+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Experience Canada - What Health Insurance to buy? (UK citizen)

gideonj

Oct 11, 2011
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-9-2012
Med's Done....
11-06-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2013
Hi forums! I've tried my best to search these forums for this answer, but I cannot find it - lots of related content, but nothing that actually talks about what people went with in the end.

My situation:

- Going to Vancouver, BC
-I've applied for and and received my letter of invitation. I've been asked to present passport, proof of funds (£2000) and proof of comprehensive insurance coverage (health care / hospitalization / repatriation) that will remain valid for the duration of the stay.

I'm lost in a world of insurers! My questions:

- Should I be purchasing travel (like holiday) insurance, or local, more like private health care insurance that a native Canadian might have?
- If I get a job (I hope so!) in Vancouver I hear that its common for a company to pay benefits like health cover, so I should get a policy I can cancel as that might replace it?
- Does anyone have a recommendation of a policy that is good for someone in my situation (better yet, you ARE in my situation but a few months further ahead of me?)
- I've read one recommendation for someone in a different situation that they get bluecross, anyone able to confirm they are good?

Thanks so much in advance for your help with this!

Haitokin

Star Member
Aug 28, 2011
Wow. Not much help with this topic for a few months. Here's my full disclosure: i am a licensed travel insurance agent :eek:

The type of insurance that you want (exceptable by Immigration officials as it meets all their stipulated health care/ hospitalization/ repatriation requirements), is Visitors to Canada insurance offered by a Canadian insurance company. There really is no 'private health insurance' that Canadian's buy while they are in Canada. There are supplemental plans for Canadians that want extra help with dental and extended health benefits, but Canada has a one tier health care system so 'private health insurance' in Canada is only supplemental health care benefits.

To meet the IEC requirements, the insurance must provide for primary coverage of possible health care expenses - most notably, for emergency illness and accidental injury. That means, you'll need to buy a Visitors to Canada travel health insurance policy.

To help you look through the options available, you are best to use a comparable quote engine, like the one offered by BestQuote Travel Insurance Agency: http://www.bestquotetravelinsurance.ca/International-Experience-Canada-%28IEC%29-Insurance

Fortunately, last December the Canadian government created a new 10 year multi entry super visa which also requires proof of medical insurance while in Canada, so there are a lot more policy options out there to choose from - which helps lower costs. You'll find that while there may be a few different comparable quote websites available in Canada, BestQuote has the largest selection (and therefore, the lowest prices and/or highest quality policies available). Our prices are (by regulation) exactly the same as you'll find elsewhere (other brokers or from the insurance companies direct). The industry competes based on service - or, at least, WE do. We'll be there at claim time to help, or to help you apply for a refund and avoid administration fees, or change the dates if need be.

Once you receive the instant quote by completing the (green) quote request form, you can change deductible amounts, to lower the price, and view policy features and benefit details by clicking on the 'summary' button. You'll find exact wordings from the policy regarding important considerations such as refunds and extensions. In terms of costs, that will depend on your age somewhat, but you are probably looking at $600-$800 for a one year policy. You can also find additional information about visitors to Canada policies here: http://www.bestquotetravelinsurance.ca/visitors-to-canada-insurance

When you buy a policy online by clicking on the blue 'purchase' button beside the price, you receive an email (within a few hours at most) with the insurance documents required by the IEC program to print out and bring with you to Canada.

Purchasing insurance online is relatively straightforward, but if you have some specific questions, call BestQuote at 1-888-888-0510.

goldenbrown

Jan 11, 2011
Vancouver
Should I be purchasing travel (like holiday) insurance, or local, more like private health care insurance that a native Canadian might have?
- If I get a job (I hope so!) in Vancouver I hear that its common for a company to pay benefits like health cover, so I should get a policy I can cancel as that might replace it?
- Does anyone have a recommendation of a policy that is good for someone in my situation (better yet, you ARE in my situation but a few months further ahead of me?)
- I've read one recommendation for someone in a different situation that they get bluecross, anyone able to confirm they are good?
The type of insurance you are looking for is called Visitors to Canada. It is a private health insurance from a Canadian insurance company. Some benefits of going with local insurance providers include:

Easier to file a claim and receive your money back

Canadian insurers mostly set up direct billing so that you don't have to pay out of your pocket (as is the case with backpackers insurance)

Comprehensive coverage and benefits (sports and all kinds of work included)

Local branches where you can come and speak with a representative

If for some reason you no longer need your policy you can cancel it and receive a refund for the unused days.

There is one company that provides coverage for up to 18 months which might be a good idea for IEC. It is more affordable that other companies out there and they provide comprehensive coverage, hospitalization, repatriation, drugs and so on. You can take a look at coverage details as well as apply online here: Select visitors in the calculator to look up and compare the quotes.

http://arbetovinsurance.com/travelance-visitors-insurance/

goldenbrown

Jan 11, 2011
Vancouver
IEC visa holders can also get coverage for up to 2 years. IEC insurance plans can include additional features such as routine check ups, eye exams and maternity coverage for up to $10,000.

For more information on specific requirements and to use our rate calculator for looking up quotes, visit

http://arbetovinsurance.com/iec-travel-insurance/

Clients can get help through live chat or email

You can also call a toll free number 1 877 211 4301 for more information

staccato

Feb 27, 2014
This post is just in time :)

I just received my IEC and was looking online for some medical insurance for my 1 year working holiday visa in Canada and bingo!

Just looking through the plans now on arbetovinsurance..

Thanks guys
S

goldenbrown

Jan 11, 2011
Vancouver
Steevy said:
I was wondering what would be the best medical insurance plan in terms of benefits like dental and medical care?
I would suggest TIC. It is probably among the best in terms of benefits and coverage. But the best thing about them is that they offer coverage for some check ups, eye exam, pregnancy coverage as well as coverage on your flight to Canada. Pre-existing sicknesses and injuries can also be covered. Global insurers and backpackers usually don't have these features.

<a href=http://arbetovinsurance.com/why-i-choose-tic/>IEC Insurance</a>

You can use the link above to read more about the benefits offered by TIC.

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
Thanx for that. By the way, on your website I've found this TravelUnderwriters plan that seems to be slightly better at the first glance and the price is not that different from the TIC one. Or there are some eligibility or refund issues with TU?

goldenbrown

Jan 11, 2011
Vancouver
There are absolutely no issues with TU. Both companies offer similar plans, however TIC offers a unique plan that would probably suit IEC visa holder better, since it covers check ups, vaccinations and possible pregnancies. You never know what can happen.

Haitokin

Star Member
Aug 28, 2011
Well, I see that Mr GoldenBrown and Mr Steevy (both from Arbetov Insurance) :eek: seem to be having a conversation back and forth about the plans they offer. Don't be fooled. They don't offer as many plans to choose from as BestQuote Travel Insurance Agency:

https://www.bestquotetravelinsurance.ca/visitors-to-canada-insurance

This is an older thread, and you can see by looking at the dates that it took Arbetov Insurance a couple years to find it. Don't reward them with your business for the 'dialogue' they are having. If you have questions about coverage possibilities, call BestQuote at 1-888-888-0510. They'll be happy to help.

BestQuote has policies available for up to 2 years for Irish and Ausrtalian IEC visa holders, and the widest selection of Canadian (and even a few non-Canadian) policies to choose from.

JeremyBakker

Nov 8, 2017
I will probably take Global PVT to go Canada, do I need to get an extra health insurance when I arrive in canada through my employer ?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I will probably take Global PVT to go Canada, do I need to get an extra health insurance when I arrive in canada through my employer ?
So do they cover the full term of your IEC program given you need to be prepared to show CBSA a policy that covers the full 1 or 2 year term else the work permit will only be issued for the equivalent term.

JeremyBakker

Nov 8, 2017
So do they cover the full term of your IEC program given you need to be prepared to show CBSA a policy that covers the full 1 or 2 year term else the work permit will only be issued for the equivalent term.
Yes it will cover my 2 years + I will be eligible for the Ontario Health Insurance plan...but some people told me to take an extra coverage with all that..Should I take an extra one or not ?