+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International student buying a condo

marisha

Apr 17, 2009
Hey,
I am 20 and i study in Toronto.My parents want to buy a condo here and they are wondering if i am eligible to buy a property and do the all paperwork by myself.Do i have to be 21 or it doesnt matter here?

haver

May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tax issue.

I beleive you are allowed to buy but.
- 35% of property value will be necessary as downpayment.

When you decide to sell a real estate company should withhold 25% of property value (at the time of selling)
and keep it for one year to pay Capital Gain taxes (provided you are not Canadian permanent resident).
So be aware before such movement.

rascojenkins

Jul 25, 2008
marisha said:
Hey,
I am 20 and i study in Toronto.My parents want to buy a condo here and they are wondering if i am eligible to buy a property and do the all paperwork by myself.Do i have to be 21 or it doesnt matter here?
Your parents most have alot of money.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I can not tell you how real estate works in Ontario because I have only bought in AB but in AB, you would normally get a real estate agent who will look for places for you and go with you to look at them. If you want to make an offer, your agent will talk to the agent of the seller and they will figure out the offers and counter offers. I have heard 25% as a down payment for a non-resident but you would have to talk to your bank or a mortgage broker to figure that out. For some of the paperwork I needed a lawyer as well. If you want to save yourself the fees, you can skip the agent and lawyer and buy yourself through comfree or something but then you need to investigate what you have to do exactly to fill everything out correctly.

Reactions: Uti

sup2009

Jul 10, 2009
I am a realtor in the Greator Toronto Area and i would like the opportunity to try to help you.

In ontario you need to be the age of majority in order to sign a contract. In Ontario you need to be 19 years old for this.

For more information on the home buying system in Toronto, Ontario please go to my website www.supegui.com.

Best of luck and welcome to Canada

Steve

mkp

Oct 13, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Every country has their own laws regarding the foreign residents. They may include people who have come for job, students who are studying there and different type of people. Some people may stay back and some may leave after a specific time. Buying a land property in a foreign country could be an uphill task because some places won’t allow such thing. But in Toronto there is no such law. Only requirement is that 25% of the payment should be paid as down payment.

haver

May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I beleive that for foreigners to buy a property in Canada the requirement is 35% downpayment.

gaur9786

Star Member
Sep 14, 2012
HI Everyone,

I would like to put some queries regarding buying the residential and commercial properties in canada either under student visa or work permit.

1. Can an international student over 21 yrs of age buy any kind of property in Canada ?

2. Is there any restriction in buying the commercial property under student visa for an international student ?

3. Is there any restriction, different city or state wise, for buying or selling the property ?

4. If a non-Canadian can buy the residential or commercial property then, under the following cases what implication he has to face ?

a. Can he apply for a loan in Canada for buying the property or he has to take loan from his home country ?
b. If he gets a loan from Canadian bank and after a yr or so he leaves the country due to any circumstances then what can be the problems which he has to face regarding the rights of the property or how the bank gonna treat this situation, etc. ?
c. Will he get the visa in future after leaving Canada to his home country on the basis of his property over there ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gaur9786 said:
1. Can an international student over 21 yrs of age buy any kind of property in Canada ?

Yes, if he can afford it

2. Is there any restriction in buying the commercial property under student visa for an international student ?

Some provinces may have restrictions, see http://www.assignmentscanada.ca/buyingincanada.html for example

3. Is there any restriction, different city or state wise, for buying or selling the property ?

Also according to the link above, there can be some taxes when you sell the property if you are not a resident in Canada

4. If a non-Canadian can buy the residential or commercial property then, under the following cases what implication he has to face ?

a. Can he apply for a loan in Canada for buying the property or he has to take loan from his home country ?

He can apply but with no credit in Canada and no steady job, it may be hard for him to find somebody who will loan him the money. However, the more money he has for down payment, the easier to get a loan for the rest, of course secured by the property.

b. If he gets a loan from Canadian bank and after a yr or so he leaves the country due to any circumstances then what can be the problems which he has to face regarding the rights of the property or how the bank gonna treat this situation, etc. ?

If you get a mortgage to buy a property and you stop making payments whether you are in Canada or not, the bank will take your property from you and auction it to get their money back. If you leave Canada but keep paying your mortgage, the bank couldn't care less. If you have to leave and can't pay your mortgage any more, you should sell it before you go.

c. Will he get the visa in future after leaving Canada to his home country on the basis of his property over there ?

Having property does not give you any status in Canada and will not make it any easier for you to get a visa in the future.

gaur9786

Star Member
Sep 14, 2012
thx leon...

Suppose the person after buying a house leaves the country and keep paying the installments, can he/she apply visa for over one month on the basis of property over there...here i am not talking about applying for 2 months visa...every year.

Regards,

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gaur9786 said:
thx leon...

Suppose the person after buying a house leaves the country and keep paying the installments, can he/she apply visa for over one month on the basis of property over there...here i am not talking about applying for 2 months visa...every year.

Regards,
Yes everyone can apply for a visa, but there are no guarantee if you would be given one.