+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

International Experience Canada-Changes for 2015.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

CIC has just announced pretty massive changes to the IEC program which should open soon. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/opinion/experience/bilat.asp

1. It appears that Australian's are going to be the big losers. 1 participation in the WHV for 2 years and another in the Young Professionals or International Co-op for 12 months. No longer unlimited participations for those under 35.
2. UK 1 participation for 2 years.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Interesting. That's going to mess a lot of people up who were expecting to participate again. Having said that, I supposed it will give more people an opportunity to participate.

jansnarski

Jan 14, 2015
wow thats pretty crazy. But understandable. I am looking to re apply when they open and have been on this visa 3 times previous. As soon as i get it i will be applying for my permanent residency through the common law route.

Does anyone have any info on when they will be enforcing these restrictions, and will they be counting previous visas or just those starting from this year??

this definitely throws a spanner in plans...

any info would be great.

jansnarski

Jan 14, 2015
what about this statement on the website.

"Participation in International Experience Canada (IEC) with a recognized organization does not count towards the frequency of participation allowed by the specific country agreements."

Is this a loophole for people in my situation??

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
jansnarski said:
Does anyone have any info on when they will be enforcing these restrictions, and will they be counting previous visas or just those starting from this year??
They will be enforcing them immediately (see the footnotes for exclusions / details). They will count previous visas.

If you've already participated in the program three times previously and are from Australia, you don't qualify for any further IECs.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
jansnarski said:
what about this statement on the website.

"Participation in International Experience Canada (IEC) with a recognized organization does not count towards the frequency of participation allowed by the specific country agreements."

Is this a loophole for people in my situation??
What recognized organization are you working with?

jansnarski

Jan 14, 2015
Thanks for getting back to me Scylla,

from the website a company called SWAP holidays is noted as a recognized organization, Their partner company is IEP for australia

iep.org.nz, they are based in NZ but take care of Australians also.

It kind of makes sense as this new restriction can greatly effect their business of return customers but if this is true then I should be fine, trying to stay positive here!

I will work with any recognized organization for this, I have reached out to IEP for more info and am awaiting a response. Thanks again Scylla, let me know what you think

robbie_m90

Jan 28, 2015
Will there be an option to choose a 12 or 24 month visa?

Or will they just give you the highest one that you are entitled to automatically?

SarahRose

Jul 6, 2014
So in reference to the NZ-Canada agreement now being 23 months instead of 12, would it apply to NZ residents who are already over here on the IEC?

jblinco86

Feb 3, 2015
jansnarski said:

from the website a company called SWAP holidays is noted as a recognized organization, Their partner company is IEP for australia

It kind of makes sense as this new restriction can greatly effect their business of return customers but if this is true then I should be fine, trying to stay positive here!

I will work with any recognized organization for this, I have reached out to IEP for more info and am awaiting a response. Thanks again Scylla, let me know what you think
Please let me know the outcome of your conversation! I am here on my first Working Holiday and will be at the end of the 24 months in October of this year and definitely want to extend. :( This is very sad news.

kiwivisa

Oct 20, 2014
SarahRose said:
So in reference to the NZ-Canada agreement now being 23 months instead of 12, would it apply to NZ residents who are already over here on the IEC?
would love to know the answer to this!
my 12 month nz visa is up end of feb, does anyone know if we can extend it to 23 months?!

Fenster

Star Member
Dec 24, 2010
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2011
File Transfer...
04-04-12
Med's Request
Oct 2011
Med's Done....
Oct 2011
Passport Req..
27-08-12
So then, if you are an Australian who is 24 and coming to the end of their first visa, they'll now have to leave as soon as that visa is up?

pziegler1986

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jansnarski said:

Hey mate - I'm in the same situation as you - current WHP expiring (in May) and want to extend - gutted to see the recent bilateral changes - however at the moment they officially haven't been publicly announced. I imagine there's going to be a more official announcement (I hope)! I called IEP Australia and asked the same question - the girl on the phone suggested that we are still eligible for a second participation but they don't have 100% information from the Consulate as of yet.

The way I read that sentence, it definitely sounds like a loophole so that these organisations can still retain and attract revenue.

hope for the best

Star Member
May 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
unknown
NOC Code......
6XXX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi
My employer is looking for qualified person who likes to apply for "Young Professionals" under International Experience Canada in 2015, and they are willing to provide the employment contract for you to apply for Young Professionals under IEC. However you must never apply IEC before and your country must be one of those countries which has IEC agreement with Canada.

Moreover you also need to be either have at least one year of relevant working experience or hold a degree in Food & Beverage industry.

If you are not sure your country has IEC agreement or not and also want to find out more about Young Professionals then please click on this site, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/

If you are the right person and a good worker then before your one year end that my employer is willing to help you to apply for LMIA so you can continue working in Canada afterward.

Something about us, we are a chain pizza shop in a small town in Alberta and the main job duties are making pizza, take orders, food preparation, and able to lift about 25lb. And of course you must be able to communicate in English.

PS: Right now we don't have any extra LMIA on hand so if you are looking for LMIA only then please don't leave any comment here. We want someone who is able to apply for YOUNG PROFESSIONALS under IEC for this year then my employer will help to apply for LMIA in 2016 if they think you are a good employee to keep. THANK YOU

jansnarski

Jan 14, 2015
Hey pziegler1986,

Sorry have not been on here in a while , SO i spoke with both SWAP and IEP and both told me I was not eligible for IEC again. It felt like a loophole for a second and would have been perfect. sorry to be the bearer of bad news. The changes have been a massive blow to a lot of people, A little bit of warning would have been nice ay???