+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

international student giving birth

roland27

Jun 3, 2014
:)
Hi I am an international student this year and I have already got my visa. My husband is coming with me. My question is, if I plan on getting pregnant in Canada, will the baby get Canadian citizenship? (I am over 30 and I want a baby)

Also, I have two offers, a phd in Education and a master in linguistics (both with no scholarships). Which one do you think will be less pressure while having babies?
(I thought phd might be better since there won't be many courses and time is flexible, but its too expensive and longer time for me to be eligible to apply for PR).

Do you think it's a good idea to do a college degree/diploma while having children? It's easier to find jobs but I'm still concerned the courses are too stressful...

Reactions: benygod2

arthur_777

May 31, 2014
According to my knowledge -

Kid will inherit the status of parents. i.e.

1)If you are visa holder,your kid also need a visa
2)If you have PR,your kid always becomes a PR
3)If you are a citizen,your kid also becomes a citizen .

Canadian citizenship can't be acquired by birth only(unlike USA).

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

roland27 said:
Hi I am an international student this year and I have already got my visa. My husband is coming with me. My question is, if I plan on getting pregnant in Canada, will the baby get Canadian citizenship? (I am over 30 and I want a baby)

Also, I have two offers, a phd in Education and a master in linguistics (both with no scholarships). Which one do you think will be less pressure while having babies?
(I thought phd might be better since there won't be many courses and time is flexible, but its too expensive and longer time for me to be eligible to apply for PR).

Do you think it's a good idea to do a college degree/diploma while having children? It's easier to find jobs but I'm still concerned the courses are too stressful...

Baby get Canadian citizenship if born in Canada but not Parents.

hfaraz

May 4, 2014
roland27 can you please tell me what visa did your husband apply for? and did he apply with you?

A.G.Pennypacker

Star Member
Jun 3, 2014
Having a baby in Canada is not a good idea if you're an international student because:
A. If you don't have prov health coverage (or excellent private coverage) it costs $10,000 - I think.
B. Your university will provide updates regarding your academic progress to CIC twice a year. If you take an unscheduled break from your studies to tend to your child or you fall behind you may be asked to leave Canada.
C. The Canadian healthcare system is completely overwhelmed.
D. I don't believe your child will receive CDN nationality.

A.G.Pennypacker

Star Member
Jun 3, 2014
Sorry, quick correction... your child would receive citizenship however the CDN government is thinking about changing this rule due to abuse by foreign nationals. Google "birth tourism Canada".

And pls remember... to stay in Canada as an International student you must "actively pursue" your academic program or you risk being deported. Having a child won't exempt you from this rule.

Doda

May 20, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://www.cic.gc.ca/enGlIsH/citizenship/rules/index.asp

Yes it will be a Canadian citizen.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
arthur_777 said:
According to my knowledge -

Kid will inherit the status of parents. i.e.

1)If you are visa holder,your kid also need a visa
2)If you have PR,your kid always becomes a PR
3)If you are a citizen,your kid also becomes a citizen .

Canadian citizenship can't be acquired by birth only(unlike USA).
This is 100% wrong. Baby will be a Canadian citizen.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
roland27 said:

I think your plan is easier with a PhD program -- these are less structured than masters programs, and it's normal for women in them to have children. However, you want to choose a good program, one that offers you a chance of doing what you want with it later on. All PhD programs are not equal -- where have you been admitted, and what do you want to do when you finish?

A masters program is normally 1-2 years, which means that a pregnancy would eat up a potentially significant amount of time with possible morning sickness, ennervation, and then of course the end of it and the arrival of the little ball and chain . . . It also depends on what you want to do with the degree: if it is apply to a Canadian PhD program while applying for PR as well, that might be an excellent plan. A linguistics PhD would normally offer you a tuition waiver and a TAship to support yourself; an education PhD is less likely to do this, as it is a professional degree.

You want to check on your province's health care package, whether it covers international students exactly as it does locals. If so, then there are no insurance concerns around giving birth. You should also check and see if your baby could be a dual citizen of your country -- it could turn out awkward if they are not . . . Good luck!

meagan99

May 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-06-2014 (paper based through VFS)
Med's Done....
upfront medical (~15 days before applying)
Passport Req..
sent with application
VISA ISSUED...
01-07-2014
roland27 said:
I plan on getting pregnant in Canada, will the baby get Canadian citizenship?
really are you kidding me! getting pregnant for canadian citizenship.

buckle up canadian nationality aspirants, competition is hard. it has come down to child births here.

religions will get started soon with this sole purpose. ??? (like kopimism religion promotes copying sftwre)

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
Like others have said

If you have a baby in Canada it wil get Canadian citizenship at birth. This however will do nothing immigration wise for you or your husband. Under current rules, your child will be able to sponsor you after they reach the age of 21 (and have had stable employment income IN Canada for a few years)....

roland27

Jun 3, 2014
:D :D :D
Thank you guys~~~
to clear things up, I do not rely on the child to get me citizenship. My husband and I have been trying to have children for two years. I just want a child. We also wanted to immigrate to Canada, to study there is a good opportunity. It's just if the baby gets Canadian citizenship it's easier for us to raise it in Canada.

about the fees...one school provides UHIP one provides OHIP-equivalent insurance...so I don't think that's a problem.

I checked up with the faculty. For masters I need to finish courses for the first year and during second year, there will be independent study and research paper, I can just finish it by myself, schedule is flexible. For PhD, I never did that and I have no idea how that proceeds...there are no scholarships, so I might need to do RA for my supervisor.

Any more idea which program I should go in???

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
roland27 said:
:D :D :D
Thank you guys~~~
to clear things up, I do not rely on the child to get me citizenship. My husband and I have been trying to have children for two years. I just want a child. We also wanted to immigrate to Canada, to study there is a good opportunity. It's just if the baby gets Canadian citizenship it's easier for us to raise it in Canada.

about the fees...one school provides UHIP one provides OHIP-equivalent insurance...so I don't think that's a problem.

I checked up with the faculty. For masters I need to finish courses for the first year and during second year, there will be independent study and research paper, I can just finish it by myself, schedule is flexible. For PhD, I never did that and I have no idea how that proceeds...there are no scholarships, so I might need to do RA for my supervisor.

Any more idea which program I should go in???
It's impossible to say, because your two degree programs are very different: one is a professional degree, where the prestige of the department and the school are not very important, the other is an academic subject that may not be very useful by itself, and where your ability to continue will depend partly on the reputation of the department/school. The PhD in education would probably make you eligible for many jobs right away; but it might also make you overqualified for entry-level positions in your field. The MA in linguistics might make you eligible for no jobs, or very few, and those that you could apply for might not require it, or might consider you overqualified and under-experienced. If the MA is in a field that teaches English, and you are not a native speaker, it might be useless professionally in Canada. If you want to be an academic, the masters is probably a better bet; you'd have two years to do research and publish and prepare yourself for a PhD. If you want to be an administrator, the PhD is probably a better bet.

roland27

Jun 3, 2014
on-hold said:
It's impossible to say, because your two degree programs are very different: one is a professional degree, where the prestige of the department and the school are not very important, the other is an academic subject that may not be very useful by itself, and where your ability to continue will depend partly on the reputation of the department/school. The PhD in education would probably make you eligible for many jobs right away; but it might also make you overqualified for entry-level positions in your field. The MA in linguistics might make you eligible for no jobs, or very few, and those that you could apply for might not require it, or might consider you overqualified and under-experienced. If the MA is in a field that teaches English, and you are not a native speaker, it might be useless professionally in Canada. If you want to be an academic, the masters is probably a better bet; you'd have two years to do research and publish and prepare yourself for a PhD. If you want to be an administrator, the PhD is probably a better bet.
Thank you so much for your replies. Actually I don't care what these degrees would get me into. My purpose is just to be eligible to apply for PR asap (while might be flexible-scheduled to have a baby). Then I plan to get a college degree/diploma with student loan. I just want to know which degree MA or PhD, will be a better choice if I am pregnant? I am over 30 and I really want my first child! I know getting a degree and having baby together sound crazy but things just happen, it would be perfect if I find a balance.

Reactions: benygod2 and YongK