+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Student Bringing Partner

RGH80

Feb 13, 2013
Hello,

I'm a UK citizen looking to apply to graduate school in Canada next year (MA, possibly PhD). I'm currently engaged to my partner (same sex, also UK citizen) but we don't currently live together. We spend half the week together in my parent's house, but it is easier at the moment to live with our respective parents as her father is disabled and benefits from her being around to help him (and it allows us to save money).

From what I understand, we wouldn't be considered common-law partners as we don't officially live together (although unofficially we kind of do). But would we be considered conjugal partners? Would that reason for living apart be strong enough? My suspicion is it's not. We can provide plenty of evidence to demonstrate that our relationship is committed and public.

Also, would getting married solve all these problems, even if we continue the current living arrangements? We're planning to, but same-sex marriage is not currently possible in the UK (although it should be soon) and going overseas to get married isn't ideal.

It's still a year or so away, but I'm trying to find any issues and iron them out in advance if I can. We can demonstrate strong ties to the UK because all our family and friends are here, and we own and operate a business together. I just don't want to get accepted onto my dream programme and then find problems with the visas.

Thanks in advance for any help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You don't qualify as conjugal for immigration purposes. Conjugal is for situations where it is impossible for you to get married or become common law by living together for a full year. There is nothing preventing you from living together (the reasons you've listed don't count - they have to be real barriers that make it impossible for both of you to live in the same country).

So the short answer is that conjugal isn't an option for you.

If you want your partner to come with you, then you have three options:

1) Get married
2) Physically live together at the same address for a year before you apply
3) Have your partner qualify separately/independently to come to Canada while you are here studying