+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Experience Canada Work Permit

umberto86

Apr 10, 2012
Hello,
I came across this forum on google and notice that there are some great explanations here and thought that maybe i could get some help.

To make a long story short... my brother in law came to Canada from Italy with a acceptance letter from the International Experience Canada, in which he was released a work permit upon his arrival upon his arrival in Toronto.

When the work permit was issued at the border he received a work permit valid for 6 months.
Now the other part of the story is that my sister, his wife, is a canadian citizen.
They both have a baby which was born in Italy and is now just over a year old.

They are looking to live here permanently, but are afraid that once the work permit expires (which is on may 26th 2012) he will be asked to leave.

We have contacted an immigration lawyer, and they told us to just apply for a renewal/extension of his work permit even though, from my understand, it seems that this permit may not be renewed and once expired it's no good.

What can he do in order to remain legally in canada and working?

He's a carpenter and has been working for a contractor doing trim for 5 months now. His SIN card has an expiration date on it which is the same as the work permit.
He's also under the local 27 carpenters union.

Should we just pay the fee for the extension on the cic website so that he can get an implied status in the meantime they review his application? So that he can apply for a LMO and if approved apply for a closed work permit?

Any help and suggestions are much appreciated.
Thank you!