+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Mature Student

flysahil

Sep 5, 2014
Hi everyone! This is my first post on the forum. Have been following it for sometime and really admire and appreciate everybody's input to help others in need. I have some basic queries which I am sure all of us had on the start. Any feedback, positive or negative is heartily appreciated.

Some background info about me. I am a 30 year old unmarried working professional from India who recently quit his job. Did 12th in 2002 with Physics, Chemistry and Maths(75%). Joined Indian Navy(NDA) and left in Dec,2004 due to family constraints as i was financially handicapped at that time. I was doing a Bachelor of Science Degree that time with NDA and finished 2 years, never got around to do the final year. Did odd jobs till 2006 and became cabin crew with jet. In 2007, i came to Qatar and worked as a flight attendant with them till 2010. Went to USA on a M1 visa for pilot's licence and then to europe again as a student for 3 months for my flight licence. Joined in Qatar airways again in 2012 in hopes of getting inside as a pilot and got the job. Found out in July,2014 about my ear condition which disables me to fly as a pilot. I was depressed and dejected but life goes on and decided to quit my job to start afresh.

I have always been good at studies and would like to do a diploma from canada now. I have no interest in PR or citizenship. I just want to study for 2 years and get work ex for 2 years to get a stable job in India. I don't qualify under SPP according to my knowledge. Looked around for colleges and SAIT and NAIT in Alberta stand out for me. Was thinking of getting an engg. diploma in Petroleum or Geomatics or GeoSciences which have good money and opportunities in Alberta. Again I am not interested in settling down in Canada or else I ll go straight to Saskatchewan. Just want a good diploma for a good job. Now my questions

1. Will it be possible for me to get a student visa general category. I don't have the problem of funds but I have been staying outside India for a while now so dont have ITR's
2. Any other college or courses which I should look into for high paying job. Studies are no problem for me. I have been blessed with a good brain. Just never got to use it
3. I wanted to start in May,2015 but i guess all good courses start in SEP. If anybody knows of a good college with May starts, let me know,

4. Never gave IELTS but i assume I have good English so can I go and give it straight away without any prep or it needs extra effort.

I am sorry for the long post but I wanted to give you all an idea about it all. I appreciate everybody reading this and every response. Thank you and stay blessed

sikanderv

Star Member
Jun 5, 2011
Hyderabad
Category........
Visa Office......
Hyderabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-07-2014
IELTS Request
8 overall (R9 L8.5 S7.5 W7)
File Transfer...
25-07-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-06-2014
Passport Req..
With application
VISA ISSUED...
21-08-2014
LANDED..........
Yet to decide
1. If you dont' have ITRs, you don't have. But you will need to show enough funding and the source of your funding. Pay the first year fee upfront, if you can afford to. If you can't, pay at least first sem fee. Additionally, obtain an education loan from a CIC recognized Indian bank. You will find the list online. Explain in the SoP (to the visa officer) why you don't have ITRs.
2. Ideally, the program/course should be decided based on your interests and your abilitiies. It should be in some way related to your previous studies or your previous work experience. Do your research well on whether a job market exists for that program in India and let the VO know through the SoP.
3. No clue.

Regarding your chances of visa, well, some will say you have a good chance. Some may say you don't stand a chance. Others may say 50-50. I can tell this for sure: No one can predict the chances of visa other than the guy issuing it. ;-) IMHO, you should not unduly worry about the outcome of your visa application. Apply for it with all the right documents and right intentions (which you have), sit back and wait for the result. No point in doing speculative work, this is not the stock market!!

Reactions: Deepanshu96

sarry

Jul 24, 2014
Seems like you do qualify for a SAIT program based on your +2 qualifications.
The thing is sahil SAIT programs accept mature international entry and the
First thing you should consider is applying for a seat in your program of
Choice , so that you get loa which is the prime requirement to apply for
Study permit , now I don't scare you off or something but the hard fact is
Visa approvals for diploma studies are not very great , and in a case like yours
You need a strong SOP and lots of luck on your side provided you meet the
Financial requirements with ease , but then again there are many people who have got
Their visa's successfully even after lots of downsides on their profile .
You seem to have nice plans about Alberta and SAIT and what kind of careers
Their diplomas can fetch for ya . Stay positive and go through the end of it , its
Certainly worth a try .

Good luck

Saahi

Star Member
Jul 17, 2014
If you don't have any aspiration for pr. Then you can also try for Australia, .I have seen many people, who don't get visa from Canada, easily get into Australia.

flysahil

Sep 5, 2014
Thank you all for the replies.

I indeed know visa chances are based on luck. According to my previous work experience, I think hospitality diplomas will be a good case. But I am not interested in that as I want to change my career altogether. Can I enroll for hospitality in SAIT and then change the program once i get the visa (depending on SAIT taking me in that program). I don't need a loan but if it makes a strong case, I will take it.
I was thinking to apply for any relevant SAIT program in May and then change courses in Sep. Can it be done?

Thanks again sikanderv and sarry. You guys spread positivity which is all that matters.
@saahi, thanks for the advice but my preference is to earn money with a good education, thats why i prefer Canada. Have looked into Australia and not interested in cooking and driving along with studying.

jigarcjc

Aug 20, 2014
dear ,

regards first. i want to share some things. will may increase your confidence indeed.
(1) visa chances totally depends on our profile and our SOP.
if u will be able to justify you self and able to prove VO that your are a genuine student. and your future plans are in india only.
so make a strong SOP , ( include things why you choose canada , your future plans!! , why chosen particular institute , about your profile .)
(2) select the course - ( MOST IMPORTANT - from my point of view , do select for 2 years , not for single year dont show that you any how want to reach , go step by step ! also select the course regarding your previous study and your related work experience !)
(3) good financial support ! :D
(4) also show that you will leave country after end of your study .

thats it you will might be through !!!
why i'm sharing because m also having 5+ years of experience and posting the same question u shared !!!
got reply from some of the people who got visa after heavy gap and heavy work experience !
just talked to guy who got visa after 14 years of experience after his graduation !!! :p :p

best of luck !! m also going to apply in NAIT !!

flysahil

Sep 5, 2014
@jigarcjc thanks a lot for your valuable opinion.
Do you know if we can change courses upon reaching canada in the same college

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From me, it's a go ahead! you have bright chances subject to your SOP being same as you mentioned here! It's a strong case.
Sahil, go ahead!

Cheers!

Sonata95

Jul 23, 2008
Hi,

All Senior expert advised you how to prepare for study permit. I think firstly you should focus studying and doing IELTS exam because you may have good English but IELTS is little bit different, second, I don't know if you only get a college diploma degree, do you get a good job when you go back to India?, as per my country (Vietnam) they almost prefer MBA or Master or at least bachelor to get good job after going back home country.

Tks, Thang

flysahil

Sep 5, 2014
sabby2612 said:
From me, it's a go ahead! you have bright chances subject to your SOP being same as you mentioned here! It's a strong case.
Sahil, go ahead!

Cheers!
@sabby... people like you are the confidence boosters. I appreciate your belief. Also, my SOP is exactly the same as mentioned. Hopefully the visa officers will also understand it. I wish you best in all your endeavors.

flysahil

Sep 5, 2014
Sonata95 said:
Hi,

All Senior expert advised you how to prepare for study permit. I think firstly you should focus studying and doing IELTS exam because you may have good English but IELTS is little bit different, second, I don't know if you only get a college diploma degree, do you get a good job when you go back to India?, as per my country (Vietnam) they almost prefer MBA or Master or at least bachelor to get good job after going back home country.

Tks, Thang
@sonata95... thanks for your advice. Been to Nam and I must say a wonderful place with even more wonderful people. I am not concerned about IELTS as I have been in customer service industry dealing with brits and aussies everyday(I am still going to practise but won't take any tuitions). Also, I am not doing MBA because I don't want to work under anyone. Plan is to make enough money in Canada with a relevant job experience, come backhand work for myself. I know I can make more money elsewhere probably but after staying in the middle east for close to 6 years, money along with quality of life is more important to me. I thank you again for your inputs. Best of luck in everything

Boss07

Aug 15, 2018
Can 38 year old guy can get the Study visa and still have a chance to settle down after studies there

jasz_blr

May 28, 2018
Can 38 year old guy can get the Study visa and still have a chance to settle down after studies there
Yes, that is possible but it comes with a lot of 'if'(s).
If, your future program is logical progression from past education.
If, your work experience is relevant to past education and future education is going to open additional door of opportunities.
If, you have good IELTS score (more than 7.5 in most of the cases).
If, you have good financial history.
If, there are enormous job opportunities, at your home country, in the field relevant to your education.
If, you can write extremely good SOP for your application.
If, your paperwork is appropriate according to the checklist.
And many more 'if'(s) ... go through past threads in this forum to find out more on this.

Greatnessuzo

Jan 29, 2021
Hello everyone,
I applied for two years diploma in college, but my visa got rejected.

the study plan on file is not consistent

Taking into account the academic and professional background of the subject, I am not satisfied that the applicant's intention is only to study in Canada. I have doubts that the subject is an intended immigrant.

not satisfied that subject has the necessary financial resources for a possible stay in Canada

must depend on the participation of diverse members of his family and entourage to be able to live and study in Canada
[29/01, 11:33] Grace Found Me. ~ Uzo: on the basis of the documents provided, particularly those relating to funds, motive for the trip family ties, I am not convinced that req intends to leave Canada once his studies are completed. I am not satisfied with the applicant's dual intent. Based on the documents provided, I am not satisfied that the applicant meets the criteria of R179