are speaking to a man. A simple thanks with no brother is probably best to start using.