+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Student: 1-year Program then apply to CEC

LeonardoTM

Mar 11, 2019
Hello everyone,

I am currently in a one-year program and due to limited funds I was thinking of not pursuing a second program, which in effect would only grant me a 1-year PGWP.

Given this scenario, I wanted to ask the following:
  1. Has anyone done the same and was able to pass the CEC requirements?
  2. What's the timeline I should follow in terms of landing a Full Time job? My program is ending April 2020 and my study permit will expire July 2020.
  3. Can't I just get two Part Time jobs and hit the 1560 target work hours in a year then apply for CEC? Does it really need to be a Full Time job?
  4. What are the best options in order to land a Full Time job? I have over 12 years of Human Resources experience from my home country, MS Office 2016 Master level certification, and a part-time job on campus (e.g. Database Administration)
Appreciate any advice you can give.

Diane Matthie

Feb 28, 2019
Inland
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
12-06-2019
AOR Received.
12-06-2019
LANDED..........
18-09-2021
Hello everyone,

I am currently in a one-year program and due to limited funds I was thinking of not pursuing a second program, which in effect would only grant me a 1-year PGWP.

2. What's the timeline I should follow in terms of landing a Full Time job? My program is ending April 2020 and my study permit will expire July 2020.
  3. Can't I just get two Part Time jobs and hit the 1560 target work hours in a year then apply for CEC? Does it really need to be a Full-Time job?
  4. What are the best options in order to land a Full-Time job? I have over 12 years of Human Resources experience from my home country, MS Office 2016 Master level certification, and a part-time job on campus (e.g. Database Administration)

Hi,

I do understand the financial constraints, but I year permit it cutting really close. Even though your Study Permit expires a little after your program ends, once you got confirmation of completion of your studies you are not allowed to work until you applied for your PGWP.

I think the best thing to do it try and do 2 years, that will give you 3 years to work with or hope you are able to get a full-time job during the time that your PGWP is been processed so give you a little time to be able to hit the one year mark and apply before it expires. Maybe you parttime job during your studies turns into full time after your complete.

Another thing I would look at if there are any PNP programs that you would be qualified during the 1-year work permit period so you could apply for so you have another option.

Reactions: LeonardoTM

LeonardoTM

Mar 11, 2019
Hi,

I do understand the financial constraints, but I year permit it cutting really close. Even though your Study Permit expires a little after your program ends, once you got confirmation of completion of your studies you are not allowed to work until you applied for your PGWP.

I think the best thing to do it try and do 2 years, that will give you 3 years to work with or hope you are able to get a full-time job during the time that your PGWP is been processed so give you a little time to be able to hit the one year mark and apply before it expires. Maybe you parttime job during your studies turns into full time after your complete.

Another thing I would look at if there are any PNP programs that you would be qualified during the 1-year work permit period so you could apply for so you have another option.
Thank you so much for responding, Dianne!

Reactions: Diane Matthie

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hello everyone,

For many people, it takes a few months to find a job, so that few are able to complete 1 year of work experience with only a 1 year work permit.

Even if you are able to get one full year of employment, you would not likely be able to submit a profile, wait for an ITA, and then submit a complete eAPR before your one year work permit expires (where you might become eligible to apply for a bridging open work permit), so you would have to leave Canada until your PR is approved - a lot of people don´t like to do that.

With your background, it may be easier for you to find work, but you would still have the time crunch after qualifying.

1. What's the timeline I should follow in terms of landing a Full Time job? My program is ending April 2020 and my study permit will expire July 2020.
As Diane noted, you cannot work after you receive notice of completion (or graduate, whichever comes first), until you submit your PGWP application. Once you submit the PGWP application, you are permitted to work full time, and the application usually takes a couple of months to process. So, if you had a full-time job lined up before you graduate, the extra couple of months of processing time might make it possible. But many people who try this do not succeed, we see posts on here all the time of people who have just finished their one year but whose work permits are expiring before they can get an ITA and submit their eAPR.
  1. Can't I just get two Part Time jobs and hit the 1560 target work hours in a year then apply for CEC? Does it really need to be a Full Time job?
It does not need to be full full-time, you can certainly work one or more part-time jobs (provided they are a skilled NOC), but if you work two jobs simultaneously, you should know that you cannot count more than 30 hours per week. For example, if you work 20 hours/week at Job A, and 20 hours/week at job B during the same week, it does not give you 40 hours, you can only count 30. So you still need to complete 52 weeks at a minimum, no matter how many hours you work.

optimaxx

Star Member
Aug 27, 2019
NOC Code......
Hello everyone,

3. Can't I just get two Part Time jobs and hit the 1560 target work hours in a year then apply for CEC? Does it really need to be a Full Time job?
  4. What are the best options in order to land a Full Time job? I have over 12 years of Human Resources experience from my home country, MS Office 2016 Master level certification, and a part-time job on campus (e.g. Database Administration)
Yes, it would be better to go for 2 years program. This will allow you with 3 years' work and also with full-time occupation as mentioned already. You can also see if there is any PNP's that you can qualify for PR.

Good luck,

rajdsh07

Star Member
Nov 30, 2020
@jes_ON

I'm in the same boat as you described in 1st point.
I just have one-year WP and in that case, I can only apply for PR through CEC after completing one-year of Canadian experience. Considering all the circumstances, I would get an ITA after my WP gets expired and I would be on a visitor visa. So, can I apply for BOWP through Visitor Visa?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@jes_ON

I'm in the same boat as you described in 1st point.
I just have one-year WP and in that case, I can only apply for PR through CEC after completing one-year of Canadian experience. Considering all the circumstances, I would get an ITA after my WP gets expired and I would be on a visitor visa. So, can I apply for BOWP through Visitor Visa?
No, you can't.

You need to be holding a valid work permit at the time you apply for a BOWP.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your input!
Is there any recommendation I should follow in certain scenarios because of my tight timeframe?
Have you already completed your studies and obtained your PGWP?

If not, take a second program so that you qualify for a 3 year PGWP. That's the best option.

rajdsh07

Star Member
Nov 30, 2020
Have you already completed your studies and obtained your PGWP?

If not, take a second program so that you qualify for a 3 year PGWP. That's the best option.
I wish I could do that but unfortunately, I have obtained one-year PGWP and currently working.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I wish I could do that but unfortunately, I have obtained one-year PGWP and currently working.
How many points will you have once you complete 1 year of working in Canada?