+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Experience Canada (Working Holiday) Multi-entry questions

travellinglad

Aug 17, 2013
Hi!

Apologies if this is in the wrong section etc. but I have a few questions regarding the IEC program. I am a UK citizen and have been accepted/received my letter of confirmation etc. and have until March to activate my visa. Will it be possible for me to go to Canada at the end of February, activate my visa as I enter and then go on a 3 week trip to the US, back into Canada for a week then to Uruguay for a month and back into Canada for the rest of the year after that.

I guess basically I'm asking if anyone has experience travelling while on the working holiday and if they were fine using it as a multientry visa, the information online seems pretty unclear.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

travellinglad said:
Hi!

Apologies if this is in the wrong section etc. but I have a few questions regarding the IEC program. I am a UK citizen and have been accepted/received my letter of confirmation etc. and have until March to activate my visa. Will it be possible for me to go to Canada at the end of February, activate my visa as I enter and then go on a 3 week trip to the US, back into Canada for a week then to Uruguay for a month and back into Canada for the rest of the year after that.

I guess basically I'm asking if anyone has experience travelling while on the working holiday and if they were fine using it as a multientry visa, the information online seems pretty unclear.
1. Yes.
2. As you are UK citizen, you don';t require a TRV (visitor visa) to enter Canada.

adamowers

Apr 1, 2016
Hi, sorry slightly late with this one.

I just wanted to check whether this all worked out OK for you picking up your Working Holiday visa and then leaving Canada fairly shortly afterwards and then returning.

I was on the IEC Working Holiday Visa waiting list for quite a while and therefore my plans had to change. I was successful which is great. I have a deadline of 1st October 2016 for expiration of my Letter of Introduction. However, I am starting University this autumn. What I would like to do is factor visiting Canada into my plans this summer to collect my Working Holiday visa and then return in June 2017 and stay for three - four months. My question is much as yours: can I collect my Working Holiday Visa, leave Canada after about 10 days and then return next year to work?

I would be grateful of any confirmation you could give. Many thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

adamowers said:
Hi, sorry slightly late with this one.

I just wanted to check whether this all worked out OK for you picking up your Working Holiday visa and then leaving Canada fairly shortly afterwards and then returning.

I was on the IEC Working Holiday Visa waiting list for quite a while and therefore my plans had to change. I was successful which is great. I have a deadline of 1st October 2016 for expiration of my Letter of Introduction. However, I am starting University this autumn. What I would like to do is factor visiting Canada into my plans this summer to collect my Working Holiday visa and then return in June 2017 and stay for three - four months. My question is much as yours: can I collect my Working Holiday Visa, leave Canada after about 10 days and then return next year to work?

I would be grateful of any confirmation you could give. Many thanks.
1. You will only get a 1 (assuming the IEC for your country is only 1 year) year work permit from the date that you enter Canada. So if you enter this Summer, you probably won't have 3/4 months time left when you return.

adamowers

Apr 1, 2016
Thanks - pleased you picked this up after such a long time since your original post. I'm pretty sure that the Working Holiday Visa for the UK is 24 months or that is what it was when I applied. Maybe things have changed as I know there have been other changes in the application process now.

You didn't have any problem leaving Canada soon after presenting your letter of introduction / receiving your Working Holiday Visa and returning later to work? Thanks again for your help.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Your plan is OK but be aware you will need to meet the IEC arrival requirements even though you dont intend to stay on initially. So proof of funds (2500 CAD) and travel insurance for the full term that you want your visa so if for example you go over in June 2016 to activate then want to return June 2017 for 3/4 months you would need to show insurance through October 2017. Also check travel insurance allows for return home trips as some policies either are void when returning home or have a time limitation. Unfortunately IEC is geared for people doing the full term or at least 12 months from arrival and doesnt really work too well for people dipping in/out and there are lot of people who didnt get an IEC plus plenty still waiting in 2016 who plan on full IEC term .

adamowers

Apr 1, 2016
Thank you. This is very helpful. I'll check out the insurance issue.

Could I just ask what period the IEC Working Holiday Visa is actually valid for? When I applied I read and was working on the basis that it was 24 months. But it appears now it is only for 12 months. Also, the letter of introduction states "Note: Workers are permitted to work in Canada for up to four years cumulatively. You are encouraged to keep track of any time you have not worked in Canada and retain any documents that can prove the time during which you did not work"

Is it 12 months and is it possible to extend? Many thanks for your help.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
adamowers said:
Thank you. This is very helpful. I'll check out the insurance issue.

Could I just ask what period the IEC Working Holiday Visa is actually valid for? When I applied I read and was working on the basis that it was 24 months. But it appears now it is only for 12 months. Also, the letter of introduction states "Note: Workers are permitted to work in Canada for up to four years cumulatively. You are encouraged to keep track of any time you have not worked in Canada and retain any documents that can prove the time during which you did not work"

Is it 12 months and is it possible to extend? Many thanks for your help.
so you are a uk citizen and you applied in 2015 when uk iec was changed to 24 months. Are you saying you landed in March 2016 if so all i can suggest is either you only had 12 months insurance or the CBSa officer in error only gave you 12 months instead of 24 given some countries other than uk only have 12 months. The Reference to 4 years is likely a blanket statement for temporary workers and not really relevant to IEC unless someone gets another temp visa on top on IEC. The IEC visa cannot be extended its a once off so either you need to contact immigration or CBSA at port of entry if you met the entry conditions.

Thomas.M

Nov 29, 2017
Hi,
I am now in my fifth month of a one year IEC, I want to return to the Netherlands for a week.
I have only a single entry visa and I don't know if I can return to canada does somebody can give me the answer if can go or can't go back.

Thomas

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,
I am now in my fifth month of a one year IEC, I want to return to the Netherlands for a week.
I have only a single entry visa and I don't know if I can return to canada does somebody can give me the answer if can go or can't go back.

Thomas
Hi

If you hold a Dutch passport, then you don't have or need a visa. You would have been issued an eTA when you were approved for your work permit. You can see that here https://onlineservices-servicesenligne.cic.gc.ca/eta/applicationQuery?lang=en.

If you hold a non visa-exempt passport, you will need to apply for a new TRV.

Thomas.M

Nov 29, 2017

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
so I can enter Canada with my work holiday visa as many times as I want within the one year ??
Within reason. If you are leaving and entering frequently, CBSA may get suspicious and eventually deny you entry.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
its only for once and its a week of 10 days thats it
As said above you should have no issues at all and whilst as a temporary resident you are subject to CBSA assessment every time there are plenty of examples of people on IEC travelling in and out.

Just ensure you still have your IEC permit still stapled in your passport. The IEC permit is not a travel document , that is your passport, but does give a reason to CBSA for you to come back into the country.